*** The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Thread ***

Soldato
So no cpu improvements, smaller battery, iris thing I will turn off after showing me mates and a curved screen.
It's like Samsung looked at my wanted list and did the complete opposite :p

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I tried the iris scanner on my Lumia 950 this week. It said it could not detect my eyes!!!

Not sure if racist phone, or just iris scanner being pants.

Soldato
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...-scanner-leaked-and-it-sounds-a-bit-pointless

Iris scanner sounds a bit pointless.

For example, the scanner is unlikely to work if you’re wearing glasses or contacts, in strong sunlight, in low light, if you’ve had laser surgery, when the device is lower than your face and if your eyes are narrowed or puffy.

It’ll also struggle if the iris camera is exposed to humid conditions, if you’re using a screen protector or when the Note 7 is tilted too much

Last edited:
Associate
I know they are mostly rumours and there is only a week to wait, but has there been any side by side comparisons between the N7 and S7E?

As much as I want to get the N7 as my last 2 phones have been Notes and have loved them (apart from my 4 which is really testing my patience atm) from the latest runours that are flying around, I really can't see that much difference between each handset now.....

Soldato
I know they are mostly rumours and there is only a week to wait, but has there been any side by side comparisons between the N7 and S7E?

As much as I want to get the N7 as my last 2 phones have been Notes and have loved them (apart from my 4 which is really testing my patience atm) from the latest runours that are flying around, I really can't see that much difference between each handset now.....

Have to wait till the 2nd too see a true side by side all rumours at the moment :(

Soldato

Was thinking about this. Don't really use the pen... and the s7e will be way cheaper with 99% of the performance and a bigger battery? Not long to wait now

Soldato
I don't believe it will be a flop...it will be successful but its just not a worthwhile upgrade from the s7 edge. Quite poor in terms of an upgrade really if the specs are true.

Soldato
Well, no... I don't think anyone on the planet was expecting it to be a worthwhile upgrade from a flagship phone of only a few months back, where they?

Having said that, I've been on my Note 5 since launch and don't have the itch to change... and I usually switch every 3 to 6 months. We'll wait and see exactly what they are offering though.

Soldato
Doesn't look like it's going to be a flop to me, why so?

It just doesn't seem like upgrade big enough from my note 4. If the battery was a lot better and performance was ahead of its time then it would have been worth more but it appears that it's not much of a jump and the technology isn't groundbreaking either.

I guess we'll have to wait for some pre-release reviews and confirmed specs and see.

As mentioned, if I can get another 30% discount on contract (unfortunately this was done for 4 years in a row through phones4u which is no longer with us) then I'll consider it but for something silly like £45-50 a month contract then it's just not worth it.

Soldato
I personally wouldn't say they were. I've used all the S phones, each time I like them, then wait for the slightly better Note with the bigger screen. I don't recall ever noticing a giant leap in tech from the S to the Note.

Also, generally tech advancements are slowing down again. I remember when we were stuck on 600mhz CPU's for ages, then they exploded into a whole new level. I think now we're reaching the upper elements again with less headroom for improvement.

My 27" monitor is only 1080p for example, why would I need more than that in a device 6" in size? (aside VR) There's just not as much that can improve.

Soldato
I personally wouldn't say they were. I've used all the S phones, each time I like them, then wait for the slightly better Note with the bigger screen. I don't recall ever noticing a giant leap in tech from the S to the Note.

Also, generally tech advancements are slowing down again. I remember when we were stuck on 600mhz CPU's for ages, then they exploded into a whole new level. I think now we're reaching the upper elements again with less headroom for improvement.

My 27" monitor is only 1080p for example, why would I need more than that in a device 6" in size? (aside VR) There's just not as much that can improve.

There has been a significant difference with previous notes.

.. Mmm. I still have the note 3.

Comparisons between the S4 and note 3 released same year.

S3: 2600mah vs note 3 :3200mah

S4:Snapdragon 600 processor and 2GB of RAM.

The Galaxy Note 3’s quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor and 3GB of RAM helped it blow away both the Galaxy S4 and smartphone category averages across multiple tests that year.

Personally I think if the leaks are true the N7 edge is a letdown.

Associate
There has been a significant difference with previous notes.

.. Mmm. I still have the note 3.

Comparisons between the S4 and note 3 released same year.

S3: 2600mah vs note 3 :3200mah

S4:Snapdragon 600 processor and 2GB of RAM.

The Galaxy Note 3’s quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor and 3GB of RAM helped it blow away both the Galaxy S4 and smartphone category averages across multiple tests that year.

Personally I think if the leaks are true the N7 edge is a letdown.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

As another Note 3 owners, I've not felt the need to upgrade until now. Yet when I purchased the Note 3, like you said, it blew everything else out of the water for me, and so it was worth the cost.

With the Note 7, you now have the likes of the Chinese phone thread, the 6P, Oneplus 3, the Axon 7 etc all pushing features, power and battery life while all being a LOT cheaper than the likely price of the Note 7.

Note 7 at £700 but having out of the ball park future proofing power (as much as you can in the phone world) might have seen be buy it SIM free, but with new phones coming out left, right and centre that might beat it within a couple of months, I'm out of the Samsung game after about four models in a row.

Now my thoughts are more towards spending around the £350 mark on a phone that will stay with me for 12-18 months, but with £350 spare should something amazing come out in that time.

Back
Top Bottom