Is the EU migrant quota system about to fall apart?

Permabanned
OP
It's the same tired stuff over and over. Post a headline and some quote from a (generally) right wing bias news story about migrants then barely contribute to the debate you've started.

What's Chris Wilson's solution to the problem of immigration?

I have cited my opinion many times, ask Australia nicely for their handbook on the subject.

Caporegime
It's already less than 4% in Stoke-on-trent and 2% in the county he lives in.

When would he be happy? 100% White British?

Net migration to the UK (correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe anyone measures net migration to Stoke-on-Trent) is currently running at around +350,000 people a year. Bringing that number down to around +50,000 people per year will reduce many of the problems associated with immigration.

Soldato
And also reduce the benefits associated with immigration.

Also your soundbite does not really have anything to do with the irony of the OP being so concerned about migrants when he lives in an area where there is very little of them.

So scorza, what will happen to stoke when that magic number is achieved?

Caporegime
I have cited my opinion many times, ask Australia nicely for their handbook on the subject.

I'd rather not, housing migrants indefinitely in off-shore 'detention centres' (basically prisons) isn't my idea of a good system

Apparently Teresa May doesn't approve either

May questioned whether the type of system that admits migrants based on their skills was effective, and did not rule out retaining preferential access arrangements for EU citizens. “One of the issues is whether or not points-based systems do work,” she said, stressing that there was “no single silver bullet” on reducing immigration.

Soldato

Also your soundbite does not really have anything to do with the irony of the OP being so concerned about migrants when he lives in an area where there is very little of them.

That's not even the point: scorza, floundering on his overgeneralised bigotry once again, has shifted the goalposts to lump every single category of migrant together and casually dropped in an arbitrary UKIP net cap on it all of 50K, with no basis in fact or reality or an economic projection, ignoring the already tough facts on asylum that don't fit his panic-stricken narrative:

• 64% of initial asylum applications are refused; this can be as high as 72% in some years! (The lowest I think is 59% to date in some quarters.)
  • The UK's share of European asylum claims has declined from 2008 to 2015
  • We've resettled over 1,000 people from Syria in the UK in 2015; OMG THE SKY IS FALLING!

The numbers are so small as to be insignificant per UK's population!

The counter argument 'but I saw one is Stoke the other day, he probably has a car, six houses and all the benefits, don't you know!' is truly magical. Where have I heard this before? Ah yes, we stigmatise social security in the same way, though the small comfort of course is that the poor happen to be local or moved by the government saving cash.

This circular argument to pull the bridge up is truly pathetic. But to add insult to injury on his own goalposts -- Australia's immigration rate is roughly double ours! It also manages '28.2% of Australia's estimated resident population (ERP) (6.7 million people) was born overseas'. Far from scorza's 'pure', static wonderland.

Caporegime

Upward pressure on wages, downward pressure on public services (such as schools, GP appointments), housing and unemployment.

Soldato
Upward pressure on wages, downward pressure on public services (such as schools, GP appointments), housing and unemployment.

Don't forget higher unemployment, less jobs in the economy due to reduced activity, greater ageing population, no guaranteed infrastructure investment boost or protection from service cuts from the only government in power, and higher pension contributions needed immediately to boot in your soup. Heck, there's no guarantee of the priorities shifting from the SE/London region -- at all.

Caporegime
My English uncle moved to Australia in the 80's with his family. He has one British born daughter and one Australian born daughter.

Now most of his Facebook posts are complaining about migrants, but of course it's the non-white ones that he really cares about.

He also complains that the indigenous (displaced) aboriginal population are alcoholic wasters.

You couldn't make it up really.

Soldato
There will be more pressure if there were less migrants to pay tax. You dont pay their education nor pay for them when they are at their most expensive (after retirement), they also use health service less than the locals.

You should be looking to put pressure on the government to better fund these institutes to accommodate for more pressure, rather than remove those who help fund them.

The cost of living will always be tuned to the wage people receive. If you want more spending money, upping the wage does not help, lowering the cost of living does. Target things that make the cost of living high rather than the wages themselves. Despite what the DM says about migrants, the housing and rent market is costly due to competition created by the buy to let housing culture. More limitations should be put on buy to let mortgages and the rent sector. Reasonable rent and mortgage prices would make a far bigger difference to each persons personal wealth than shuffling around migrant jobs.

Soldato
My English uncle moved to Australia in the 80's with his family. He has one British born daughter and one Australian born daughter.

Now most of his Facebook posts are complaining about migrants, but of course it's the non-white ones that he really cares about.

He also complains that the indigenous (displaced) aboriginal population are alcoholic wasters.

So is he going to become a Boomerang Pom or what? :D

Caporegime

I am Australian, and I live in Australia. 25% of our population was born overseas. We're a multicultural nation and proud of it. Together with Canada, Australia arguably has one of the most successful multicultural societies in the world.

Not quite, what's happened to the Bangladeshis, Pakistanis, Indians and other Asians? They seem to have been wiped out overnight. Oversight? Deliberately left out hoping no one will notice?

The population of these ethnic groups in Stoke is probably too small to be statistically significant. I've been to Stoke, it's basically wall to wall white people. You could be forgiven for thinking you'd arrived on White Day in Whitetown during National White Week.

Permabanned
OP
Most of them are British born, so not migrants and come under British born. Unless it is about race?

But there's not a single one in the figures, not one! And I would hazard a guess Asians make up the largest percentage. I call it a fix, a blatant misrepresentation. Why would someone do that? I would hazard a guess because they are frightened of posting a realistic appraisal, as it doesn't suit their agenda as a blinkered supporter of uncontrolled immigration perhaps?

Associate

I know an Australian ex-Pat who says the same about the Aboriginals. They are mostly non-working alcoholics.

From 2008-2012 in NSW, Qld, WA, SA and NT, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people were 4.9 times more likely to die due to alcohol use than non-Indigenous people

http://www.healthinfonet.ecu.edu.au/health-facts/summary

It appears his assumption may have been historically correct, however it seems things have improved since 2012 -

Levels of long-term/lifetime drinking risk (more than two standard drinks per day) were similar for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and non-Indigenous people. One-in-five drinkers aged 18 years and over in 2012-2013, drank at levels exceeding the 2009 guidelines for long-term/lifetime drinking risk [132]. However, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people were 1.4 times more likely to drink at levels of ‘high risk’ of lifetime harm than non-Indigenous people.

Permabanned
OP

Why do you assume he's making it up, he's posting his feet on the ground, actually living over there in Australia opinion. I have relatives in Oz, who have lived there for several generations, and they concur with your uncle's opinion of the aborigines in general.

Caporegime
But there's not a single one in the figures, not one!

*cough**********cough*

90.2% of people living in Stoke-on-Trent were born in England. Other top answers for country of birth were 1.7% Pakistan, 0.7% Scotland, 0.7% India, 0.6% Wales, 0.3% Philippines, 0.3% Zimbabwe, 0.2% Ireland, 0.2% China, 0.2% Northern Ireland.

(Source).

Caporegime

Australia has always been a racist country. I don't know why anyone would want to go there unless they were racist.

Back
Top Bottom