***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Caporegime
Folks, I would be grateful for some help.

I have an Nvidia Graphics card and I'm not 100% clued up about the whole Gysnc/Freesync, higher refresh rate possibilities...

Are G/Freesync software or hardware based implementations?

Basically I have 3 x 24" monitors which is good, but I want to move to a superwide screen. Ideally 34", don't mind going up to £1k on this.

Would appreciate your input and advise folks. Thanks very much in advance.

What's your card?

Caporegime
Sorry mate, silly detail to leave out.

980Ti, considering either SLI-ing or just getting a 1080 eventually.

Get an x34 and a 1080

It's a wow:D

Gsync is software in driver and hardware in Monitor.

If you want 100fps to match your 100hz then a 1080 is really needed.

Although your 980ti will be fine for now.

Associate
How its "proper answer to the BLB lottery"? Current Samsung "QD backlight" tech is just a diffuser sheet impregnated with QD phosphor for wider gamut.
Its still edge lit, and entirely of diffuser tech (with imperfections and all difficulty of uniform lighting of large curved screen) - exactly the same as it on any other edge-lit display.

Released & tested Samsung TVs with QD backlight did not really show any marked increase in black uniformity.

Well, all VA screens I came across had less issues with BLB than IPS screens. Maybe it was just a coincidence, though. We all know how much variance there is when it comes to individual units of LCD displays.

Soldato
Cheers easyrider.
So to confirm, is 100Hz a fixed frequency? Not possible to change this?
What would happen if I am not outputting 100fps? what would be the physical manifestation of this exactly?

And X34 presumably is the Predator?

I just need to take pause here before I place the order. A grand for a monitor... is it crazy?

Caporegime
Cheers easyrider.
So to confirm, is 100Hz a fixed frequency? Not possible to change this?
What would happen if I am not outputting 100fps? what would be the physical manifestation of this exactly?

And X34 presumably is the Predator?

I just need to take pause here before I place the order. A grand for a monitor... is it crazy?

100hz is the refresh rate...you set it in the driver...

If you dip GYSYNC makes things smooth so you get no trearing...

Once you take the blue pill and see it Superwide gaming is superb...:p

The people who don't rate it haven't tried it...:D

I love Superwide....I swapped out my 2x 27inch dells for a Superwide in my studio...it's just better !

I've got the x34 predator for my gaming PC....

Caporegime
Cheers easy. Will consider the X34.

Just out of interest, what other alternatives are there to the X34 in Gsync variant?
Read "cheaper":D ?

None

You can go z35 but 34 inch at 1080p would suck...:p

My view is you can't take it with you...just enjoy it...

Plus you'll get 3 years and more out of it....so break it down 300 quid a year less than a pound a day for Superwide buttery gameplay...;)

Associate
I heard that there's frame rate issues with Deus Ex, people with insanely good hardware are struggling to break 60fps. Similar issue with Mafia 3 I understand, god awful coding means a really poor PC port.

But I have the x34a with a 1080 and I can tell you it's bloody lovely.

Associate

Received this monitor today and well .... it clearly wasn't tested before sending out.
Whole screen had flashing pixels so return arranged. (shame a new replacement wasn't offered :()
Have ordered the 34UC88 as I don't need the thunderbolt ports.

Whilst the monitor was setup I had a quick try with freesync makes a huge difference from my old monitor.

Roll on delivery of my next monitor (touches wood it is ok)

Caporegime
Love the desk, but do you find that the monitor is too close?

How much room is there for the tower?

Thanks

I can move the monitor forwards and backwards...so I've got it just right for me....

The shelf will fit a midi tower just right... or you can have one either side...

In my studio I have my music PC and HP microserver on each shelf...

I ordered a Freddie online...it was a day late so they sent me another for free

The shelves either side of the monitor are perfect for speakers or studio grade monitors...

:cool:

Last edited:
Associate
Received my 34UC88 yesterday and set everything up today.

Have 2 questions:

1. I seem to have image retention/burn in (not sure what it is called) Only really happens when going from light background to dark backgrounds. (Browser into Photoshop) ... Is this normal?

2. When scolling there seems to be white shadow around the text ... is there a fix on this?

cheers.

Back
Top Bottom