Fuji X Series

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Hey Zaf. I noticed you put your location as Derbyshire. Do you know Buxton at all? I was there on the 2nd December, quite by accident photographing the lantern parade). I didn't use a flash so my photos were in the noisey/still useable category. Buxton are apparently going to use them for PR purpose when they promote their next parade so keep an eye out. ;)

Fantastic! Great stuff Ethan :)

I live about 40min from Buxton, I really should checkout whats on in my local areas more often lol

Any chance of posting some up?

Soldato
Fantastic! Great stuff Ethan :)

I live about 40min from Buxton, I really should checkout whats on in my local areas more often lol

Any chance of posting some up?

Yeah. Ill do it when I get chance. Work commitments getting in the way at the moment plus Im flued up after covering a Midwinter Wake at Newcastle-under-lyme last Saturday. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
What batteries are you using ? I've never had my X-T2 lock up yet.

As a follow up it has been suggested this could be causing the issue. I'll have to check this later:

The eye sensor turns the viewfinder on when you put your eye to the viewfinder and turns it off when you take your eye away (note that the eye sensor may respond to objects other than your eye or to light shining directly on the sensor). If automatic display selection is enabled, the LCD monitor will turn on when the viewfinder turns off.

Soldato
Oh man, looks like the X-T20 is going to be announced on the 19th Jan.

I really don't know what to do. I'm flying to Cuba on 3rd Feb and really wanted to replace my D50 before then. Looks unlikely I'll be able to get a X-T20 before then, looks unlikely I'll be able to hunt down an X-T10 either. Not that I'd want to buy something that's already been replaced (unless it's gone down in price, which it hasn't). Boo :(

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Oh man, looks like the X-T20 is going to be announced on the 19th Jan.

I really don't know what to do. I'm flying to Cuba on 3rd Feb and really wanted to replace my D50 before then. Looks unlikely I'll be able to get a X-T20 before then, looks unlikely I'll be able to hunt down an X-T10 either. Not that I'd want to buy something that's already been replaced (unless it's gone down in price, which it hasn't). Boo :(

I popped in to my local Jessops at the weekend and they had about 5 X-T1's ranging between £450 - £515.

Seriously consider the 2nd handmarket, X-T10's can be picked up for as little as £300 now.

Caporegime
Took a few sample shots the day before yesterday and thankfully my copy of the 23mm f1.4 looks pretty damn sharp at f1.4... makes it worth the purchase over the f2 imo. :)

JPEG's, SOOC.

i-Xq464sX-X3.jpg

i-tQ96v2B-X3.jpg

Very happy with the out of focus rendering too. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I popped in to my local Jessops at the weekend and they had about 5 X-T1's ranging between £450 - £515.

Seriously consider the 2nd handmarket, X-T10's can be picked up for as little as £300 now.
Yeah that might be the way to go really. What are the best/safest secondhand sites?

Soldato
Yeah that might be the way to go really. What are the best/safest secondhand sites?

By the time you add the cost of the lens,you might as well get a refurbished XT10 from Fuji with the 10% off code,which will make it around £400.

Plus,I expect the XT20 will cost a decent amount more - the XT10 is an excellent camera and I am very happy with the pictures from it TBH!!

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Took a few sample shots the day before yesterday and thankfully my copy of the 23mm f1.4 looks pretty damn sharp at f1.4... makes it worth the purchase over the f2 imo. :)

JPEG's, SOOC.

Very happy with the out of focus rendering too. :)

Nice Bokeh balls!

I'll see how my 23 f2 compares and post the shots up

Soldato
Picked up a X70 as a pocket travel camera. My first dip into fuji world. It does seem a lovely bit of kit and when the XT20 comes out I may finally ditch my Nikon DSLR. I'm just finding I'm using it less and less these days as I can't be bothered lugging it around.

Soldato
By the time you add the cost of the lens,you might as well get a refurbished XT10 from Fuji with the 10% off code,which will make it around £400.

Plus,I expect the XT20 will cost a decent amount more - the XT10 is an excellent camera and I am very happy with the pictures from it TBH!!
Not in stock from Fuji and I doubt they'll be getting any more :(

Caporegime
Using my Fujifilm X-T2 for family event photos this year has been challenging compared to the conditions I have been shouting in so far this year... it's so, so different to my Nikon D750 and taking photos of the kids has required a lot of trial and error, not to mention some awful lighting in the holiday home we are staying in which has required some real juggling with the exposure to get right. The Nikon full frames are just so reliable in terms of AF and light gathering that you almost take it for granted, and going back to APS-C and a completely different focus system has been a real learning curve in the chaos of frenetic family activity.

However, I'm getting the hang of it, and if I am being fair to myself I have been absolutely crippled by lack of a good flash, as I purposefully haven't invested in one yet until HSS has been fixed with the X-T2... and I really want the Nissin i60A and Commander 1 system.

Saying all that, I am happy with the images, especially at higher ISO's, and the video is pretty damn awesome with the 18-55mm. It's just a shame that my 50-140mm didn't arrive in time to compliment my 23mm f1.4. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Using my Fujifilm X-T2 for family event photos this year has been challenging compared to the conditions I have been shouting in so far this year... it's so, so different to my Nikon D750 and taking photos of the kids has required a lot of trial and error, not to mention some awful lighting in the holiday home we are staying in which has required some real juggling with the exposure to get right. The Nikon full frames are just so reliable in terms of AF and light gathering that you almost take it for granted, and going back to APS-C and a completely different focus system has been a real learning curve in the chaos of frenetic family activity.

However, I'm getting the hang of it, and if I am being fair to myself I have been absolutely crippled by lack of a good flash, as I purposefully haven't invested in one yet until HSS has been fixed with the X-T2... and I really want the Nissin i60A and Commander 1 system.

Saying all that, I am happy with the images, especially at higher ISO's, and the video is pretty damn awesome with the 18-55mm. It's just a shame that my 50-140mm didn't arrive in time to compliment my 23mm f1.4. :)

Stick with it ... I'm sure many of your difficulties are just a case of getting used to new controls. In terms of AF, dynamic range etc the X-T2 is every bit as good as a D750, if not more so in some areas.

I've picked up a couple of i60A flash guns with the Air 1 commander ... works great. HSS doesn't work yet .... that would be nice but not critical for most of my work.

Soldato
I'm currently deciding whether or not to keep my Canon or Fuji gear. The X-T2 is a real nice body in a lot of ways, so it's coming down to FF vs crop in a few areas. I much prefer my 70-200 to the 50-140 and whilst I like 35mm on FF I don't always like what I'm getting with 23mm on the crop (I don't particularly like 24mm prime's on FF either). It could so easily be decided with a flip of a coin though!

Associate
I'm currently deciding whether or not to keep my Canon or Fuji gear. The X-T2 is a real nice body in a lot of ways, so it's coming down to FF vs crop in a few areas. I much prefer my 70-200 to the 50-140 and whilst I like 35mm on FF I don't always like what I'm getting with 23mm on the crop (I don't particularly like 24mm prime's on FF either). It could so easily be decided with a flip of a coin though!

Unless you are an absolute shallow bokeh fiend then there really isn't a significant difference between the latest APS-C cameras and most FF cameras. What is it specifically you don't like about the images from the Fuji 50-140mm, or your 23 mm ? Fair enough the Canon 70-200mm is a great lens, but the Fuji offering is up there, too.

ps. 24mm prime on a FF camera is equivalent to 16mm on APS-C, and your Fuji 23mm would give an equivalent of 35mm on FF. Not sure if you've got the focal lengths muddled when typing or not ...

Last edited:
Soldato

I decided that I like the low light capabilities of full frame, and the shallow DoF too much to use APS-C for my main camera.

It's funny how many people say there isn't really much difference, and that might be true, but most of the time you can usually tell a M43 or APS-C shot form a 35mm one pretty easily. Especially at focal lengths around 35-55mm, and ultra wide.

Soldato
Unless you are an absolute shallow bokeh fiend then there really isn't a significant difference between the latest APS-C cameras and most FF cameras. What is it specifically you don't like about the images from the Fuji 50-140mm, or your 23 mm ? Fair enough the Canon 70-200mm is a great lens, but the Fuji offering is up there, too.

ps. 24mm prime on a FF camera is equivalent to 16mm on APS-C, and your Fuji 23mm would give an equivalent of 35mm on FF. Not sure if you've got the focal lengths muddled when typing or not ...

I'm using the Canon alongside the Fuji whilst making the decision, and for me there is a significant difference when you compare them in that way. On FF I like the 35, 50 & 85 lenses a lot. I also like those lenses (actual FF focal lengths not crop equivalent) on the Fuji (well it's 35, 56 & 90 on the Fuji, which are awesome).

Sorry for not being clear, I don't actually like 24mm on FF that much as a prime. So a 23mm on the Fuji isn't really doing it for me some of the time (I do think the Fuji 23 f1.4 is a nice lens). This is with regards to the lens characteristics, so how the out of focus areas render etc. On the crop the field of view changes to something close to a 35mm but it's still a cropped 23mm image so you still get 23mm lens characteristics. Hopefully that's a bit clearer? I just much prefer my Sigma 35mm on FF over the Fuji 23mm, I admit to shooting wide open a lot as well :)

Generally though I'm happy enough with the crop shot when viewed on its own. The 50-140 I kind of like, I just like my 70-200 mkII better. Today though the Canon gear bag was so much heavier when going to my folks for Christmas dinner than I've gotten used to with Fuji, tomorrow I'm going back with the Fuji and I know it's going to be so much lighter. This isn't going to be an easy decision for sure.

Edit: A couple of non gear considerations: working in Lightroom is much quicker with Canon despite a higher MP count. The Canon files are also easier to work with in Lightroom. I also find changing lenses much quicker with Canon, I always find the Fuji end caps "grab" the lens even though I have already loosened it ready for a quick change (my fat fingers seem to deal with larger lenses easier as well). Not massive issues, but this decision is going down to the wire! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I decided that I like the low light capabilities of full frame, and the shallow DoF too much to use APS-C for my main camera.

It's funny how many people say there isn't really much difference, and that might be true, but most of the time you can usually tell a M43 or APS-C shot form a 35mm one pretty easily. Especially at focal lengths around 35-55mm, and ultra wide.

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm finding. If I do decide to sell Fuji, I'd probably still keep the X-T1, 35mm f1.4, 60mm f2.4, 18-55mm and 50-230mm as a lightweight kit. Kind of how I started out with it really!

Back
Top Bottom