Fuji X Series

Soldato
Anybody have any views on replacing a Sony RX100 for a Fuji Xpro1 as a walkabout, coat pocket camera. Im thinking of using it with a 35mm f1.4 & 35mm f2. Ive found access to controls a bit of a let down on the Sony whilst event shooting. The Xpro 1 would be used to supliment my XT2.

Soldato
Anybody have any views on replacing a Sony RX100 for a Fuji Xpro1 as a walkabout, coat pocket camera. Im thinking of using it with a 35mm f1.4 & 35mm f2. Ive found access to controls a bit of a let down on the Sony whilst event shooting. The Xpro 1 would be used to supliment my XT2.

Have you measured your pockets? :D X-Pro1 is 3.8cm wider and 2.4cm taller than the RX100 - might not matter to you. Not sure what the pricing is like but have you considered an X-E2? Beyond the OVF and the ISO dial I don't think there's much difference. X-E2 is 2.8cm wider and 1.9cm taller than RX100 and 100g lighter than the X-Pro1.

Last edited:
Soldato
Edit!!

I am not sure if the new XA3 and XA10 are considered the replacements for the XT10 at the current USD price.
How do you mean? There is a X-T20 coming for sure.

I'm really miffed now. My plan was to buy one in the new year sales, before my trip to Cuba in February. Now they're saying the X-T20 isn't coming until 2017 which means unless it's January I'm pretty screwed. Stock of X-T10 has pretty much gone everywhere and I'm not really in a position to dive in and buy it right now anyway. Pah. Why are these things so difficult!

Caporegime

I would rather get an X-E2.

Associate
I did rent the 100-400 4.5 and found it really nice for fast moving subject .But the viewfinder black out when shooting high speed puts me off and i find myself reaching for the 7d instead . I didnt buy the xt2 for sports but i know a lott of people use it for that purpose ,i just prefer the optical viewfinder for fast action .

Soldato
How do you mean? There is a X-T20 coming for sure.

I'm really miffed now. My plan was to buy one in the new year sales, before my trip to Cuba in February. Now they're saying the X-T20 isn't coming until 2017 which means unless it's January I'm pretty screwed. Stock of X-T10 has pretty much gone everywhere and I'm not really in a position to dive in and buy it right now anyway. Pah. Why are these things so difficult!
The xt10 had £160 cashback last week and most the stock was bought at the old exchange rate,so no wonder it's sold out. An XT10 kit for £340 is a bargain.

The XT10 kit launched at $900 so with VAT would be around £861 excluding the standard lens at current exchange rates.

So an XT20 kit is most likely going to cost £500+ more in 2017 if Fuji keeps to the same USD price.

You only need to look at what price the XA3 kit is now -£599.

Last edited:
Soldato
I did rent the 100-400 4.5 and found it really nice for fast moving subject .But the viewfinder black out when shooting high speed puts me off and i find myself reaching for the 7d instead . I didnt buy the xt2 for sports but i know a lott of people use it for that purpose ,i just prefer the optical viewfinder for fast action .

Yeah, the EVF blackout is the one thing that really annoys me about the system. With the grip it's supposed to be reduced on the X-T2, but I haven't picked up a grip yet to see if the improvement actually makes enough of a difference. AF though is pretty competent to be fair.

Caporegime
Ok, just ordered the Fuji 23mm f1.4 for £520 with the Fuji cashback. Should get it before Christmas... hopefully.

Using the same cashback scheme I can get a Fuji 50-140mm for £870... I think that will also be my next and final purchase for a while. :)

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Ok, just ordered the Fuji 23mm f1.4 for £520 with the Fuji cashback. Should get it before Christmas... hopefully.

Using the same cashback scheme I can get a Fuji 50-140mm for £870... I think that will also be my next and final purchase for a while. :)

I thought the cashback had now stopped on the 50-140 and is showing as £1,329 on Wex :confused:

Edit: Looks like the double cash back offer stopped on 1st Dec and the cashback is £125.... which makes £1,204 after cashback, where you finding it for £870 mate?

Last edited:
Caporegime
I thought the cashback had now stopped on the 50-140 and is showing as £1,329 on Wex :confused:

Edit: Looks like the double cash back offer stopped on 1st Dec and the cashback is £125.... which makes £1,204 after cashback, where you finding it for £870 mate?

I don't live in the EU, so prices are different here and electronics are generally very cheap.

Soldato
Argh! Having this issue which is rather annoying as im out in the field on a shoot on my XT2:
If find it also freezes--sort of. After taking several photos it just seems to black out--if I wait more than several seconds or press the shutter release from time to time it comes back, but more often than not I have to turn it off and turn it back on again.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Did some photoshooting today and holy crap are the X-T2 and 16mm/18-55mm sharp when combined with that sensor! In fact I am positively shocked by the 18-55mm... it seems from first glances as sharp as my 35mm f2!

The X-T2 itself is just a dream to handle, everything just feels great although the focus lever could be a bit more responsive, hopefully that can be tweaked in firmware. The top dials are nice and resistant even when unlocked, and the days of accidentally hitting exposure compensation like I did on my X-E2 are gone. Goes through batteries pretty fast though with Boost mode enabled (pre AF disabled).

I was seriously, seriously impressed and cannot wait to get the 23mm f1.4 and 50-140mm. :)

Associate
OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Did some photoshooting today and holy crap are the X-T2 and 16mm/18-55mm sharp when combined with that sensor! In fact I am positively shocked by the 18-55mm... it seems from first glances as sharp as my 35mm f2!

The X-T2 itself is just a dream to handle, everything just feels great although the focus lever could be a bit more responsive, hopefully that can be tweaked in firmware. The top dials are nice and resistant even when unlocked, and the days of accidentally hitting exposure compensation like I did on my X-E2 are gone. Goes through batteries pretty fast though with Boost mode enabled (pre AF disabled).

I was seriously, seriously impressed and cannot wait to get the 23mm f1.4 and 50-140mm. :)

Glad you're enjoying your X-T2. Ergonomically it's superb ... such a fun camera to use. But yes, you can go through batteries pretty fast especially using a lens with OIS, such as your 18-55mm or the 50-140mm. If I know I'm going to be using my 50-140mm a lot on a shoot ( or the 100-400mm ) then I usually pair it with the vertical grip so I have 3 batteries powering it.

Soldato
What batteries are you using ? I've never had my X-T2 lock up yet.

It didn't exactly lock it was the rear lcd which went black and remained unresponsive. I was still able to use the OVF and the camera continued to take pictures throughout. I've noticed this is a regular/intermittent issue (if that makes sense?) :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Just booked my tickets for the Hogmanay Edinburgh Street Party.. Can't wait to put the 23 f2 through its paces :D

Hey Zaf. I noticed you put your location as Derbyshire. Do you know Buxton at all? I was there on the 2nd December, quite by accident photographing the lantern parade). I didn't use a flash so my photos were in the noisey/still useable category. Buxton are apparently going to use them for PR purpose when they promote their next parade so keep an eye out. ;)

Back
Top Bottom