Poll: Japanese Grand Prix 2022, Suzuka Circuit - Race 18

Rate the Japan Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I'm sure the nutjob section of fans will find a way to 'unlegitimise' this one...

Last seasons was genuinely illegitimate. Any attempt to say otherwise is simply gaslighting/attempting to skew objective reality.

This season, he absolutely deserves it (as long as Red Bull didnt massively and knowingly break the budget cap). Even if they did that wouldnt be as bad as last season though. Last year, he was literally just handed it on the final lap of the season and long standing and established rules had to be broken to do so.

Last edited:
Associate
Last seasons was genuinely illegitimate. Any attempt to say otherwise is simply gaslighting/attempting to skew objective reality.

This season, he absolutely deserves it (as long as Red Bull didnt massively and knowingly break the budget cap). Even if they did that wouldnt be as bad as last season though. Last year, he was literally just handed it on the final lap of the season and long standing and established rules had to be broken to do so.

It was legitimate in the sense that the FIA made a complete bollock of the whole season last year, Abu Dhabi was no different and just happened to be the decider.

What annoys me the most is that people blame Max/Red Bull when it was 100% not their fault with what went on.

Also making it clear that I'm not a Max/Red Bull fan before anyone calls me a fanboy! :p

Soldato

They did by 10 million but got reduced as RB must have some dirt on FIA's top brass.. :D

Soldato
I do feel slightly sorry for Max. He’d probably like to just win a title without any third party interference. Like cross the line, know you’ve won, listen to Horner gush about how great you are, grab your trophy and job done.
I don't know, he's had tongues firmly implanted up his behind since he first got into an F1 car (if not before). Don't forget the amount of times pundits and commentators kept saying he was "one of the best ever" when he was sitting pretty with a grand total of zero championships won before the end of 2021. Hilarious.
What annoys me the most is that people blame Max/Red Bull when it was 100% not their fault with what went on.
I don't blame RB for Abu Dhabi in particular but their whole team has such a negative impact on the sport and its public image. All the whining from Horner on the radio, all the **** stirring by Marko, and generally Max's aggressiveness like running people off the road, causing accidents, and starting fights in the cooldown room. There ain't much good to be said about the team as a whole in my opinion. There's a very big correlation between the rise of RB and the more negative aspects of the sport coming to the fore. But none of that is for this thread, well done Max on his first legitimate championship (until tomorrow ;) ) :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Are people really going to declare that this season is an illegitimate achievement based on a reportedly sub 5% overspend last season?

That's a bit of a stretch really isn't it?

Man of Honour
Can't say I was impressed with getting up at dark o'clock for that race. Then finding out that the internet was down for maintenance... Joy... Came back on a couple of hours ago while I was doing other things.

There is absolutely no reason for that recovery vehicle to be on track while cars are still going around at speed. They would have been better off with candles in jam jars than the lights on the truck. That needs some serious looking at.

Caporegime
Are people really going to declare that this season is an illegitimate achievement based on a reportedly sub 5% overspend last season?

It’s reckoned you get get a 0.5sec per lap with a $1m spend. That’s 30 seconds on some tracks.

Soldato

I think it’s entirely fair to wait and see what happens. Even a £1m overspend for last year would have swung it, who knows what an overspend going into this year, with new regs, would have done.

Soldato
Hey, it rained in Japan! At least we got some racing and a shame we couldn't get a few more laps in, some good tussles going on as Max disappeared into the spray.
We not scoring this week?

Soldato
I think it’s entirely fair to wait and see what happens. Even a £1m overspend for last year would have swung it, who knows what an overspend going into this year, with new regs, would have done.
Any spend on this year's car won't be documented in last year's reporting period though will it?

Unless we're making the automatic leap they've also been misreporting their spend and lying about which season the spend corresponds to, we won't know about this season until next summer.

Soldato
Any spend on this year's car won't be documented in last year's reporting period though will it?
Well honestly who knows. I think it’s a given that these teams are always developing for the next year, it was a big talking point in 2021. And especially with the rule changes I wouldn’t be surprised if teams had whole departments dedicated to developing the 2022 car. That could easily explain why the RB is so much stronger than everyone else?

Soldato
Well honestly who knows. I think it’s a given that these teams are always developing for the next year, it was a big talking point in 2021. And especially with the rule changes I wouldn’t be surprised if teams had whole departments dedicated to developing the 2022 car. That could easily explain why the RB is so much stronger than everyone else?
It depends if the reporting period is season based or simply calendar year based - I had understood it to be season based, so no crossover between seasons.

If it's just calendar based, then there might be more of an argument about their performance this season, as they could have played more games to benefit the new regulations and spread the spend.

Soldato
Indeed. Judging from what other teams have said about it, sounds like they’re all going to be mighty ****ed off if RB is found to have overspent even if it’s ‘just’ last year.

Soldato
Got rather lucky. Started watching at 8:30 and by the time I'd seen the start, the 'actual race' was just starting. So, I got to skip all the waiting around.

Surprise result from Latifi - I'd have put him odds on favourite to be first into the wall in those conditions.

Soldato
Has any footage come out yet showing Max was apparently given the final lap flag, when in fact he crossed the line with approx two seconds left on the clock?

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh dear, winner in no doubt, but what about other places?
It would mean the face finished prematurely, which I think might mean final positions should be taken the lap before ,(thinking back to that mad Brazil GP pileup years ago).

So Charles would get second (the championship is still mathematically on) and Alonso is possibly back behind Russell, at the very least.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom