Poll: Japanese Grand Prix 2022, Suzuka Circuit - Race 18

Rate the Japan Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Max has just turned 25. You guys know your stuff, so how many F1 champs do you see him ending his career on? More than MS/LH?

It's possible, Max is a powerful talent and has improved a great deal this year over last. But domination takes more than talent, it takes being head and shoulders above your opposition, and keeping a team working for and around you. I look at the field of young drivers arrayed against him now and I just can't see them not winning championships. Russell, Leclerc, Piastri, maybe Norris - and likely more currently racing in the junior series I don't know. They all need work, but the talent is there.

Soldato
Max has just turned 25. You guys know your stuff, so how many F1 champs do you see him ending his career on? More than MS/LH?
Depends how much they fudged the cost cap... He could end up not being a world champion at all.
Although I'm DM will threaten to pull out of F1 if they whip a WDC off them

Caporegime
Depends how much they fudged the cost cap... He could end up not being a world champion at all.
Although I'm DM will threaten to pull out of F1 if they whip a WDC off them

They won't pull out though. Not after this year. Max is WCC, Pérez may well secure 2nd, RB are WCCs. Red Bull have pulled off utter domination, and should expect to go into next year as clear favourites and keep an advantage until 2026.

Soldato
Will have to see how max does when he has real competition.

Leclerc really had not been competition this year. Someone pushing him every race like last year and cracks might start to apear again

Caporegime

I think he certainly has the talent. He is exceptionally quick. A lot of it will come down to whether he makes the right career moves and picks the dominant car.

He could pull a blinder of a career decision and pull off a Lewis/Schumi...or he could do an Alonso and somehow always manage to **** up his team moves.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP

Depends on the car/team (much like LH/MS tbh) but its clear that Red Bull seem to have the advantage in the current rules so have to be favourites going into next year.
Given his age, etc and the current lack of much competition I can see him challenging LH/MS in the overall title stakes.

Personally I think only Hamilton of the current crop can challenge him and he's only going to be around for a few more years, its not clear yet where the competition is going to come from, Leclerc seems a little inconsistent (and Ferrari dire), Russell has been consistent but yet to see him look like a real contender and beyond that Norris is stuck in a middling McLaren.

There was a thread on r/Formula1 that suggested Merc know what their issue was this season and will be able to fix it for next year, so with any luck we will see them back fighting for wins next season, and hopefully Ferrari can get their act together as well.

i'd love to see a 3 way (or more) fight next year but won't get too excited about Merc until we see Race 1 next season, they've said a few times this year they've been confident they've understood and or fixed their issue and then been disappointed.

Guess who wrote the silly points rule that gave Max the title today? The person at the top of Max's Xmas list forever, Masi.:cry:

To be fair it was ratified by the FIA World Motorsport council so does it matter? It was badly handled but tbh I think the fault sits with the broadcasters who clearly hadn't read or understood the new rules. I'm surprised because the teams, etc are usually so on top of them.

Caporegime
Will have to see how max does when he has real competition.

Leclerc really had not been competition this year. Someone pushing him every race like last year and cracks might start to apear again

I think the Red Bull just got too good.

Look how much Perez was hounding Charles at the end today and the fact that Max was like 24 seconds clear.

Max isnt that much better than Charles and i think Charles is likely better than Perez so i think the dominance in the race today was a lot to do with just how good the Red Bull is.

Last edited:
Soldato
Checo Legend 2.0 .

Well done Max , say what you want but he dominated that race.

Can’t see him losing a race before the end of the season now , with 4 to go surely he’ll break M.Sand Vetels record ?

Associate
Max isnt that much better than Charles and i think Charles is likely better than Perez so i think the dominance in the race today was a lot to do with just how good the Red Bull is.
Max and Charles are definitely the best on the grid at the moment, and I’d probably throw Russell in there too but will have to wait until he has a better car.

Unfortunately with F1, you can be the best driver on the grid but you need the car to make it happen (and the opposite of what Ferrari call strategy).

Soldato
I think the Red Bull just got too good.

Look how much Perez was hounding Charles at the end today and the fact that Max was like 24 seconds clear.

So when Hamilton use to win races and titles, it's the car but when max does it, it's the driver...

Soldato
Are people really going to declare that this season is an illegitimate achievement based on a reportedly sub 5% overspend last season?

That's a bit of a stretch really isn't it?
Last season was so close that even a extra million spent above the cap is enough for max to have won it over Hamilton.

This season? Well if they used extra 4 million this year then that's huge and also reflects there dominating

Associate
That announcement is related to last season, it won't have any impact on the legitimacy of his achievements this season.
A huge amount of the 22 car's development took place under last years budget cap, so it certainly would have an impact on the legitimacy of his achievements this season.

Are people really going to declare that this season is an illegitimate achievement based on a reportedly sub 5% overspend last season?

That's a bit of a stretch really isn't it?
A 5% overspend could have had a significant impact. Are people really going to declare this season legitimate if they only cheated just a little bit?

Soldato
they've said a few times this year they've been confident they've understood and or fixed their issue and then been disappointed
They’ve also said it won’t be a quick fix- which I take to mean they are working heavily on next years car. Honestly, for a team that was languishing in the midfield at the beginning of the year tk challenging for podiums or p4 consistently recently, that’s pretty good going.

As for drivers, Leclerc has shown himself up a little bit this year. He had made mistakes but at the same time Ferrari have royally screwed him as well. As I keep saying about Hamilton, it’s the consistency that’s key. I’m not sure Leclerc has it to win a championship - and I’m not sure RB and Max have it to start challenging records.

I still get the feeling if Norris had a go in a RB then he’d show Max up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom