Your Backup codes - Important

Permabanned
This is the equivalent of writing down on a post-it note your password IMO.

WRITING on something then putting it in a draw is the same. Putting it in a text file and putting it in a cloud storage solution IS NOT. As long as you have saved the details of the storage solution then you alright. If you forget that one then oh dear, how sad, never mind. You going to be locked out of everything. No different to having a house fire and all your paper burning in the process.

Soldato
WRITING on something then putting it in a draw is the same. Putting it in a text file and putting it in a cloud storage solution IS NOT. As long as you have saved the details of the storage solution then you alright. If you forget that one then oh dear, how sad, never mind. You going to be locked out of everything. No different to having a house fire and all your paper burning in the process.
I mean.. lastpass just got compromised for all their backups..... and that was in the cloud lol. (but yes, what you describe is what I am talking about).

Permabanned
I mean.. lastpass just got compromised for all their backups..... and that was in the cloud lol. (but yes, what you describe is what I am talking about).

That goes for any service. If it’s compromised we are all ******! Doesn’t just apply to a password manager, except if that gets compromised it’s access to every website you have a log in too, unless MFA/2FA is turned on.

Soldato
That goes for any service. If it’s compromised we are all ******! Doesn’t just apply to a password manager, except if that gets compromised it’s access to every website you have a log in too, unless MFA/2FA is turned on.
The only luck you'll really get is if you have device id, or ip address security on websites, or emails.

Soldato
Ugh, just use email for 2FA.

2FA for an internet forum, how annoying...
2FA is like a tumor spreading everywhere, it has it uses for security regarding financial stuff, for the rest it should die out asap...

If you lose access to your account just create a new one? It's just an online discussion forum...
Apologies, I just had to rant, I'm already annoyed at having to check my email for logging in. Using authenticators however not just annoys me, it ****** me off...

Permabanned
2FA for an internet forum, how annoying...

Right but you realise it's not just a forum-ish? There's a members market and if someone gets into your account they can post in there and scam users right?

If you lose access to your account just create a new one? It's just an online discussion forum...

You not read the rules? You are not allowed a new one and if the mods catch you - then you will have every account permabanned.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Once every ninety days? Oh, such hardship.

I 100% prefer having to put a code in than having an account compromised. People need to get it into their mind set that having an account that's been stolen or used for something i.e they got access to your bank and stole 1K off you is much easier to put a single code in that deal with weeks of security breaches).

I really wish people in businesses adhere to this method in the madness.

Last edited:
Soldato
Once every ninety days? Oh, such hardship.
I've logged in 7 times in one year, all 7 seven times I've had to do the annoying 2FA. Just as now a few minutes ago.
Probably because I use a different pc/laptop every time...
Apologies for complaining, but I'm noticing this bad habit popping up at more places, it's faster these days to log in to my tax declaration or student loan site than to OcUK... Ah well, just thought I'd give a different view than what most people replied to in this thread.
Who am I to decide though of course, but I think generally for cosumers security wastes more time and effort than it saves, especially the last few years. I'm sick of the obsessive security everywhere online :).
Regarding retailers in general, I tend to order/use the websites that are easiest to use and don't require filling many forms. Amazon is so easy to order that I just need 3 clicks. Steam aswell, just a few clicks... I'll rather pay more to get something with less effort than saving a couple of euro's on ordering it cheaper elwwhere, but where the process takes longer...
Enough forms and data to fill during work/at the office that I've grown to hate it everywhere else, especially typing over authenticator codes or copying emailed 2FA codes :D.And yeah obviously I'm free to not use these forums. But for the sake of discussion I wanted to say 2FA is bloody annoying (not just at OcUKF)
You not read the rules? You are not allowed a new one and if the mods catch you - then you will have every account permabanned.
As if that would stop anyone, this is a pc enthousiast forum while anyone can use a VPN or create a new email addy, with an open registration it's a complete fantasy world to think a ban would prevent someone from rejoining...

Last edited:
Soldato
This is a lesson learnt for me, just swapped phones and perhaps naively assumed Authenticator would move everyhting over. It didn't and I hadn't backed it up / got one time codes etc. so now having to sort out all the various acccounts. Thanks to Feek for being super quick at resetting my OCUK forum account and will be making notes of backup codes from now on as well as not making same mistake again when changing phones!

k3v

k3v

Associate
Oops, I've joined the hall of shame by not backing up my codes, getting a new phone and then finding myself locked out.

Thanks to Feek for the quick reset.

Soldato
I’m here to add myself to the hall of shame. Make sure you back up your flipping recovery codes!!!

Thanks Feek for the instant help. Further proof you are a bot, perhaps?

Soldato
This is a lesson learnt for me, just swapped phones and perhaps naively assumed Authenticator would move everyhting over. It didn't and I hadn't backed it up / got one time codes etc. so now having to sort out all the various acccounts. Thanks to Feek for being super quick at resetting my OCUK forum account and will be making notes of backup codes from now on as well as not making same mistake again when changing phones!
Im still using my OLD phone to get codes, I tried swapping it over but its a cluster **** of utter nonsense working out how to do it.

Back
Top Bottom