Your Backup codes - Important

Associate
The 2FA for this forum is nagging me too often. When I sign in its supposed to allow access for 90 days before asking again but if I go just a week or so without visiting the forum I have to go through the process again.

Soldato
Changed my phone and the authenticator app did not transfer, caught me out without codes. Bumping the thread just to make people aware, keep your codes!
Same. Saw this thread months ago, skim read it. Did nothing.

Got a new phone the other week, thought everything transferred over then sold it on. Tried to log here yesterday and the 90 days was up - no authenticator app. Thankfully I was still logged in on my ipad so could get my codes. Didn't use them though, changed the 2FA to email. Much easier! :D

Soldato
Much less secure. Not recommended.
Understood but can’t find out how to get into my google authentication app on my phone now. The only options it gives me is to scan a QR code from my old phone which I can’t do or enter a setup key which I don’t have. I only use it for here and for the Aussie DVLA site to pay the road tax on my car and bikes every few months. Next one expires 1st April so I have a few weeks to sort it out.

Commissario
Make sure you're using it under the correct tab, IIRC the codes from email/app/backup only work under their respective tabs, I keep forgetting it defaults to email.
If it doesn't work you can create a new set of backup codes in your profile.

Commissario
The backup codes never change unless you tell the forum to create new ones for yourself here (profile, password and security, two factor authentication at the top of that page, backup codes on the next one), use them as each one is single use, or tell the forum to turn off two factor and then back on again.

I think the only other time they might change is if there was a software update that required it, but if that was to happen we'd try to give everyone plenty of warning.

Commissario
OP
I wish I knew what it would take to get people to save their codes. Despite that huge announcement that we regularly reset to force it to show again, I still get a minimum of four requests a week to disable 2FA because members have changed phones, lost phones, lost their authenticator app etc.

The crazy thing is that it doesn't just affect them logging in here, they'll have lost access to every single site they access with 2FA.

Back
Top Bottom