Taiwan and China thread.

Caporegime
OP
They immune to having holes torn in them by plane mounted guns?

Pretty much, yes! It took a few days for the Canadian Airforce to bring down a balloon that way.

edit:

Almost 25 years ago, a large runaway weather balloon proved to be quite challenge a for a pair of fighter jets trying to shoot it down, staying in the air even after more than 1,000 rounds were fired at it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
They immune to having holes torn in them by plane mounted guns? I'm more surprised the missile actually exploded and just didn't pass right through the fabric.

Not something I know much about but by all reports it can be quite a faff to shoot them down with cannon fire and a higher risk.

Last edited:
Soldato
A ******* missile to shoot down a balloon? Talk about overkill. :cry:

It's only a $200k missile, same as two HIMARS GMLRS rockets

I think the reason they went with a missile was to release all the helium/whatever gas is inside at once so that it falls in a narrow area where as if they shoot holes in it, the debris field might dozens and dozens of miles and make it harder to collect all the bits in the sea

Caporegime
Why?

They presumably want to just take it down rather than look like clowns having fighter jets spend ages shooting at the thing.

I'd imagine a burst from one of their guns would rip it enough enough to take it down pretty quick. As I said above I'm surprised the missile actually exploded on impact and didn't tear straight through. Not sure how their missiles work if they're based on range or they explode on an impact, just surprised if they're impact based thee balloon provided enough resistance for it to explode.

Soldato
I'd imagine a burst from one of their guns would rip it enough enough to take it down pretty quick. As I said above I'm surprised the missile actually exploded on impact and didn't tear straight through. Not sure how their missiles work if they're based on range or they explode on an impact, just surprised if they're impact based thee balloon provided enough resistance for it to explode.

Probably a timed fuse or remote detonation is my guess

Caporegime
OP
Oh, tried it have you?

No, but the Canadian airforce has as I already pointed out.

(FWIW I also remember being told that the surveillance balloon the British Army used over Basra could take a few thousand rounds too.)

Last edited:
Soldato
plus fast jet, slow balloon, short range gun is a recipe for disaste. Much safer to fire off a missile from a few miles rather than get in close to a slow target and risk a collision.

Soldato
As I said above I'm surprised the missile actually exploded on impact and didn't tear straight through.
They use proximity fuses.

That was a quarter of a century ago, would have thought it would be trivial these days to take down a large balloon with whatever guns the plane has mounted to it.
Both aircraft use the same gun, M61 Vulcan.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
That was a quarter of a century ago, would have thought it would be trivial these days to take down a large balloon with whatever guns the plane has mounted to it.

FFS because bullets have magically changed in 25 years??? How old is the F22 again?

I think you need to stop relying on your imagination tbh..

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TNA
Caporegime
FFS because bullets have magically changed in 25 years???

I think you need to stop relying on your imagination tbh..

No, because the amount of tech planes have on board has increased drastically in 25 years so I would think that targeting systems etc have all increased in accuracy.

Any more angst you want to vent?

Caporegime
OP
No, because the amount of tech planes have on board has increased drastically in 25 years so I would think that targeting systems etc have all increased in accuracy.

Any more angst you want to vent?

I'm more amused that anything, FWIW the F22 is equipped with basically the same canon as the F18 has... which is what the Canadian Airforce used.

You're just coming out with nonsense here.

Back
Top Bottom