Office Chair vs. Gaming Chair

Associate
Spent a good few years in a variety of different gaming chairs. Decided at the beginning of last year to invest in a brand new HM Aeron remastered as now WFH primarily, best decision of my life. 15 months later and there is a noticable difference in my back health. It is also still spotless and looks like new, I can see it lasting well beyond even the HM 12 year warranty.

Associate
Finding a good chair is such a pain. I've had a steelcase leap for the last 8 years. It's fine. It does the job, but it's reaching the point where it's past the point of repair. Likewise, it would cost too much to fix, but everything else at this level is outrageously expensive, especially now that 2ndhnd closed down.

Caporegime
Finding a good chair is such a pain. I've had a steelcase leap for the last 8 years. It's fine. It does the job, but it's reaching the point where it's past the point of repair. Likewise, it would cost too much to fix, but everything else at this level is outrageously expensive, especially now that 2ndhnd closed down.

If you want something that's going to last as long or even longer you're in to Herman Miller, Humanscale and HAG territory.

Last edited:
Soldato
Decided to pull the trigger on a Aeron from HM's outlet shop.

Currently rocking a Humanscale Different World but the lumbar and recline is causing me some back pain.

Was interested in the Embody but they didn't have any and I've not sat in the Mirra 2 so didn't want to risk getting it and not liking it.

I sat in an Aeron at John Lewis and instantly fell in love with it.

A lot more expensive than I ever thought I'd spend on a chair but I'll be sat on it 10-12 hours a day so I know my back will thank me.

Soldato
picked up an HM embody recently as well to replace a noble gaming chair. Don't think I'll ever go back to gaming chairs now as the almost always suck at something, usually it's lack of adjustments or poor lumbar support

Soldato
I went by Corporate Spec yesterday to try out some chairs. I already have a Mirra but wanted to try the Mirra2 and the Aeron. I definitely preferred the Mirra2 to the Aeron, especially as the front of the latter felt a bit too hard on the back of my leg.

I also ended up trying the Steelcase Leap V2 and found it really comfortable. It was difficult trying to choose between this and the Mirra2. The HM felt more supportive whereas the Steelcase felt more comfortable. Still debating which one to go for but I'm leaning towards the Steelcase.

My only concern is the cloth on the seat compared to the mesh of the Herman Miller which is know is durable.

Last edited:
Associate
I went by Corporate Spec yesterday to try out some chairs. I already have a Mirra but wanted to try the Mirra2 and the Aeron. I definitely preferred the Mirra2 to the Aeron, especially as the front of the latter felt a bit too hard on the back of my leg.

I also ended up trying the Steelcase Leap V2 and found it really comfortable. It was difficult trying to choose between this and the Mirra2. The HM felt more supportive whereas the Steelcase felt more comfortable. Still debating which one to go for but I'm leaning towards the Steelcase.

My only concern is the cloth on the seat compared to the mesh of the Herman Miller which is know is durable.

I also went to a local 2nd hand dealer. I'd agree with you about the Mirra2 being more comfortable than the Aeron. I found the Leap to be a little low for me on the back though (I'm 6'2" with a fairly long body). I also liked the Giroflex G64 which really held my back nicely. I'd love to be able to try an Embody, but cant find anywhere up north with them.

Soldato
I got the Ikea Volmar years ago, must be close to 15 years old now. Super adjustable. Took a little time for me to get it set just right. But it became a very comfortable chair after adjusting it to suit me. It still looks like new. Considering I work mainly from home and this is both my office chair and gaming chair, it has lasted really well.

Would recommend one if you could still buy them. Ikea discontinued the line in 2015 or 2016.

Associate
I also went to a local 2nd hand dealer. I'd agree with you about the Mirra2 being more comfortable than the Aeron. I found the Leap to be a little low for me on the back though (I'm 6'2" with a fairly long body). I also liked the Giroflex G64 which really held my back nicely. I'd love to be able to try an Embody, but cant find anywhere up north with them.
I took the plunge and ordered an Embody which arrived today. Initial impressions are good, but a few days working will be the proof...

Permabanned
I've never tried a gaming chair, and now when it is time to replace my old chair, I've become interested in whether a gaming chair is what I really need/want. They look good and comfortable. But are they really good for people who work from home? Maybe an office chair is still better for this purpose. Anyway, thanks for sharing your experiences, it is helpful.

Associate
I've never tried a gaming chair, and now when it is time to replace my old chair, I've become interested in whether a gaming chair is what I really need/want. They look good and comfortable. But are they really good for people who work from home? Maybe an office chair is still better for this purpose. Anyway, thanks for sharing your experiences, it is helpful.
I'd always choose an office chair over a gaming one (yes, the Embody i've just got is a gaming version of an office chair, but it's still an office chair with go faster stripes). It depends on your budget, but there are loads of great office chairs available second hand (not sure if thats the same in DE though).

Permabanned
I'd always choose an office chair over a gaming one (yes, the Embody i've just got is a gaming version of an office chair, but it's still an office chair with go faster stripes). It depends on your budget, but there are loads of great office chairs available second hand (not sure if thats the same in DE though).
Thanks for your reply and for the idea, I'll check second-hand chairs, I didn't even think about it. I think it is possible to buy a brand chair at a good price, of course, if it is in good condition.

Soldato
Thanks for your reply and for the idea, I'll check second-hand chairs, I didn't even think about it. I think it is possible to buy a brand chair at a good price, of course, if it is in good condition.
I got an Ergohuman Plus used for about £200, great chair for the money and still in really good condition. Worth looking around at used office suppliers.

Soldato
I'm looking to pick up a new office chair - I'm currently in a cheapo one, and it's doing me no favours.

I don't want to spend tons (i.e. not brand new HM money), as I only work from home two days a week and have a standing desk so probably spend 2-3 hours a day out of the chair anyway.

Ideally, I'm looking at something in the £300 range - does anyone have any recommendations? If that's too low, I can stretch the budget slightly for something which is worthwhile.

Associate
I just bought a Ticova Ergonomic office chair off amazon for £129.99. Hopefully it serves its purpose for me as I didn't want to go with a higher budget for this as I've still got to purchase a desk followed by PC+Monitor..

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm looking to pick up a new office chair - I'm currently in a cheapo one, and it's doing me no favours.

I don't want to spend tons (i.e. not brand new HM money), as I only work from home two days a week and have a standing desk so probably spend 2-3 hours a day out of the chair anyway.

Ideally, I'm looking at something in the £300 range - does anyone have any recommendations? If that's too low, I can stretch the budget slightly for something which is worthwhile.
I have an Aeron that I'll be parting with soon for around that much :)

Back
Top Bottom