Office Chair vs. Gaming Chair

Caporegime
I've had a shocker with office chairs ever since my Staples Kashmir finally went to the tip.

I bought a grey fabric thing from Ryman. It creaked, made my bum hurt almost instantly, and the gas strut failed after 6 months. They refunded it as it's been discontinued and I've just ordered this (I guess I can't link it, but not hard to find):

yr5uK5H.jpg

The main criterion is that it must have excellent padding for my delicate bottom! Jesus the last one numbed my arse.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've had a shocker with office chairs ever since my Staples Kashmir finally went to the tip.

I bought a grey fabric thing from Ryman. It creaked, made my bum hurt almost instantly, and the gas strut failed after 6 months. They refunded it as it's been discontinued and I've just ordered this (I guess I can't link it, but not hard to find):

yr5uK5H.jpg

The main criterion is that it must have excellent padding for my delicate bottom! Jesus the last one numbed my arse.
Well it arrived and I'm impressed. Seems well built and veeery comfortable.

JrfFFdTh.jpg

I'm thinking of getting a 'gaming' chair, my only concern is foam quality, I've had a number of cheap (£100) gaming chairs over the years and after one year the foam was completely flat!, as a comparison I currently have a Boss Design Sona office chair that is around 10 years old, all the feature of the chair are starting to fail now, but the foam is like new!! and that is with me sitting on it with my feet on the desk of an evening putting full weight on the seat padding.

Could someone recommend a gaming chair upto £500 that has very high quality foam/padding?, or am I better off sticking with older more expensive task chairs on the secondhand market?

Last edited:
Associate
Chairs are one of those things where it's all personal, what would be comfortable for one person long term may not be the same for another - and what may seem comfortable when you are trying it out may not be comfortable after extended use.

I currently have a Steelcase leap which was bought based off of online recommendations, and whilst it's fine enough, and has help up really well - I'm sure there would be better options out there for me.

Associate
I had an IKEA Markus for over 10 years - replaced with a SecretLab Titan and am very pleased with it. Decent lumbar support, great adjustability and very comfortable. The build quality of the Titan is better, although by the time I got rid of the Markus it owed me nothing.

Associate
I think gaming chairs are getting better but it will take a long time before they get to the level proper office chairs unless you get something like the Herman Miller coloured for gamers range.

Soldato
I'm still sat on my secret lab titan XL, probably about a year, or a year and a half now.
No regrets.
Cusioning is firm, but it needs to be, and it's really comfy if you take the time to adjust it properly.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Well it arrived and I'm impressed. Seems well built and veeery comfortable.

JrfFFdTh.jpg
Can we have a bum hurting update? I have the same issue as with getting dead thighs, I have heard horror stories about these chairs though, things snapping etc? what is the width of the arse of it? And how tall are you? I'm 6ft8 and on the quest for something that has a flat bum area! Also what is the distance between the arms? This is another issue I have with chairs!

Soldato
Another vote for the Aeron. Purchased in '21 and my back is grateful. Working from the office is noticeably more uncomfortable.
Expensive, but once you divide by the number of hours spent in the chair, it's not so bad.
Need to look for a new chair and this has cropped up.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Black Friday Embody Gaming chair now about £1100, I'll probably order

Lovely chair, just a shame about the lack of adjustment on it, I had to send mine back as it was just uncomfortable for me.

Ended up picking up a steelseries gesture, which has been doing be absolutely proud, except for a slight issue with some of the fabric, where its becoming frayed after a couple of years.

All credit to steelseries, the chair is being picked up and a loan chair given to me while they take mine back to examine whats happened with the fabric and replace it as well as the foam.

Soldato
Black Friday Embody Gaming chair now about £1100, I'll probably order

Fully recommend. I bought one back in May and I've used it for 8+ hours a day average since then. Sometimes in the most reclined position for most of the day, sitting on a leg, legs folded etc, and I've not once had any aches or pains anywhere.

Caporegime
Can we have a bum hurting update? I have the same issue as with getting dead thighs, I have heard horror stories about these chairs though, things snapping etc? what is the width of the arse of it? And how tall are you? I'm 6ft8 and on the quest for something that has a flat bum area! Also what is the distance between the arms? This is another issue I have with chairs!

The bum support is good. On a hot day it's a bit sweatier than fabric, but it's more than worth it.

Not had it for long and there's the potential for things to snap. I assume it's not been built to gold standards of seat engineering, given its cost.

The width of the arse area as just measured by me is 56cm. The minimum distance between the arms is the same. I am 5' 11".

Hi,any chance of an update on this? I'm kinda looking for something similar but the chair can't have arms as I will be playing guitar.
Update is that I'm still very happy with it. Nothing unsatisfactory to report so far. As ever I'm not sure how long the padding will stay nice and plump for, but meh I can't do anything about that.

Associate
The bum support is good. On a hot day it's a bit sweatier than fabric, but it's more than worth it.

Not had it for long and there's the potential for things to snap. I assume it's not been built to gold standards of seat engineering, given its cost.

The width of the arse area as just measured by me is 56cm. The minimum distance between the arms is the same. I am 5' 11".

Update is that I'm still very happy with it. Nothing unsatisfactory to report so far. As ever I'm not sure how long the padding will stay nice and plump for, but meh I can't do anything about that.
Thanks for the update, I couldn't see that exact chair on the website but similar ones. Like you it's all about how long the padding lasts, my IKEA Markus is like I'm basically sitting on hard plastic as the foam just gives way and I'm 12 stone so not exactly a heavyweight.

Back
Top Bottom