Huel: The Future of Food ..

Soldato
I guess it depends on your tastebuds but for me Proteinworks is vastly superior in taste and texture to Huel, with Huel I had to add honey or milkshake powder to make it taste nice enough and the texture I could never get used to, too gritty/powdery for my liking, yes it's cheaper but I wouldn't say it's "cheap" as in poorer quality, it's just a different formula
Have you tried the latest version of Huel? It's much less bitty than previous versions. Ideally you also need to blend it in a mixer/nutri bullet type machine and leave it in the fridge for a few hours/prep beforehand.

Last edited:
Associate
i've done enough research to see how much effort Huel put into what goes into their products on a granular level.
You mean like plastic?

Sounds like you've fallen for the marketing line, ingredients in alternative products are near enough identical. At the moment I'm happy enough with BeNu which has frequent sales, my last purchase cost £0.53 per meal. If I'd bought Huel instead for £1.40 per meal all I'm really paying for is their advertising budget, not a better product.

Soldato
You mean like plastic?

Sounds like you've fallen for the marketing line, ingredients in alternative products are near enough identical. At the moment I'm happy enough with BeNu which has frequent sales, my last purchase cost £0.53 per meal. If I'd bought Huel instead for £1.40 per meal all I'm really paying for is their advertising budget, not a better product.
Your money, your choice.

Soldato
Have you tried the latest version of Huel? It's much less bitty than previous versions. Ideally you also need to blend it in a mixer/nutri bullet type machine and leave it in the fridge for a few hours/prep beforehand.
Not sure, I stopped using it about a year ago think it was v3, I always blended it but I just didn't enjoy the texture or taste, happy with the proteinworks stuff though, actually look forward to having it after my run

Soldato
Weighed myself yesterday as I’ve been having issues with loose jeans lately. I’m down a stone and a half.

Most likely down to me cutting out processed foods from my diet. I do have hurl black for brekkie but I’d gather this is mostly due to the processed foods.

Edit: sorry for mistakes, am on train to work.

Soldato
You mean like plastic?

I've had a bag of greens from protein works before with 7 broken scoops in it :D

Accidents happen and I knew about the plastic thing with Huel and it's shoddy - however my point is, there is a reason and effort put in behind all the Huel ingredients, the competitors don't go to that level of effort, they just mimic. One example is using rice & pea protein instead of Soy, I have no issue with either but it's the level of depth with what they choose which means they get my money at the moment.

On the back of the plastic issue, they moved sites and production and there are no recent reports of the issue to my knowledge - that's a manufacturing issue, not an ingredients issue however.

If another company made hot & savoury to the same quality and a cheaper price, i'd happily jump ship, Huel don't have my undying loyalty, there is just no alternative at the moment.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure, I stopped using it about a year ago think it was v3, I always blended it but I just didn't enjoy the texture or taste, happy with the proteinworks stuff though, actually look forward to having it after my run
Strange, I find it doesn't really have texture. Taste I can understand, a subjective thing.

Associate
I've had a bag of greens from protein works before with 7 broken scoops in it :D

Accidents happen and I knew about the plastic thing with Huel and it's shoddy - however my point is, there is a reason and effort put in behind all the Huel ingredients, the competitors don't go to that level of effort, they just mimic. One example is using rice & pea protein instead of Soy, I have no issue with either but it's the level of depth with what they choose which means they get my money at the moment.

On the back of the plastic issue, they moved sites and production and there are no recent reports of the issue to my knowledge - that's a manufacturing issue, not an ingredients issue however.

If another company made hot & savoury to the same quality and a cheaper price, i'd happily jump ship, Huel don't have my undying loyalty, there is just no alternative at the moment.
Soy is a complete protein, there's no real advantage to a rice & pea mix over it. Even if some of them do just mimic the ingredients of Huel as you alleged, that doesn't change the quality of the product so why does it matter?

Soldato
Soy is a complete protein, there's no real advantage to a rice & pea mix over it. Even if some of them do just mimic the ingredients of Huel as you alleged, that doesn't change the quality of the product so why does it matter?
This says otherwise and that's just soy Vs pea never mind rice.
It's not just about protein.

"But pea based proteins aren’t just better for you, they’re better for the health of the planet - and we can all drink to that."

Last edited:
Associate
Last edited:
Associate
So you're given a reason from another poster and immediately reply with 'hurrr, scaremongering' - you're clearly not here to discuss in good faith.
If someone has an issue with taking soy protein, there are still plenty of much cheaper Huel alternatives that use a rice & pea mix instead. There is no scientific evidence that soy protein has health risks or is worse for you than rice or pea protein. The linked article says that pea protein has a better amino acid profile than soy protein, which is clearly false as pea protein alone (without rice) has an incomplete amino acid profile whereas soy is complete.

Soldato
Straight from the horses mouth, but this will somehow be wrong as well i imagine.

"The first point to note is that both Huel Powder and BeNu include protein above the reference intake. Huel’s sources are predominantly pea and brown rice protein, yet BeNu is pea protein and soya protein isolate. Soy is one of the main 14 allergens in the UK, and therefore many individuals are unable to consume it, which Huel has been mindful of and excluded."

Again Huel go way above some of the others when it comes to carefully choosing their ingredients, and its reflected in the price.

Associate
Straight from the horses mouth, but this will somehow be wrong as well i imagine.

"The first point to note is that both Huel Powder and BeNu include protein above the reference intake. Huel’s sources are predominantly pea and brown rice protein, yet BeNu is pea protein and soya protein isolate. Soy is one of the main 14 allergens in the UK, and therefore many individuals are unable to consume it, which Huel has been mindful of and excluded."

Again Huel go way above some of the others when it comes to carefully choosing their ingredients, and its reflected in the price.
A comparison from the unbiased source of...Huel? Strange that they are only comparing MyProtein's BeNu and not Whole Fuel Blend as well which uses pea and brown rice protein.

Edit: after reading through it the main differences they highlight compared to BeNu are:
-Contains soya protein isolate
-Contains inulin
-Flaxseed and sunflower oil ratio not listed
-No MCTs

Soya protein isolate and inulin aren't in Whole Fuel Blend which they conveniently don't include in their comparison. Flaxseed and sunflower oil ratio not being listed doesn't necessarily mean anything. MCTs aren't important and you could easily add them yourself. There are also some minor vitaimin differences which personally I don't care about as I take a high quality multivitamin far superior to that in Huel.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like i was right. You clearly have no interest in Huel, why devote so much of your time picking faults with it in a thread where most like it. Strange. So glad there's an ignore button.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone else find that no matter how much you shake the hot & savoury bag each time you use it, you end up with too much powder at the end?

I've polished off 3 bags in last few days and all had extra creamy sauce :D

Back
Top Bottom