Huel: The Future of Food ..

Caporegime
So anyone who wants to get some new customer discounts, just use a new email. I used a fresh email for an order yesterday, got a free bag of Black thrown in worth £28, new t-shirt (they're so damn well made and comfortable, don't wear in public though) and the new shaker they sell for a tenner as well as a new hot huel pot and some scoops.
Yeah I have used other people to order though but I let them (huel) keep the shaker and pot etc. The hot pot is rubbish, I've founf the best way to do the hot and savoury is to use a sistema noodle pot in the microwave and then close the top steamer vent and let it sit for 5 minutes after a stir. So much better and cooked through. I don't like the shaker much either, I prefer to blend.

I tried the Protein powder and it's one of the best I've ever tasted but then I noticed it's got sucralose as a sweetener, instead of stevia like the black edition. Odd choice when they use different for Black edition and it's one of the selling points.

Soldato
Yeah I have used other people to order though but I let them (huel) keep the shaker and pot etc. The hot pot is rubbish, I've founf the best way to do the hot and savoury is to use a sistema noodle pot in the microwave and then close the top steamer vent and let it sit for 5 minutes after a stir. So much better and cooked through. I don't like the shaker much either, I prefer to blend.
Not an option at work, i've managed to 'perfect' the process with a kettle and the pot though. Always add another 1-1.5cm of water and leave it about 10/15 minutes, stirring every 3/4 minutes essentially :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I've always found banana flavoured protein shakes to be like that. Sometimes I like the artificial flavour but other times it's overbearing and just not nice!

Have had Huel myself before and did like the Strawberries and Cream one and think I once had a Salted Caramel which was great.

I tend to buy MyProtein Benu powder now though when on offer and the cinnamon bun flavour one is fantastic.
Yeah, the banana on just isn't for me. First sip or two isn't bad but after a while it makes me feel pretty sick.

Shame as I have half a bag left but it's just not for me. Don't know if anyone is close to Bristol and desperate for half a bag of Banana but if they want it. Please take it away

Caporegime
I can't even find a good mix for the Banana one to dilute it down. My wife likes it so luckily the bag didn't go to waste. I'd have unflavoured before I had that again! I even tried a 3rd of a scoop with cookie and cream and all I could taste and smell was banana.

Soldato
Ordered some more.

Black Salted Caramel and Coffee Caramel
Hot & Savoury Thai Green Curry and Spaghetti Carbonara.

Tried the Carbonara and Madras is still better.

Soldato
I am aware that this product doesn't reduce cholesterol by itself, however I have done quite a bit of reading lately and see that skipping breakfast and lunch is probably not doing my LDL any good.

I had not great cholesterol and just had a recent test and told it's elevated again (apparently can be genetic too, I'm 14.5st 5'11). So I'm going to go back to eating porridge (this time adding blueberries and or strawberries, no honey, flaked almonds) for breakfast and a Huel H&S for lunch as I quite liked them in the past.
Trying the new pastas as the Mac n cheese was surprisingly my favourite.
I have to force myself to eat lunch as my ADHD medication kills my appetite but the plus side is I don't get tempted by crap, I only take it when I go to work though so max 3-4 times a week.

These changes are easier than exercise but I appreciate it forms part of the whole package.

Soldato
I am aware that this product doesn't reduce cholesterol by itself, however I have done quite a bit of reading lately and see that skipping breakfast and lunch is probably not doing my LDL any good.
It's not missing breakfast and lunch that causes the LDL issue so much as the choice of meals a lot of people have when they have free extra calories for later meals mean they lean towards 'bad cholesterol'. Also a lot of the studies into this are observational and the caveats in the data state that correlatory data doesn't mean causation.

One good reason to start your day with oats is the presence of Beta Glucan which lowers LDL cholesterol - however, it doesn't have to be in the morning, can be any time of the day for the same effect.

No harm whatsoever in skipping breakfast, just be careful not to use those 'free calorie' later in the day on junk - i'm terrible for ending my day snacking on something bad when I know i've got some calories left over.

Last edited:
Soldato
I really don't think I eat a lot of junk though and I said this to my doctor but he did say a large part of this is genetics. A lot of it may not be coming from my diet. I can definitely eat fewer biscuits though in the evening if I have a cup of tea.
Porridge is something I can easily do though. Huel stops the temptation (and is cheaper) of buying crap at work. If I can keep my energy levels up then there is a chance I will actually make use of the gym at work that I pay a whopping £20 a year for, this is another reason for me getting some.

Last edited:
Soldato
Took delivery of Bananana, as well as Strawberry & Cream Black, and a new H&S Mexican Chilli about 2 weeks ago. Forgot to update this thread.

Got to admit, Mexican Chilli is 'ok'. I'm not the biggest Quinoa fan and whilst the meal does pack a kick in the heat area, the texture is rather thick soupy like. Similar to an indian dhaal (lentils). I prefer some pasta texture in there.

Since I started on Huel, and cutting out processed foods from my diet I've lost 2.5stone, approaching 3. I have a Black shake in the morning before heading to work and then a H&S about 2-3 times a week for dinner, along with some wholemeal toast or wholemeal rice. I am lucky that my job keeps me quite busy so I'm burning through about 900cals a day.

Now I just need to wait for a call from my GP so they can check my BP and see if it has changed since earlier in the year :o

Last edited:
Associate
I normally fast after my last meal of the day until I eat lunch the following day. I never feel hungry until around 1ish and then feel the need to eat.

I'm thinking about swapping my lunch to a Huel Black shake, mainly for the additional protein, my main reservation though is staying full until I eat again in the evening. HB has much more protein than the standard, but less carbs, so I'm not sure if it will keep me feeling full.

I've also noticed that I need to spend a minimum of £40 on the Huel website before I can complete an order, is this always the case?

Cheers

Caporegime
I normally fast after my last meal of the day until I eat lunch the following day. I never feel hungry until around 1ish and then feel the need to eat.

I'm thinking about swapping my lunch to a Huel Black shake, mainly for the additional protein, my main reservation though is staying full until I eat again in the evening. HB has much more protein than the standard, but less carbs, so I'm not sure if it will keep me feeling full.

I've also noticed that I need to spend a minimum of £40 on the Huel website before I can complete an order, is this always the case?

Cheers

All the people I follow for fasting state that you really shouldn't fast every single day and a sure sign you are doing it too much is never feeling hungry during your fasting window. I break my fast on 20g+ of protein from fish or meat where possible but if not use Nuzest powder as it's sucralose free, really clean source of ingredients and then eat lunch. Or Black edition if it's going to be a while before I can get to some meat or fish protein source. I would struggle to get through to the evening though just on a Huel.

Yeah you have a minimum order, just stock up :D If it's your first order you can get another bag free once you register your email address, that's batter value than a referral code. I did the best seller bundle when I started but only because I wanted to try the Hot and Savoury.

Associate
All the people I follow for fasting state that you really shouldn't fast every single day and a sure sign you are doing it too much is never feeling hungry during your fasting window. I break my fast on 20g+ of protein from fish or meat where possible but if not use Nuzest powder as it's sucralose free, really clean source of ingredients and then eat lunch. Or Black edition if it's going to be a while before I can get to some meat or fish protein source. I would struggle to get through to the evening though just on a Huel.

Yeah you have a minimum order, just stock up :D If it's your first order you can get another bag free once you register your email address, that's batter value than a referral code. I did the best seller bundle when I started but only because I wanted to try the Hot and Savoury.
Ok brill, thanks for the advice :)

Soldato
Worthless anecdotal post but, I have tried most H&S now and my faves are in order:

MacNCheese, Spag Carbonara, Cajun, Thaii Green, Chilli, Korma, Madras.

Wouldn't buy again: Tom & Herb, Bolognaise, Sweet and sour.

I suspect I'll like the chik'n mush.

Soldato
Worthless anecdotal post but, I have tried most H&S now and my faves are in order:

MacNCheese, Spag Carbonara, Cajun, Thaii Green, Chilli, Korma, Madras.

Wouldn't buy again: Tom & Herb, Bolognaise, Sweet and sour.

I suspect I'll like the chik'n mush.

I'm quickly going off mac n cheese despite initially really liking it, there's an odd aftertaste I hadn't noticed earlier on - my favourites are Cajun, Carbonara and Chicken/Mushroom. Bolognese is decent enough, would add it to a future order for variety.

Tomato & Herb, Korma can get in the bin, i'm yet to try the other flavours.

Soldato
I'm quickly going off mac n cheese despite initially really liking it, there's an odd aftertaste I hadn't noticed earlier on - my favourites are Cajun, Carbonara and Chicken/Mushroom. Bolognese is decent enough, would add it to a future order for variety.

Tomato & Herb, Korma can get in the bin, i'm yet to try the other flavours.

The issue with both bol and tom+herb is the aftertaste actually, must be a tomato based thing. That said, bol is fine if I add just a smidge of tobasco. Not actually had Mac for a year but I recall thinking I didn't like it initially but it grew on me. Carb smells unpleasant but tastes fine to me.

Soldato
The issue with both bol and tom+herb is the aftertaste actually, must be a tomato based thing. That said, bol is fine if I add just a smidge of tobasco. Not actually had Mac for a year but I recall thinking I didn't like it initially but it grew on me. Carb smells unpleasant but tastes fine to me.
My problem with the korma and tomato and herb is texture mainly, although neither is particularly flavoursome.

Flavours aside, they're doing the trick though, keep me full through the afternoon and half the calories of my previous sandwich choices.

Back
Top Bottom