I'm so happy, I've finally got a pixel perfect Pico 3 :-)

Soldato
Finally!!!!!

I noticed Amazon have started selling the Pico 3, so took a gamble and ordered another one. It's perfect :)

It reminded me why this is my current favourite VR headset after going through so many alternatives.

My Pico 4 is being sold on, but for me the 3 is the better of the two. VR is very much personal taste, but this is fantastic imho for sim racing, and I rate it higher than the reverb g2.

Spent a couple of hours racing in it yesterday. The picture quality and smoothness is just awesome :) I'm ordering a 3d printed face gasket, as the actual FOV of the screens is on par with the pico 4 (in fact, I think it's 1 degree better).

iRacing with ultra settings, 16x AF and 8x AA 90fps at 40% gpu load lol Not a hint of screen door, brighter, more colourful and the blue sky is free from seeing the subpixel array which annoyed me with the 4. The greys of the track and the skid marks are so clear and sharp which was always an issue with compression over wireless.

Now, this is a weird thing to say, but I've since learnt there is a term for it (binocular overlap?) and the Pico 3 is supposed to be really great at this.....but things feel more 3D in that I get a better sense of depth.

Very happy!

Last edited:
Soldato
Dirt rally 2.0.

Crank it to maximum, run the 3rd stage of the Greek rally in the E30 M3, or the Fiat 131 through the 3rd or 4th in Wales. The panoramic through the screen of the E30 of the hills is amazing, the overall photorealism of the Fiat and the welsh forest similarly so.

I never tire of recommending the Pico 3 to those asking the question in sim racing circles, partially to those asking for ACC or DR 2.0. Both of those were transformed from scratchy performance and looks with the G2, to crank it high well run experiences with zero need to mess about hacking the ini file. Other sims have benefited too by the way of zero drop off and stutters, but those two were transformative.

The fact that it's also the cheapest (save a tenner) headset on the market, is just a bonus.

I would drop on another one tomorrow if my current packed up.

Soldato
OP
Pico 3 is also wireless (wifi6) and has virtual desktop. I'm going to use that to play half-life alyx as there's not much room in my office.

The differences are pretty much 1920 res fresnel with wifi+displayport vs 2160 res pancake with wifi. Obviously using pancake makes the headset a bit smaller/lighter but in reality there's not much difference comfort wise.....and pancake lenses aren't as good as what they made out. Pico 4 is a tiny bit sharper, but I tell you something.....that counts for nothing when you lose the displayport. In fact, in game, I think the pico 3 is sharper. It definitely looks much better anyway. The slightly lower res and displayport doesn't hammer your gpu anywhere near as much.

Same CPU, same FOV (despite the tech specs), same sweet spot. There's also less glare for some reason. The only negative is there is a small amount of something called chromatic abberation? think that's the right term. Right at the edges of your peripheral vision, the edges of some grey objects might have a small amount of green/blue. Like a really thin line. That's about the only thing I can call out.

Last edited:
Underboss
Pico 3 is also wireless (wifi6) and has virtual desktop. I'm going to use that to play half-life alyx as there's not much room in my office.

The differences are pretty much 1920 res fresnel with wifi+displayport vs 2160 res pancake with wifi. Obviously using pancake makes the headset a bit smaller/lighter but in reality there's not much difference comfort wise.....and pancake lenses aren't as good as what they made out. Pico 4 is a tiny bit sharper, but I tell you something.....that counts for nothing when you lose the displayport. In fact, in game, I think the pico 3 is sharper. It definitely looks much better anyway. The slightly lower res and displayport doesn't hammer your gpu anywhere near as much.

Same CPU, same FOV (despite the tech specs), same sweet spot. There's also less glare for some reason. The only negative is there is a small amount of something called chromatic abberation? think that's the right term. Right at the edges of your peripheral vision, the edges of some grey objects might have a small amount of green/blue. Like a really thin line. That's about the only thing I can call out.

pico 3 is wireless ?
is that a new thing ?

i bought a pico 4 because it was wireless and better than the Quest 2 (but most importantly comfort) , if i knew that i would have saved money and got a pico 3 instead lol

Soldato
OP
You got the Pico Neo3 Link right? Which face gasket did you end up getting for it?

I sent an stl file to a 3d printing company to make up. It's coming Saturday so I'll let you know what it's like.

It's got sections for magnets, so I'll put some N52 ones in (nice and strong) and will be using a kiwidesigns foam cover.

Last edited:
Soldato
Finally!!!!!

I noticed Amazon have started selling the Pico 3, so took a gamble and ordered another one. It's perfect :)

It reminded me why this is my current favourite VR headset after going through so many alternatives.

My Pico 4 is being sold on, but for me the 3 is the better of the two. VR is very much personal taste, but this is fantastic imho for sim racing, and I rate it higher than the reverb g2.

Spent a couple of hours racing in it yesterday. The picture quality and smoothness is just awesome :) I'm ordering a 3d printed face gasket, as the actual FOV of the screens is on par with the pico 4 (in fact, I think it's 1 degree better).

iRacing with ultra settings, 16x AF and 8x AA 90fps at 40% gpu load lol Not a hint of screen door, brighter, more colourful and the blue sky is free from seeing the subpixel array which annoyed me with the 4. The greys of the track and the skid marks are so clear and sharp which was always an issue with compression over wireless.

Now, this is a weird thing to say, but I've since learnt there is a term for it (binocular overlap?) and the Pico 3 is supposed to be really great at this.....but things feel more 3D in that I get a better sense of depth.

Very happy!
mm interesting have you tried in DCS world ?

Associate
Price went down to £180 so ive bought one before it sold out. currently using a reverb G2 so it will be interesting to see if I notice the drop in resolution. i used the G2 for msfs2020 which was flawless but sometimes glitchy with my steamVR titles so i cant really go wrong at the cost of £180 for a better experience with other games.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeh missed that 1, seen on here it was £180 then went to the website to buy it, but not £180 now. Glad in a way as i'm buying Quest 3 on release so another hmd wasn't needed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Currently using a reverb G2 so it will be interesting to see if I notice the drop in resolution

Honestly i don't. 100% within Steam VR, for me it has the same pin sharp visual. Don't think i've tried MS 2020 with the pico, maybe there's more millage to be had with running Open XR and the tool kit on the G2, i don't know.

Other stuff though, as i've said before, there's better perf to be found when cranking in game up that just wasn't possible on the G2.

At the price they were knocking these out for i would have bought another, as it works so well. All eyes on upgrading to the Crystal and spending stupid money elsewhere, held me back.

Associate
Hi guys, I shared the deal as much as I could, went crazy dropping every 2 days.

Im active in the Pico community discord where there is many tips, tricks and mods for neo 3 link, I also seem to be the only one covering it on YouTube. ( Search virtually Real)

Faceplate mod is a must, I found you can even trim a Pico 4 faceplate to fit if you don't have 3d printer.

And for those on display port, I worked with Pico to unlock the driver so if you feel you wanted to change the image in any way, you can now do so.

And finally.... recently discovered a config tool for controller positions, which can be used when combined with the unlocked display port drivers.

To be clear, I am not a 'youtuber', there is absolutely none of the typical crap, just info, no subs, no likes, and hopefully soon no adverts, please don't think I'm trying to plug it, it's just where I upload.

Oh, and come join us in Pico discord, I go by same username.

Back
Top Bottom