I'm so happy, I've finally got a pixel perfect Pico 3 :-)

Soldato
OP
Price went down to £180 so ive bought one before it sold out. currently using a reverb G2 so it will be interesting to see if I notice the drop in resolution. i used the G2 for msfs2020 which was flawless but sometimes glitchy with my steamVR titles so i cant really go wrong at the cost of £180 for a better experience with other games.

How are you getting on with it?

Soldato
OP
If anyone has seen my video and got the custom DP drivers, I have just found a configuration that reduces the CA in the outer peripheral

Pico need to get their quality control sorted out, and release a pico 4 with displayport.....or make a pico 5 link with oled/qled panels.

Massive gap in the market, all PCVR headsets coming out are well over a grand, and none of them are perfect.

Last edited:
Associate
Pico need to get their quality control sorted out, and release a pico 4 with displayport.....or make a pico 5 link with oled/qled panels.

Massive gap in the market, all PCVR headsets coming out are well over a grand, and none of them are perfect.
I've two of the neo 3 links and both are fine with no issues

I did have a bad Pico 4 panel on first headset, second is fine.

But before this, I went through 3 quest 2 headsets all with bad lenses

Seems this mass produced heavily subsidiaries catches up somewhere, absolutely no issues with all my previous pc headsets (all rifts, vives, G2, etc)

While I want DP on all headsets, seems it's not happening, even with Pico 4 here Pico will tell you to buy a neo 3 link if you want PC offering.

For what it's worth, neo 3 link was and in ways still is a beta release headset, the DP mode was completely messed up and took community to bodge around it's resolution issue.

The custom drivers I've literally asked for a year now so I can finally fix the remaining chromatic aberration ( on display port, standalone is still horrid )

I wouldn't hold your breath for another display port headset from Pico, I ask a lot but they are not focused on that now.

Even meta who have their own compositor on PC still haven't added display port, such a waste of potential for the hardware in these things now.

For anyone interested in my fix, with the custom drivers change the following lines in the distortion ini to the below:
CHROMATIC_ABERRATION_1=-0.00
CHROMATIC_ABERRATION_3=0.00

I can't link files here but I do have a drag and drop config that also corrects the pixel mismatch, pm me here or if you are in Pico discord I go by same username and very active there.

Soldato
I just looked these up and even the current price is decent for a headset with controllers. I take it these will work with all VR games? I presume my RTX 3070 isn't going to be up to the job though?
rtx 3070 should be fine for most.

by all VR games? do you mean PCVR? if so almost all steam ones will work, and if you instal revive as mentioned above most rift titles as well (not all)

but you wont get oculus/meta quest titles running on it, there is unfortunately no wrapper to get quest titles on other stand alone headsets.

Soldato
OP
@GmoLargey quick question my good man. I've taken a punt on a Chinese imported Pico 3, at £179 just to tied me over until something else comes along.
at that price, I don't really mind any dead pixels or issues.....

I know how to flash the global firmware from within the settings page once all set up, but is there a way I can flash it without setting it up in the first place? I assume it's going to be all in chinese, so I'd rather flash the global one from the off if possible

Last edited:
Associate
I hope its a Neo 3 LINK and not a normal neo 3,
I would generally advise importing but thats too late now so quick breakdown on what to watch for:

pico neo 3 = no display port connection, old firmware, if china, different store without Virtual desktop, will be old OS4.x not the new OS5.x that is currently in dev ie pico 4/neo3link
pico neo 3 pro = enterprise headset, has a display port on headset but does not come with cable, all same issues above + some PC issues where latest software is ahead of what the hmd side can do and being enterprise, does not have consumer standalone store, so barebones headset.
pico neo 3 pro eye, same as above.

pico neo 3 LINK, is the latest consumer headset, picos entry into EU market, this has the latest firmware and OS development, comes with the display port connection AND the cable.
if it is a china version, the ROM/firmware and store is different to EU, so anything I talk about isn't applicable to it.

you can flash a china ROMs and use a region switcher for ''global'' stores, however, this is only by an unoffical way and could stop working in future, you cannot flash a link firmware to a pro, only each to themselves.

so unfortunately, depending on what you actually bought from china and what they send, you have some work to do.

the headset wont be in chinese once you select language which should appear pretty soon in setup process.

while I actually always advise against getting ROMs from owomushi, he is doing good work providing a means to do flashing- BUT, don't be lured into the ''oh, he has the latest os before pico releases it'' once you are setup and running, they are always ripped from god knows where
and have every bug and problems that youd expect from a rom coming from somewhere PRE beta testers getting their hands on it from pico, he doesn't state this and of course people moan when something is broke or not working not realising this ( thats what beta testers job are to point out and work to fix )

hop that helps, I did DM you back now (sorry, active on pico discord more than forums these days)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks again, I am expecting the port on the top but no cable in the box from reading the reviews. Seems some have got it working ok, will have to see once it arrives, could be £179 down the drain.

Associate
I just bought a Pico 4, I was considering a Reverb G2 but couldn't justify the £700 when the Pico is £300. Coming from an original Vive from 2016 the image quality is a hell of an upgrade. Tried Steam VR using steam link and just going to try virtual desktop.

Soldato
OP
I just bought a Pico 4, I was considering a Reverb G2 but couldn't justify the £700 when the Pico is £300. Coming from an original Vive from 2016 the image quality is a hell of an upgrade. Tried Steam VR using steam link and just going to try virtual desktop.

Yeah, it's hard to beat for £300

Associate
:( it had to go back, issues with the sound and stuttering in steam VR, plus got from Argos and realised it was a returned unit that had already been opened :mad:. Other than that worked great and image quality was fantastic, just can't be dealing with them at the moment.

Soldato
OP
:( it had to go back, issues with the sound and stuttering in steam VR, plus got from Argos and realised it was a returned unit that had already been opened :mad:. Other than that worked great and image quality was fantastic, just can't be dealing with them at the moment.

don't worry, all mine had to go back, and I had 9 :eek: (10 if you count the aliexpress one, but that was my fault)

after last weeks debacle, I spotted a cheap one on ebay. Messaged the seller to ask some questions, and he replied saying don't bother bidding as a previous buyer sent it back to him with the usual quality control issues. I'm done with pico now which is a massive shame, as if I could find a good one, it would be a cracking headset.

now holding out for somnium or deckard, cancelled my bigscreen due to not liking what I was hearing about glare (worse than pico4) but I'm still on their owners discord. Some customers who recieved last week are moaning about comfort of all things......sigh, the wait continues.

Last edited:
Associate
Finally!!!!!

I noticed Amazon have started selling the Pico 3, so took a gamble and ordered another one. It's perfect :)

It reminded me why this is my current favourite VR headset after going through so many alternatives.

My Pico 4 is being sold on, but for me the 3 is the better of the two. VR is very much personal taste, but this is fantastic imho for sim racing, and I rate it higher than the reverb g2.

Spent a couple of hours racing in it yesterday. The picture quality and smoothness is just awesome :) I'm ordering a 3d printed face gasket, as the actual FOV of the screens is on par with the pico 4 (in fact, I think it's 1 degree better).

iRacing with ultra settings, 16x AF and 8x AA 90fps at 40% gpu load lol Not a hint of screen door, brighter, more colourful and the blue sky is free from seeing the subpixel array which annoyed me with the 4. The greys of the track and the skid marks are so clear and sharp which was always an issue with compression over wireless.

Now, this is a weird thing to say, but I've since learnt there is a term for it (binocular overlap?) and the Pico 3 is supposed to be really great at this.....but things feel more 3D in that I get a better sense of depth.

Very happy!
Im looking at getting this VR headset just for sim racing... is there anyting better right now? these can be picked up for just over £200 so pretty cheap too

Soldato
OP
Im looking at getting this VR headset just for sim racing... is there anyting better right now? these can be picked up for just over £200 so pretty cheap too

for £200 no, not even close. It's brilliant for sim racing.

You could be on the lookout for a cheap pico 4 which has clearer and sharper lenses, but the trade off is an increase in gpu for encoding and compression. The compression for sim racing is annoying to be honest.

The next step up imho is the quest 3, which is £450 plus a decent battery strap and cable. That also suffers from compression though.

Do you have a fixed budget in mind, and is it ONLY for sim racing? No golf or anything?

Last edited:
Soldato
I wonder how compatible the the pico 4 screens and lenses would be if they were fitted to the pico 3 headset. Great visuals matched with zero compression. Someone on the interweb must have investigated this.

Associate
for £200 no, not even close. It's brilliant for sim racing.

You could be on the lookout for a cheap pico 4 which has clearer and sharper lenses, but the trade off is an increase in gpu for encoding and compression. The compression for sim racing is annoying to be honest.

The next step up imho is the quest 3, which is £450 plus a decent battery strap and cable. That also suffers from compression though.

Do you have a fixed budget in mind, and is it ONLY for sim racing? No golf or anything?
its only for sim racing not interested in vr for anything else really

Back
Top Bottom