Rent increase question

Associate
Did they dry their tears with the extra cash?
No, they told the letting agent to cancel the increase actually. Contary to your assumption they arent some property billionares looking to rip off the general public, but as with a lot of farm workers in the UK, have a house on the farm included with the job, as its kind of necesarry to be on site, but if you didnt have a place of your own, incase of redundance / illness etc, you would be pretty stupid. I suppose in your opinion, they should just take the gamble and cry on an internet forum about being homeless if the worst happened?

fez

fez

Caporegime
You don't get the phone calls and messages at 3am when the boiler springs a leak, or the person renting your property trips the fuse box and cannot get it working again.

Or as my partner had, "the toilet is broken!!!!". Turns out the pull cord on the light had snapped. That was a very expensive pull cord when the plumber turned up to fix the issue. I would say this was 50:50 on the feckless tenants and useless management agent.

Caporegime
OP
Gonna go look at these over the weekend,

Getting quite excited now tbh, seeing what we can get outside of london is quite an eye opener. The commute will be a bitch tho.

Soldato

Getting quite excited now tbh, seeing what we can get outside of london is quite an eye opener. The commute will be a bitch tho.
Second seems nicer, especially the outside space.

Soldato
We had a 25% increase to our rent last month, so I feel you OP. We're looking at moving to Wales, where everything is lovely and cheap. Or at least further out of the city.

I'm in West Wales and have two rentals - an accidental landlord tbh. Our old family home 3 bed semi, nice area is £550 but "market" seems closer to £700. Second was a relatives home I bought to help them move is £450 3 bed semi dorma but within spitting distance of LNG storage so not for everyone. Market would have it closer to £600. I've not raised rent in 6 years but with the mortgages up for renewal soon I'm having to consider a rent rise. Not something I want to do though and won't go higher than what it costs me to keep them. I'm hoping the one couple can buy the property from me which would suit me and hopefully avoid any upheaval and stress on their part.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Could you perhaps maybe get a flat and commute in and use the money to save up for a deposit instead?

Could you find a flat that is similar to what you have now but further out for around 1k a month and put the money left over into savings for a deposit?

After 3 years you could pocket 40K if you saved hard and that should surely get you a deposit to get on the ladder. In 3 years time house prices would hopefully have gone down to pre-covid levels too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Age of property and likely heating costs is one to consider - terraced can be good.
(energy certificate was one of reasons BTL were selling - don't know what keir would/will do)

Caporegime
Second seems nicer, especially the outside space.

The first one looks so dark.
I hate dark houses. Lived in one. Was miserable.

The second one seems significantly better. If they are in a similar area, one looks suspiciously cheap/expensive.

Might be ERC or something like said.

What's the added commute cost/time?

That rent figure still makes me wince

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure on the legalities of this, but my mum recently found herself in a mildly similar situation.

Difference is that she had had rental increases each year and the landlord was refusing to fix some major issues in the property, including a leaking skylight in her room. They requested an increase of £200 YoY from £1350 to £1550. Previous year was £150.

We weighed up options, and ultimately decided to refuse the rent increase, but to make it clear that she would continue to pay the current amount until she found a suitable property, and then give the normal amount of notice as per her contract.

She has since found and moved into a new place.

I struggle with the situation as I can see both sides. Mortgages have gone up significantly for some, so it seems fair that your rent would.

Equally, that’s the risk one takes when letting out a property. It feels unfair that the tenant takes on the responsibility of your cost of mortgage payment increases, especially if you already pay a fair bit.

I’m really lucky where I live. My landlord has been great at getting issues sorted, and my rent increases have been appropriate.

Associate
Equally, that’s the risk one takes when letting out a property. It feels unfair that the tenant takes on the responsibility of your cost of mortgage payment increases, especially if you already pay a fair bit.
True, but I doubt landlords are being able to pass on the full costs of mortgage increases to tenants if they have any significant mortgage. Tax makes it difficult.

Soldato

I used to live near Bishops Stortford, nice town and the commute to London is ok. The only thing with Stortford and the surrounding area was people marrying their cousins was fairly common place.

Soldato

Get a new job. Loads going on in Bristol

Edit: did they move bishop Stortford?

Edit2: I meant stoke bishop

Edit2: don't get a job in Bristol if you are considering Stortford..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom