Rent increase question

Caporegime
Got this email on Friday from our letting agent:

Dear Diddums,
As you may know, your rent anniversary is annually 06th February. As per your agreement terms, rent will be reviewed on each anniversary and as you have not had any rent reviews over the last two years, your landlord has asked us to review it now for December onwards.

As you may have heard, the lettings market has changed dramatically and if we were to go to market now the property would be achieving aprox £2050.00 per month for rent. The landlord is asking for an increase to £1950pcm from the current £1550.00, commencing 06th Drecember 2023. We appreciate that this is big jump in rent, but I’m sure you agree the current rent you have been paying since 2021 is unfortunately well below current market value, for some time now.

Please do let me know if this is something you can agree to and if you wish to proceed with the tenancy or if you prefer to find alternative accommodation perhaps that will be more affordable for you as we appreciate this is a significant increase.

Im here for any queries of course, but please do let me know by Friday next week if possible if you can proceed.

Thank you

The rent increase clause in our tenancy agreement states:

. 6. Rent Increase.
6.1. The Landlord can increase the Rent every twelve months on the anniversary of the date
on which the Tenancy began (“the Rent Increase Date”). For the avoidance of doubt this
means that the Rent may increase on 06th February each year. The increase is to be
calculated according to the rise in the Retail Prices Index from the start of the Tenancy or
the anniversary date whichever is the latter. To avoid doubt if the Landlord does not
increase the rent in any year this will not affect the Landlord’s rights to increase the Rent
in subsequent years.

Now from my understanding there are a few options here. First is agree and pay the higher rent from December onwards (lol).

Second is disagree and the landlord can begin the eviction process.

Third is disagree and they have to wait until the renewal.

So hive mind, what's the legality here?

Cheers :)

Caporegime
OP
If he can evict you fairly easily and make an extra £4800 a year I guess why wouldn't he? As **** as that is. 25 renters go for every property that comes up so he can easily replace you.

Lots of buy to let owners with mortgages would have been caught out when the interest rates went up last year (if they were due to renew) so it doesn't surprise me they need more to cover it

Your location says London - What type of property is it that he could get £2050 a month for? I assume it's just a flat or small house?

Yeah I'm not arguing that, we kindasorta wanted to move anyway so this was the kick we needed, but my question is whether or not he can implement this from December, two months early.

Just sorting out our timescales really.

It's a 2bed flat in Putney. No garden, no garage, one crap bathroom, great location.

Caporegime
OP
Cheers all, it seems that the agent is just trying it on. The fact that the estate agent is also refusing to give us the landlord's contact details just feeds nicely in to this, I've met the landlord and his family when they popped in earlier in the year and they were (seemingly) decent people. I suspect the landlord doesn't even know what's going on here and the estate agent is just going to go "lol we negotiated £400 a month extra can haz commissions pls" to them.

I could get the landlord's details from the neighbours and find out for realsies, if for no other reason than to hammer the agents but I'm not sure I can be arsed, I just really, really, really hate estate agents, bottom feeding scum, the lot of them.

I'm not even bothered about the increase, we're intending to move anyway, my main concern is whether we can chill until February and then move, or if we have to wakey wakey and do it now.

I just treat estate agents with absolute disdain and extreme contempt, I am fully of the impression that the estate agents have instigated this to bump up their commission and **** anyone else.

Hmmmmm. Maybe i should contact the landlord directly and ask him, I'd love nothing more than to make those wastes of skin squirm like the little snakes they are :mad:

Caporegime
OP
Parents rent a house out, and this has happened with theres, where the letting agent has put the rent up despite them saying they are happy with the current rent, as they are good tennents and they dont want to upset them.

Wouldn't be surprised if the agency was scamming both you and landlord. A long time ago when I was renting a flat with 2 mates (3bed, huge place). Agent tried to raise the rent in month 4 (to start month 6) so I asked to speak directly with landlord and was told that the only contact he wanted was through the agency.

Landlord owned business underneath us so I popped in and cheekily asked for his number and it turned out he was in the back office. Spoke with him and found out we were paying about £90/month more than the agency was told to charge and he was only getting what he told them, less their fees. Turned out that the agency was scamming several landlord/tenants to the tune of thousands per month. From then on we rented directly for another 2yrs.

This right here is my suspicion.

Us:

Please could you also provide me with the Landlords contact details?

Them:

Im afraid the landlord does not wish for any direct contact as we manage this for him, so anything you wish to convey to them we would be happy to send through for you.

Us:

Please can you provide evidence that the landlord doesn't want direct contact.

Thanks,

Them:

Having spoken to your landlord in depth again, I can confirm they wish to keep any correspondence through us direct, thank you, but as mentioned, anything you wish to convey I am happy to do so.

Add in to this that I've met the landlord, his wife and his kids when they popped in a few months ago and seemed like reasonable people, this strikes me as being out of character (however not beyond the realms of possibility, they might have seen that we live like ballers and want more wedge as a result).

Honestly the alarm bells are on fire from ringing, I really, really want to find out. I'll ask the neighbours for the landlord's contact details.

Caporegime
OP
To be fair to the letting agents...I know but hear me out.

The landlord pays them a probably not inconsiderate wedge to deal with the property and handle all Comms, it's not out of the realms of possibility that they have no interest in paying them and then having you hassle (this is how they may see it) them on the side.

Very possible, but I trust them less than I trust a politician in no. 10. I'd like to hear it from the horse's mouth tbh.

Caporegime
OP
Seeing that you're asking for advice on a forum ... You shouldn't be bothering the landlord

I know the landlord though. I'd be very surprised if he's asking for this, at least to this extent, and my extreme prejudice of any estate agents makes me want to clear it up. They could be defrauding both of us, who knows!

You should also remain realistic and keep in mind that there is currently a dearth of rental properties, so if you found yourself needing to find another, it probably won't be that easy.

Already seen quite a few we're interested in, the question is who's corner sofa they're closest to and whether I can get a mac10 delivered in 15 minutes (or how quickly I can get to work).

Caporegime
OP
Corner shop??

It's one thing seeing properties you're interested in, and it's another thing actually securing one, given the current competition.

I've no doubt whatsoever that we'll find a decent place. Are you referring to the purchasing market? That's a whole different kettle of fish.

Caporegime
OP
Gonna go look at these over the weekend,

Getting quite excited now tbh, seeing what we can get outside of london is quite an eye opener. The commute will be a bitch tho.

Caporegime
OP
Ongoing drama.

Discovered that according to the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, section 1(1), the letting agent legally has to provide us with the landlord's contact details:

Disclosure of landlord’s identity.​

(1)If the tenant of premises occupied as a dwelling makes a written request for the landlord’s name and address to—
(a)any person who demands, or the last person who received, rent payable under the tenancy, or
(b)any other person for the time being acting as agent for the landlord, in relation to the tenancy,
that person shall supply the tenant with a written statement of the landlord’s name and address within the period of 21 days beginning with the day on which he receives the request.
(2)A person who, without reasonable excuse, fails to comply with subsection (1) commits a summary offence and is liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding level 4 on the standard scale.
(3)In this section and section 2—
(a)“tenant” includes a statutory tenant; and
(b)“landlord” means the immediate landlord.

They are refusing to disclose this information, however I've managed to get the landlord's email address from a neighbour.

I also noted that on our tenancy agreement they've put their own contact details in the landlord's section (this may be standard practice tbh, dunno).

They don't know I've got the landlord's email address so I'll keep that one quiet until I've heard back from the landlord.

This is gonna go one of two ways - it's all above board and it's just my prejudice against letting agents influencing my judgement, or they're being all shady and are about to learn a very important lesson.

Caporegime
OP
Obviously for the lolz I want it to be them being shady

Dammit :(

Seems the landlord is the shady one :p

Dear all,

This morning I have received correspondence from your landlord that you made direct contact with him through sourcing his email though your neighbour.

As mentioned previously, he wishes to communicate through us, his managing agent. I would ask again that no further contact is made direct to him, we appreciate your cooperation with this and hope you respect their decision and the process.

My previous email stated the landlord is prepared to offer £1900pcm as a gesture of good will but would not be able go lower as this is still far below current market value.

We will now need your answer today on whether you wish to carry on with the tenancy at this rate of rent or if you wish to find alternative accommodation.

Please do let me know if you have any questions, and I look forward to hearing from you later today.

Not sure why they need an answer today though, our "rent anniversary" (lol) is in February.

I now need to find out what a section 13 involves and how hard it'd be for him to evict us. We don't mind moving out but we'd rather wait a bit until the perfect places comes up and not have our hand forced.

Caporegime
OP
Dear Diddums & Mrs Diddums,

I hope you are well today.

I’ve been instructed to serve you notice the terminate your tenancy on 05th January 2024. I will follow with the official document via email and letter shortly.

In the meantime, please see attached the following documents for your reference:

Signed tenancy agreement.
Gas Safety Records
Energy Performance Certificate
Electrical Installation Condition Report
How to Rent Guide
DPS Ts and Cs
DPS Leaflet
Understand the possession action process – A guide for private residential tenants in England

Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Lol.

I could fight it but to be honest having our hand forced has given us the kick we needed.

Fanrham or Guildford?

Hmmm....

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Is that all the notice they have to give to boot you out?

Dunno, need to look in to it properly. Someone mentioned a rolling contract but I'm fairly certain we signed for three years.

Will have a look.

Not ideal time to be moving.
Is that the date you need to leave?
Or you planning to drag it out?

I cba tbh. The landlord has proven himself to be a bit of a bell end and the estate agents are getting reported for breaking the terms by which they need to abide but I just want this over and done with.

Knowing what I do now they're obviously going to chance for every penny of the deposit so I'd love nothing more than to tear the place to pieces so I know they have to spend that money.

Caporegime
OP
I believe deposits are quite contestable now?
Ie they can't just do you for wear?

No idea. I won't damage the place obvs and we're leaving it in a better condition that when we moved in (new liggts fittings, bathroom fittings) but that doesn't stop me wanting to.

Caporegime
OP
Woot woot, officially a refugee from my own home :cry:

RE: Notice seeking possession of a property let on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy

As discussed, please find enclosed Section 21 Tenancy form 6a: Notice seeking possession of a property let on an assured shorthold tenancy.

You will be required to vacate the above property on 05th January 2024 .You are entitled to at least two months’ notice before being required to give up possession of the property.

Please see the enclosed Section 21 Tenancy form 6a for further information. We shall contact you separately regarding the end of tenancy procedures.

If you are unsure as to your rights in this matter you should refer this letter and its enclosure to your own Solicitor or the Citizens Advice Bureau for the benefit of professional advice.

Kind regards

Caporegime
OP
Time to go house hunting then I guess.

I personally wouldn't bother trying to argue anything, I don't think it would be worth the stress and despite any laws, knowing how everything in this country works, you'll probably find in practice be geared up to protect the bigger fish - eg your landlord.

Yeah I'm not fussed at all tbh, in all honestly this works in my favour a bit as I've wanted to move out of London for quite some time but my wife loves living near the high street so she can walk past all the shuttered shops twice a month.

I've already begun ordering stuff for the move, I want to make this as painless as possible.

Back
Top Bottom