Windows 11 is garbage

Permabanned
By "zero usability" I'm referring to Microsoft's interface design which is consitently awful. Nothing is obvious or intuitive and, whilst there's usually a way of doing something, actually finding out what it is is usually a nightmare.

Of course, once you get used to it and know where everything is, you're fine, but the "learning curve" is atrocious and very frustrating.

I thing the main gripe with Windows 11 isn't so much the few things that have actually been removed but rather the number of thing which have just been moved or changed for no apparent reason, which serves no purpose other than to frustrate users.
It's akin to your local supermarket rearranging the shelves every now and then just when you'd worked out where everything was.

Understood I got you.

Soldato
The annoying thing about windows 10 and Windows 11 is that there is so many builds depending on what you have installed stuff can be in different locations or may not even be there at all.

so talking someone through doing something is not always as easy but thankfully for me job I am connected to the PC 99% of the time

Associate
Does it still force you to create a Microsoft account or has it given you the option to create a local account?

Not had to install Windows 11 recently so unsure if this has changed.

Last time I did the command prompt option still worked.
It still tries to force you, another way to bypass it is to fail a login as [email protected] - it says too many failed attempts with this email and lets you create a local account. That's what I've done for the last few Win 11 installs

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Something else annoying is that as you use the OS and configure things certain settings menu options change or disappear like what is listed under related settings for an option - which is a pain as sometimes the path to configure something vanishes so you have to know what to search for to find it, or go the long winded way.

Soldato
I mean you could just drag out of the flyout menu the icons to the main tray area and then all icons will always stay there. aka: Show all. I did this on day 1 and not a single time has another system tray icon not always shown in the main tray like it should have done:

aCQpjkh.png

Or just toggle here:

fvEr2QZ.png

In windows 10 you had an option slider that was named something like "always show all systems tray icons" so that you wouldn't have to do each one manually so now this option is removed from Windows 11 so whenever you install something new the icon is hidden and you have to go into the above options in your screens to enable the icon whereas in Windows 10 because you enabled that slider already it would show the icon by default. In windows 11 even if the icon is enabled and you update that app it defaults back to hidden. One example is Nvidia Settings icon, every time I have to do a driver update it hides the icon so I have to manually turn the slider on.

Man of Honour
In windows 10 you had an option slider that was named something like "always show all systems tray icons" so that you wouldn't have to do each one manually so now this option is removed from Windows 11 so whenever you install something new the icon is hidden and you have to go into the above options in your screens to enable the icon whereas in Windows 10 because you enabled that slider already it would show the icon by default. In windows 11 even if the icon is enabled and you update that app it defaults back to hidden. One example is Nvidia Settings icon, every time I have to do a driver update it hides the icon so I have to manually turn the slider on.
You only need to do this once, that's it. It's not a major issue.

Like I said, since launch I've not bad to deal with umtray icons not showing all icons.

Last edited:
Soldato
Each time I update the Nvidia drivers and, as an example, the Discord app auto updates, then their respective icons have to be enabled again to show in the system tray, they seem to auto hide when updates are applied. They will remain revealed, until the next update.....
IIRC that seems to apply to some others.

Not a biggy, but it's just noticeable and somewhat annoying.
At least with W10 they remained visible, if you initially selected that option.

Last edited:
Soldato
Each time I update the Nvidia drivers and, as an example, the Discord app auto updates, then their respective icons have to be enabled again to show in the system tray, they seem to auto hide when updates are applied. They will remain revealed, until the next update.....
IIRC that seems to apply to some others.

Not a biggy, but it's just noticeable and somewhat annoying.
At least with W10 they remained visible, if you initially selected that option.
Utterly nonsense!

I installed Discord back in 2020, the Discord app auto updates, on Windows 11 their icons show in the system tray in the same way as Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista and XP did. It ddint auto hide when updates are applied, they always remain visible. Same thing with Nvidia drivers, nothing changed since Windows XP.

Man of Honour
I was going to say, I update things all the time and have never had to move tray icons back. If you manually dragged icons over to the main area on day 1, they should always remain there is my experience!

Soldato
I was going to say, I update things all the time and have never had to move tray icons back. If you manually dragged icons over to the main area on day 1, they should always remain there is my experience!

It might be on certain confogurations..? As it is noted here, in respects of the Discord app, and one person noting they are using Windows 10.

I'll try moving mine next to the system clock, well network icon, to see if it survives the next update.

This post might be relevant, or not......

3-Discord-routinely-hiding-in-system-tray-overflow-menu-discordapp.png

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm currently switching between win 10 and 11.. if I dare say it, win 11 is better once you get used to it, aside from some questionable UI choices.

Man of Honour
I'm currently switching between win 10 and 11.. if I dare say it, win 11 is better once you get used to it, aside from some questionable UI choices.

Windows 11 is marginally less disruptive updates wise, but can be more disruptive other features wise (notifications, etc. or just having to turn off certain features you didn't realise were there :( until they decide to try and be helpful at random).

I find 11 a bit more responsive overall than 10.

The UI choices and design direction is clown show stuff though - whoever signed off on the Start Menu direction needs to be slapped around the head.

Soldato
Windows 11 is marginally less disruptive updates wise, but can be more disruptive other features wise (notifications, etc. or just having to turn off certain features you didn't realise were there :( until they decide to try and be helpful at random).

I find 11 a bit more responsive overall than 10.

The UI choices and design direction is clown show stuff though - whoever signed off on the Start Menu direction needs to be slapped around the head.

Yeah that's a fair comment.. I hate the always on model they are going for, with a passion!
If i didn't play games I'd just run a ubuntu/mint linux box.

Who knows, as a PC gamer I might just end up with an X-box6/ Ps-7 and downgrade my PC to a media box...

It's becoming difficult to justify a gaming PC...although.. the high refresh rates and high native resolution, I think still give a PC based gaming system a big edge....for example playing at 1080/60hz it terrible these days...its just not a nice experience.

Permabanned
Windows 10 was exactly the same when it first came out, didn't help that it followed arguably the best windows version to date (win 7) but that's all forgotten now.

And so was windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8 and the list goes on and on and on. The next 10+ operating systems will be the same. Over and over.

Every OS I have used has had problems within the first year but slows down after that once patches, improvements n security updates come out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom