Windows 11 is garbage

Permabanned
I am not really sure why Microsoft even felt the need to change things. Ten was fine. I still use various tweaks and so on, to set 11 pretty much back to 10 !!

Only one reason. Rolling income.

If they really wanted they could just fetch out new stuff for the current latest OS without selling a new OS.

Not like Apple where their OS is free but pay more for their hardware.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It was fine for touch screen devices.

I'd still rather use the traditional Start Menu than the implementation on 8 when using a touchscreen - until I replaced it with the Lenovo Legion Go I was still using a Windows 8 tablet until a couple of weeks back - I'd pretty much reskinned it to be functionally and looking like Windows 7 and that worked fine on touch with a couple of small adjustments.

Windows 8 was actually a fairly decent OS underneath the skin but the shell layer left a lot to be desired.

Permabanned
I'd still rather use the traditional Start Menu than the implementation on 8 when using a touchscreen - until I replaced it with the Lenovo Legion Go I was still using a Windows 8 tablet until a couple of weeks back - I'd pretty much reskinned it to be functionally and looking like Windows 7 and that worked fine on touch with a couple of small adjustments.

Windows 8 was actually a fairly decent OS underneath the skin but the shell layer left a lot to be desired.

Same

Soldato
I, typically, fight Windows. Since Windows 95 I've had my Start Menu grouped. Now I've finally admitted defeat and just have the icons out that I use. I very rarely click on the Start Button unless I'm going into Control Panel. The main annoyance I have with Windows is the half way house we're in with Settings versus Control Panel. Make up your mind either migrate everything or leave the Control Panel alone. There's still so much functionality missing from Settings. On that note though I actually don't mind 11 (bearing in mind I was one of the rare people that was fine on Windows ME). It does most of the things I need it to do and is backwards compatible with the software I use so I can't complain too much but there are a few workarounds you may need to put in place to get it working how you want.

M.

Soldato
And so was windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8 and the list goes on and on and on. The next 10+ operating systems will be the same. Over and over.

Every OS I have used has had problems within the first year but slows down after that once patches, improvements n security updates come out.

There was nothing good about ME, Vista or 8...

Soldato
The UI choices and design direction is clown show stuff though - whoever signed off on the Start Menu direction needs to be slapped around the head.
Windows boss takes on taskbar turmoil, pledges to 'make Start menu great again' - The Register

Windows boss Mikhail Parakhin has admitted that the Start menu needs a bit of work.

Posting on X (formerly Twitter) in response to a plea to "just fix the start menu" so all apps could be scrolled, Parakhin agreed, saying it "annoys the hell out of me too" and promised to "make Start menu great again."

Soldato
I haven't used the Start Menu for years, not as a menu anyway.

I just hit the start button, start typing what I'm after, and hit enter when I've typed enough characters for it to get to what I want.

My work machine is still windows 10 and I have a toolbar links folder with a lot of dev shortcuts, I'd want some method to replicate that in 11, but haven't tried yet.

Man of Honour
I haven't used the Start Menu for years, not as a menu anyway.

I just hit the start button, start typing what I'm after, and hit enter when I've typed enough characters for it to get to what I want.

My work machine is still windows 10 and I have a toolbar links folder with a lot of dev shortcuts, I'd want some method to replicate that in 11, but haven't tried yet.

You can do folders Android style on Windows 11 Start Menu by dragging and dropping onto another icon - it is pretty **** though and hugely inefficient workflow wise, personally so it typing into search for anything frequently used but understand that will be a different case for everyone, I barely use search at all unless it is something fairly obscure.

Soldato
I hope they completely overhaul it. I've never liked the recent incarnations.
The right click menus, lack of taskbar customisation and perfectly inadequate start menu are just some reasons I detest Windows 11 - and that's not mentioning the file explorer that even Fisher Price wouldn't give away to kids for free.

If I do move to Windows 11, I'll almost certainly be using StartAllBack, just as I'm using StartIsBack++ for Windows 10.

Last edited:
Soldato
The right click menus, lack of taskbar customisation and perfectly inadequate start menu are just some reasons I detest Windows 11 - and that's not mentioning the file explorer that even Fisher Price wouldn't give away to kids for free.

If I do move to Windows 11, I'll almost certainly be using StartAllBack, just as I'm using StartIsBack++ for Windows 10.
Quick launch would be good to get back

Back
Top Bottom