YouTube Premium

Soldato
Gonna try this. I had Premium with my phone contract, but recently switched. Really liked premium, but not paying the extorsionate amount it seems to be here now.

I use PIA as VPN though. So I guess we will see if that works.

Soldato
I have a week left of my turkish holiday annual premium subscription. I've recently been to Turkey & Argentina and my Revolut transaction get declined and requires a payment method from your billing country. (Ukraine just tries to charge me in USD)

Is this game over from holiday subsciptions?
Ukraine works just reconnect to a different server or use a different VPN

Associate
I've successfully set up in Ukraine now as Turkey was no longer a suitable destination. I normally use PIA for VPN but this didn't work in this case so I had to go 'Urban'

Don
Another option to VPN if you have access to do so

Mate had loads of issues with VPN so set up an Azure VM in another country and went through 1st time

Associate
I refuse to pay the buggers even a penny. Youtube Vanced on my phone, Tampermoney + uBlock on desktop, a sideloaded youtube app with no ads on LG OS on my OLED.

Associate
I think YouTube is great, except for the adverts which are too intrusive now. I think they should charge nearer £1 a week for a reduced ads tier, at that price I think lots of people would pay.

Soldato
Popcorn.webp

Associate
Out of interest why are they buggers?
Greed. Unskippable Ads every few minutes inside videos, not just the start. Extremely expensive premium service. You lot are having to Ukraine VPN to dodge that. Shorts. Shorts again.

Their business model has become “how can we annoy potential customers as much as possible, in order to make them paying customers?”. So they’re focused on being as annoying as possible instead of providing value.

Soldato
How come we can't talk about dodgy sport streams but promoting VPN into other locations to exploit pricing is cool ?

Just wondering

Because dodgy sports streams are illegal in the UK whereas the Youtube VPN thing is just against their TOS and not actually illegal in the UK.

Think of it like Tax Evasion (illegal) vs Tax Avoidance (some of it might be considered "morally dubious" however its not illegal)

Associate
Greed. Unskippable Ads every few minutes inside videos, not just the start. Extremely expensive premium service. You lot are having to Ukraine VPN to dodge that. Shorts. Shorts again.

Their business model has become “how can we annoy potential customers as much as possible, in order to make them paying customers?”. So they’re focused on being as annoying as possible instead of providing value.
Tv has had unskippable ads forever. I honestly think YouTube premium is the best subscription I pay for

Man of Honour
Tv has had unskippable ads forever.

Which it isn't the better for... and personally one of the reasons why I've rarely watched TV my entire life, albeit I don't block ads (mostly) in YT, until they get to the point they are too annoying - as mentioned above YT intentionally try to annoy people into becoming paying customers which won't work on me not to mention the site functionality is like something out of the early days of the internet however many times they try and give things rounded corners to try and look more modern...

Associate
Tv has had unskippable ads forever. I honestly think YouTube premium is the best subscription I pay for

And I think a massive issue (one of many) with modern hypercapitalist consumerist society is the constant bombardment with advertising. I think people should have a right to choose whether they want to 1. Be spammed constantly with ads 24/7, when browsing the web, on TV, out on the streets, and 2. To what extent and how their personal data is sold and harvested to facilitate #1. Personally I'd rather be involved with neither. I don't think it's ethical for multi billion dollar organisations like Google/Youtube to force me to pay them just to have that option.

Back
Top Bottom