YouTube Premium

Caporegime
I'll never pay for YouTube premium, but damn have they totly destroyed YouTube now.

Ads every few minutes randomly through a video, and a lot of them seem to be AI made scams spreading conspiracys. Saw one about some eye/vision thing that was insane earlier.

RIP internet. Everything is going to ****

Associate
I'll never pay for YouTube premium, but damn have they totly destroyed YouTube now.

Ads every few minutes randomly through a video, and a lot of them seem to be AI made scams spreading conspiracys. Saw one about some eye/vision thing that was insane earlier.

RIP internet. Everything is going to ****
Ha this is why i pay the £2 odd for it.(Through India VPN) I cant be bothered with the ads.

It's a good trade of for me personally, as I use YouTube pretty much everyday of my life.

Man of Honour
It's 12 quid a month or something to not have adverts, surely that's a good deal.

Nope, even though I use YT a lot £12 doesn't seem like a good deal, especially when a lot of the site itself functionally is poor. Maybe if I used YT Music but I don't and it doesn't replace my existing music services.

Personally I'd pay up to about £7.99m, I'd even pay that if there were page ads as long as not ads which interrupted the video. But also for a long time they've engaged in behaviours designed to frustrate and annoy people into paying rather than putting that effort into building a compelling product so on principle I'm not paying what feels like over the odds for YT.

Soldato
£13 to remove ads on YouTube is a terrible deal. I'm all for paying a fair price for any product or service but YouTube is simply not worth that purely to remove ads (I gather there's some other 'Premium' content but who cares?), hence my subscription was done via a VPN to Pakistan for a tenth of the cost.

Soldato
£13 to remove ads on YouTube is a terrible deal. I'm all for paying a fair price for any product or service but YouTube is simply not worth that purely to remove ads (I gather there's some other 'Premium' content but who cares?), hence my subscription was done via a VPN to Pakistan for a tenth of the cost.
It might be moot, but it also allows background play which I use as I tend to listen to YouTube a lot whilst doing DIY etc. But fair enough if it's not for you. I easily get my moneys worth to be honest.

Soldato
I've just upgraded my family package to YouTube Premium, I was already paying £16.99 and me and my son watch it a fair bit. An extra £3 for no adverts seems reasonable considering how many there are.

Soldato
It might be moot, but it also allows background play which I use as I tend to listen to YouTube a lot whilst doing DIY etc. But fair enough if it's not for you. I easily get my moneys worth to be honest.

I'd forgot about background play. I often listen to crypto / financial channels but don't necessarily need to watch the content.

Soldato
Why not? YT Music is really good, probably use it more than the actual YT app on my phone.

I get Spotify free through work and have done for almost 10 years. What’s more, my family use my account, so a) we have a lot of established playlists/artists/albums set up and b) they know how to use it without nagging me every five minutes. :D

I’ve currently got a 3-month free sub to Apple Music which I’m trialling. It’s fine, the Spatial Audio stuff is cool, but nothing is making me think I’ll switch from Spotify when the trial ends. I have no motivation to try YT Music after Apple Music.

Soldato
The use case you have described doesn’t apply to the vast majority of user though. Youtube Music/Spotify audio quality I can’t tell that much difference if I am being completely honest.

Killing competition is what a competitive market is all about isn’t it and is what drives innovation and evolution of products.

Ultimately if Youtube premium does not offer value to the end user it will get killed off or prices reduced. :)

Paying for a VPN is better value.

Soldato
I'm not seeing innovation and evolution of youTube. It's sole objective seems to be encourage click bait content of decreasing quality to feed ads of increasing length and stupidity.

YouTube music also is not innovative or any evolution of music streaming. It's a race to the bottom.

They slashed the income from creators making it unviable for many. They are also making it hard to find the content you want and corralling you to drivel.

Man of Honour
Sigh getting a lot of mid-content ads tonight, not usual placement, probably part of their efforts to frustrate people into Premium :( fortunately YT still hasn't fixed the ability to skip ads at will though :cry: (sorry not elaborating as I don't want it getting fixed).

Still makes me rather just not watch videos and find something else, while I'll put up with ads at the start or on the page, etc. for the sake of creators.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom