Bought a Soundblaster X4, starting to regret it!

Associate
Hi,

My ITX mobo needed an Optical out for my Logitech z906. i know people here will scoff at the z906 but that’s fine, i am happy with it.
Anyway, I bought a SoundBlaster x4 and on any online videos like You tube or the BBC news etc its causes a delay in the audio of about 3 seconds. Others have mentioned this as a reoccurring issue with previous models also.
some say the delay is because the z906 going to sleep, some say its due to the USB power settings. has anyone had this happen to them?

in hindsight if i knew this would be an issue, I’d never of bought it. I am now going to deal with Creatives customer support about getting a full refund and will then look for another option unless a fix can be found. maybe a cheap DAC PS100 if i can get hold of it. (other recommendations that'll do the job welcome)

Very surprised by this, really would have thought a well established company like creative would have a fix for this.

Thanks P

Associate
OP
Did you try changing the usb power settings and turning off standby ?
no not yet, i'll have to look into how to do that this evening. not confident it'll be the solution.

another possible fix people have said was to install a program that allways sends a optical signal out even if no sound is playing. That way it wont go to sleep.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just tried all you've suggested during my lunch break. still occuring as before. it seems to be quite sporadic as well. i open a tab with a you tube video and i scrub the time to different places and its ok. switch to another tab with a you tube video in it and press play and i have the 3 second delay and i try and scrub it and you get more 3 second delays from when you play it. the video plays you can see someone speaking and you hear no audio for 3-4 seconds. this was in firefox but I will try chrome later but suspect it'll all be the same.

Last edited:
Don
Have you tried the reg key fix?

Got a solution from community itself after searching sometime:
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/System-Sound-Delay/td-p/6224970
New temporary solution that works with Realtek drivers.

Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\xxxx\PowerSettings

where 'xxxx' is one of keys which contains
DriverDesc value 'Realtek High Definition Audio'.
Note: There may be multiple ones containing PowerSettings,

for example 'Nvidia High Definition Audio'.
You'll find there three binary values and set them:
  • ConservationIdleTime = ff ff ff ff;
  • IdlePowerState = 00 00 00 00;
  • PerformanceIdleTime = ff ff ff ff.
Default values are all 00 00 00 00 which disables power settings,
but driver somehow overrides it with 0a 00 00 00
which is 10 seconds (0x0a = 10) and is by default in driver.

Problem shouldn't occur again after restart (or I haven't noticed).
This is not solution to problem,
it only prevents audio hardware going idle,
but I don't see any impact on energy consumption.

Mentioned in the comments here:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Please let me know how it goes - I was just about to pull the trigger on one of these myself.
Actually i think its sorted now. what i had to do was turn OFF the Encoder and not use the Dolby Digital Live as this was causing the 3 second delay in the audio as its software. there was some helpful yet patronizing guy on reddit who said :

Encoder off -> good quality stereo
Encoder on -> ddl,compressed 5.1 because of bandwidth limitation of the optical.
X4 cannot be faulty. Encoder is pure Software, X4 just outputs what it gets..
Don't know why you are going via ancient compressed DDL ... analogs output good quality, no compression, no latency, EQ can be used, calibration, etc.

i'd still like to talk to Creative about this surly they must know that there software on DDL has a delay on any streamed content. pretty poor tbh.

Associate
OP
Creative customer support via Overclockers Forum how can I help..........;) :D

Glad you sorted it.
Thanks @mickyflinn as always! OCUK community is always the best and my first point of call.

@Bill Turnip Yeah i am a bit disappointed in it to be honest you'd think stuff written on the box would work flawlessly. i'll probably chase this up with Creatives customer support for answers and let you know what they say.

Associate
OP
also @Bill Turnip maybe via analog this issue with the delay does not exist with DDL, so maybe it would work that way but not optical. This is something I'll have to try but prefer the cleanness optical delivers though.

Last edited:
Associate
I did test an ae-7 once and it was pretty good, but a couple of small issues (pretty specific to my setup) meant it wasn't suitable. I currently have DDL encoding, but it won't work with Windows 11, so it's something I'm preparing for when the inevitable forced upgrade is due.

Associate
OP
i'll probably chase this up with Creatives customer support for answers and let you know what they say.
@Bill Turnip @mickyflinn so i have been in touch with creative, they asked me to run a diagnostic on my PC with the tool they provided, i did this and sent it off to them. Today they got back to me and asked if i had i overclocked my PC? for which i said i had not over clocked my 5700x, i have however set my ram to 3600Mhz which is the recommended speed for AM4 systems. With the email they also provided a link, which says Creative does not support ram over its Base speed and may cause delays etc etc. This i was pretty surprised by. so Creative cant support the recommended sweet spot ram speed for my system? Are they saying that with any ram speed over the base there products wont work as intended? i really didn't see in big red letters on the box anywhere it says this.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
@Bill Turnip @mickyflinn so i have been in touch with creative, they asked me to run a diagnostic on my PC with the tool they provided, i did this and sent it off to them. Today they got back to me and asked if i had i overclocked my PC? for which i said i had not over clocked my 5700x, i have however set my ram to 3600Mhz which is the recommended speed for AM4 systems. With the email they also provided a link, which says Creative does not support ram over its Base speed and may cause delays etc etc. This i was pretty surprised by. so Creative cant support the recommended sweet spot ram speed for my system? Are they saying that with any ram speed over the base there products wont work as intended? i really didn't see in big read letters on the box anywhere it says this.
Looks that way

You should run the memory at default spec which I think is 2133 mhz and see if it makes any difference, then get back to them if it doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom