Bought a Soundblaster X4, starting to regret it!

Associate
run the memory at default spec which I think is 2133 mhz and see if it makes any difference
thats silly, support spreading FUD about overclocking.
you could entertain them, but I guarantee RAM is not the issue here

and if it was, thats even worse for them. how do you design your product that breaks when ram speed is different. Haven't we been through this with Turbo button 33/66MHz cpu speed toggle?

Associate
Had same issue with my setup and finally bought SMSL PO100 Pro nad tbh I doubt you can get better for what you need. Sound out of it insane.

Wanted to spend money up to £300 but £60 done the job and I'm more than happy.

Associate
OP
After a long Customer support back and forth with Creative labs they have given me a response. I sent them a video demonstrating the issue, the answer i received and i quote :

"We have checked your query and the initial silence is an expected interaction, since it may take some for audio to be played after the audio stream is started."

WHAT?

i said to them i didn't read that using DDL from one of there products is normal to have a delay of 3 - 4 seconds at the start of every streamed video. its a bit bad when they offer a key feature of the device and don't have this described anywhere AFAIK. it seems there is no solution here and simple Creative labs releases dodgy products that are not as described. Don’t buy from them. i won’t be ever again and i have asked them for compensation due to it not working as described. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Soldato
I may have the kernel of a solution for you as I had a similar problem with my Katana v2 Soundbar. It took a short while to turn itself on after sound started playing. My solution was to have it fully on permanently. Since this is a different device I’m not sure how you effect it but turning off all power saving measures seems like a good start.

Associate
OP
Ok so Creative were pretty useless and basically fobbed me off, I'd thought I'd update people on this. i've been talking to the kind people on reddit and one guy said this occurs due to the optical port on the X4 going to sleep if no sound is played.
A makeshift solution to this is to us a lightweight program called SPDIF-KA which plays an inaudible sound all the time. so far it has worked and solved the issue at the cost of my system going into standby mode and saving power. Really however, this should be in the software from creative as a check box tweakable, its a common issues. i've logged this with there customer support team and pointed them to SPDIF-KA . Going by the utter useless support team at creative labs they probably won't do anything useful like pass it on to developers like they say they will, i have little hope of a software fix.
i the meantime if you have a issue similar to mine go and search and download the SPDIF-KA v1.4.0 exe

i'd put a direct link to it but it may get flagged by the mods here so i won't

Thanks

Paul

Last edited:
Soldato
Had same issue with my setup and finally bought SMSL PO100 Pro nad tbh I doubt you can get better for what you need. Sound out of it insane.

Wanted to spend money up to £300 but £60 done the job and I'm more than happy.
hi mate quick question regarding the SMSL, im planning on using via USB-C on my new PC direct to my tried and tested logitech z5500 speakers, preferably via digital coaxial. Is there anything that is needed to set it up? will this somehow improve the on-board sound coming from usb-c ?

Last edited:
Associate
Hi Naah_H,

SMSL is USB-C to SPDI/F converter so it suits your system very well (feels like SMSL rep here now lol). It uses probably one of best sound chips on the market (AK4493).

All you need is quality digital cable - don't save on it, they do make big difference.
I bet you will be surprised how much sound will improve.

If you're not sure if it will improve, get it, test it and return if don't like. But I'm sure you'll bring new life to Logitech equipment.

EDIT: just double check if your speakers will take Optical Cable. If you can use COAX - its better than Optical so will use that, If not good RCA will do the job.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi Naah_H,

SMSL is USB-C to SPDI/F converter so it suits your system very well (feels like SMSL rep here now lol). It uses probably one of best sound chips on the market (AK4493).

All you need is quality digital cable - don't save on it, they do make big difference.
I bet you will be surprised how much sound will improve.

If you're not sure if it will improve, get it, test it and return if don't like. But I'm sure you'll bring new life to Logitech equipment.

EDIT: just double check if your speakers will take Optical Cable. If you can use COAX - its better than Optical so will use that, If not good RCA will do the job.
Hi I actually ordered the PO100 AK as it’s the only one that was left on the rainforest and it came today. I have tested with my MacBook Pro and so far getting sound out from the optical and digital coax. So seems to be working straight out of the box. I’m still yet to build my new pc but will test it with the outgoing one. The idea is to have as little cables as possible while keeping optical in for my tv.

I’m assuming it can output Dolby digital / DTS over coax ?

Soldato
Sorry, ive not read the whole thread, but you should have brought the X3 instead of the X4, they look exactly the same, X3 is cheaper, but the X3 is a 32bit DAC, and for some reason they went backwards with the X4 and only made it a 24bit DAC.

Back
Top Bottom