Project: Two storey/part single storey side and rear extensions

Soldato
Oh dear that floor threshold ain't great. I assume it's a pain cos it's click flooring rather than glue down LVT?

Deffo on them to fix if the drawings showed ways doors swing?

Last edited:
Soldato
Worst thing is I look at that and say why did they even add the strip I would have just taken the floor right through
i have hard floors top and ground floors and only one join, hall to lounge were the orientation switches 90 degrees

I think if it's click lock flooring it needs expansion across long lengths. Particularly if you have underfloor heating.

I think if it's click lock flooring it needs expansion across long lengths. Particularly if you have underfloor heating.

Maybe but I think that picture is from bottom of the stairs so the room inside that door is the play room which is a narrow area (where the extension gap would allow movement) compared to the long length from up near the dining room to this point which doesn't seem likely to have an expansion joint.
If that makes sense.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Maybe but I think that picture is from bottom of the stairs so the room inside that door is the play room which is a narrow area (where the extension gap would allow movement) compared to the long length from up near the dining room to this point which doesn't seem likely to have an expansion joint.
If that makes sense.

This is correct. The main living area has no thresholds and is around 80SQM or so; its just the play room and snug that have the thresholds. The playroom could have been avoided but yet again it was a breakdown in communcation and different trades doing 1st and 2nd fix etc with zero project management by the developer.

Would you accept Kai's floor?

I would absolutely not accept it, I can't believe someone thought that was OK. That's not even a snagging issue. Seriously, what the ****?

I am not; the actual gap is 4.5 inches away from the door. The developer is on his way up but from what i can gather from the trades here today, he sees no issue and there is nothing that can be done. I'll await with baited breath. Either way, i have the the wording what a threshold should be "Door thresholds are located at the bottom of a doorway and are the transition space between one door and another." NOT a hop skip and jump away.

Stay tuned!!!

Last edited:
Associate
Are you not concerned with the bit of the stairs just stuck out into the floor next to the door.

Also doorway means the whole door jamb area so technically it is okay but i agree it looks terrible and should be sorted.

Associate
Are you not concerned with the bit of the stairs just stuck out into the floor next to the door.

Also doorway means the whole door jamb area so technically it is okay but i agree it looks terrible and should be sorted.
I noticed that too, trip hazard for sure.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP

No, it actually looks alright, to be fair. Plus, we are going to have a carpenter install some type of rounded bullnose in the not-so-distant future, as we are planning to cap the stairs with oak.

Indeed, all the talk of smaller doors etc. I would just move the jam out and the door to follow.
Would be a restricted opening that way however. (Its going to be limited to 90 degrees)
He presented us with two options:
  1. Stripping the floor right back.
  2. Moving the door forward, reducing its size from 33' to 30', with the strip positioned under the door and not visible when closed.
We chose option 2 because we want this project to conclude and the developer out of our lives.

Last edited:
No, it actually looks alright, to be fair. Plus, we are going to have a carpenter install some type of rounded bullnose in the not-so-distant future, as we are planning to cap the stairs with oak.

He presented us with two options:
  1. Stripping the floor right back.
  2. Moving the door forward, reducing its size from 33' to 30', with the strip positioned under the door and not visible when closed.
We chose option 2 because we want this project to conclude and the developer out of our lives.

Can't say I blame you TBH!

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
The meeting today unfolded very differently from my expectations; firstly, he apologized for the poor workmanship to date and admitted he was to blame for many of the issues. This marks the first time he has ever admitted fault, and said he has left one guy go.

He began by stating, "This is not the standard of my work," and mentioned that he spent yesterday reconciling, revealing that we are currently around £2,800 over budget. HOWEVER, we are still awaiting the arrival of the front doors, which is the major obstacle preventing us from moving in. They were supposed to arrive yesterday, but nothing has come yet. He apologized for the delay and claimed to have ordered PVC (although we doubt the truth of this claim). He expressed willingness to complete the project, waive all apparent over-budget costs, and arrange for new composite doors along with a new timeframe. Plus getting the bathroom complete and juilet balcony in by end of play next week. (Again we are optimistic)

The meeting went well, he is doing the bathroom as we speak and doing snagging etc. We left the meeting on fairly resonable good terms compared to the huge shouting matches of late.

30 minutes later, i get a phone call can a couple come round to look at the house as a reference :cry:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom