*** OcUK VR Sim Racing Thread ***

Associate
Laps - 12
Drivers Aids - Authentic
Damage - Off
Tyre Wear - Off
Fuel - Authentic

says nothing about engine/oil temps..

@ShiWarrior is asking as he closed the air vents.. and had high oil temps.. and wondered if that was going to affect anything in the race..

but as damage is off.. then shirley your engine is safe?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Laps - 12
Drivers Aids - Authentic
Damage - Off
Tyre Wear - Off
Fuel - Authentic

@ShiWarrior is asking as he closed the air vents.. and had high oil temps.. and wondered if that was going to affect anything in the race..

I'm not sure there's a setting for those, I'll need to check. I had a warning in practice though when I closed the vents too much.

Underboss
Laps - 12
Drivers Aids - Authentic
Damage - Off
Tyre Wear - Off
Fuel - Authentic

That was my secret weapon !!! ;)

Yeah i put it to 0% and did over 12 laps with no problems
temps were extremely high

Associate
I was interested to see @RevBillyG mention on the Discord he was getting a decent performance boost from using Steam Link on the Quest.

I've got both a Pico 4 and a Quest 2. I'd settled on using the Pico over virtual desktop up to now as it is more comfortable. But I just tried Steam link on the Quest 2 and it definitely performs better than virtual desktop for me.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get Steam Link to work with the Pico?

Soldato
OP
Steamlink should require less processing as it uses foveated rendering (your peripheral vision is rendered at a lower resolution). This is good for those who need extra fps, but you can't turn it off.

This is ultimately why I switched back to virtual desktop. In fact, for quest 3 users, vd is the only way to render at the native resolution. Even quest link, or airlink only goes up to 1.5x and 1.7x is needed for true 1:1 (3072x3216 should be reported in performance overlay or fpsvr).

Don't think there's a pico app for steamlink though, and I wouldn't hold out for one either. If you need more fps, depending on game, openxr toolkit is a good idea. AMS2 has a bug though for quest users where no matter what you do, it forces the use of the quest runtime, which is another reason I moved back to vd.

Last edited:
Soldato
Steamlink should require less processing as it uses foveated rendering (your peripheral vision is rendered at a lower resolution). This is good for those who need extra fps, but you can't turn it off.

Steam Link uses foveated encoding, not rendering.
This increases the sharpness of the image in the centre, and reduces the bandwidth needed to get a decent image. However it doesn't have the potential savings of foveated rendering. In any case for foveated rendering and encoding to work well you need eye tracking, because as you say it makes the edges blurry, which is horrible on a pancake lens headset (Probably not noticable on Quest 2 for instance).

Rumours are Steam Link is in fact a test of wireless for the forthcoming Deckard headset which will almost certainly use eye-tracking. It's interesting that Quest Pro has come into its own now in Steam Link being one of the few headsets that can support eye-tracked foveated rendering.

Associate
Does anyone use a quest 3 with iracing and a 7900xt? Don't really want to switch to a 4070ti but iracing has become my most played game.

Back
Top Bottom