*** OcUK VR Sim Racing Thread ***

Associate
I assume they’re coming from the RX480 in their sig, not a 4070ti, so a 7900xt would be quite the upgrade. But I’ve got no experience with that GPU or Quest to comment.
Sorry I'm on mobile so never see my sig. I have a 5800x3d and a 7900xt already. Just read multiple people saying Nvidia is much better in iracing due to sps and foveated rendering.

Soldato
Sorry I'm on mobile so never see my sig. I have a 5800x3d and a 7900xt already. Just read multiple people saying Nvidia is much better in iracing due to sps and foveated rendering.

Not much point changing just for VR. If you were deciding between them, that would be a different story. Just if you are using the Quest 3 with that card make sure to use HEVC or AVC encoding.

Soldato
OP
***** CONGRATULATIONS *****
******* RACE WINNER *******
********* Greboth *********

Greboth won round 2 of the OcUK VR Sim Racing 2024 Championship at Cadwell Park

Full Race Results

Greboth - 25 +1 Fastest Lap
kevman - 18
glenimp617 - 15
DangerousDan - 12
mrcookie73 - 10
RevBillyG - 8
R1gg4 - 6
$hi - 4
OllieH82 - 2
Bacon_Sandwich - 1
smith_mikej - 0

Huge thanks to all those who participated in tonights event!

Last edited:
Associate
How come I didn't finish last? I was in the toilet when the race started, and had to pit after 3 laps as my setup had 3 laps of fuel. Something pretty bad must have happened to you @Mike_J_Smith ??
Ha, yeah. That pretty bad thing will be my natural skill coming through :D

I got caught out by only having done time trials I think and I couldn't keep the car on track. Also didnt help getting interrupted at home a couple of times; but that's a poor excuse! Not enough practice really. Hopefully I'll get some more in for the next race and I won't concentrate on single lap time trials like this time. I'm pretty new to sim racing and this was my first online multiplayer type thing, so it's all good fun for me - Although I'd rather have not been last or lapped :cry:

Soldato
OP

I got caught out by only having done time trials I think and I couldn't keep the car on track. Also didnt help getting interrupted at home a couple of times; but that's a poor excuse! Not enough practice really. Hopefully I'll get some more in for the next race and I won't concentrate on single lap time trials like this time. I'm pretty new to sim racing and this was my first online multiplayer type thing, so it's all good fun for me - Although I'd rather have not been last or lapped :cry:

That's exactly how we all were in the first race. Hammered the time trials, then went sideways in the race :cry:

Associate
This stuff is hard. I've been racing the dallara p217 lmp2 on iracing a lot lately, because it kicks my ass. I can get within 2 seconds of the "ideal" time on gt3's and sf-23's, but the LMP cars really give me the business, but I like how it feels like I'm cozily enclosed with the padding that (virtually) goes over my shoulder haha.

But like if I try to lap say, nurburgring in the lmp2, I top out at like 1:47, and I've seen people on youtube hotlaps do 1:42. And my lap looks identical to theirs, everything is approached the same, I make the same gear decisions, I'm hard on the throttle the second I can be, which I know because every other lap when I'm pushing I'll lose the back at least once. I'm not going to pay for setups, so I know I'm not really in the game competition wise, but still, let's be super aggressive and say they are getting like a second and a half from their setups. I'm still not even in the same ballpark. I don't understand what makes an alien an alien.

Worse, I broke my foot and have 2 months off work - and I can't even race. I'm not going back to right foot braking. So I'm stuck here frustrated, knee-deep in trying to figure this car out, and not able to carry on.

I see you guys play ACC a lot. I like it enough, well the gt4's feel good on there, but in VR the cars feel and look... seperate from the road. IDK I don't want to preach, but when I tried iracing for the first time it was quite a revelation. It felt like I was finally driving a car. AMS2 looks the part, and it's fun, but it doesn't quite nail the feel. IDK I really **** with iracing. I even think it looks the best, just because of clarity. I can get away with 1.4 in debug and it legitimately looks like a computer monitor clarity in the quest 3, which I honestly thought was years away when I was on the quest 2.

I really wanna try LMU but no VR in a sim in 2024 is so bizarre to me, I know it's coming but... I just don't get why there's a wait, I didn't think it's that hard to implement and it seems like a mandatory thing now

Associate

Mate I know exactly what you mean - check the standings . Think we'll be battling it out for the wooden spoon, my money's on me

Back
Top Bottom