• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX 7900 GRE as of 20/03/2024 - Not such a flawed product?

Man of Honour
@JediFragger If you thought that was amusing you are going to wet yourself at this. The card is coming tomorrow but what I forgot to take into account is that SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed AKA the wife) finishes at 12.30 on Fridays and if this comes when she is home I am dead!! I can hardly pass off a dirty great heavy box as "it's only a couple of fans dear"!! I might have to change delivery to Monday as I value my life.

Soldato
@JediFragger If you thought that was amusing you are going to wet yourself at this. The card is coming tomorrow but what I forgot to take into account is that SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed AKA the wife) finishes at 12.30 on Fridays and if this comes when she is home I am dead!! I can hardly pass off a dirty great heavy box as "it's only a couple of fans dear"!! I might have to change delivery to Monday as I value my life.
Ask her to pick something up at Tesco's for you so you can get home earlier if you not much later getting home.:p.

Associate

That doesn't sound good. I just said to my wife that I wanted some retail therapy and ordered through our business. Certainly sounds like it makes your life exciting though :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I is saved!! She just came home from work and said she will not be coming home straight after work tomorrow as she's going into Elgin with her best friend to have lunch and pick where they will be going for their week long holiday. I wonder if I can sway the date of that? When is AMD's next Ryzen being launched? :D :D :D

Man of Honour
It came this afternoon, no haribo though!! Damn it's power hungry. I fired up the Horizon Zero Dawn bench and the whole pc was pulling 445w compared to 315w with the undervolted 3070. I need to find my way around the AMD software and undervolt it as well as learn what all the settings do. Some obligatory pics:-

First boot up.
0oWx5uG.jpeg

Asrock software installed and synced with everything else.
IjRhrYH.jpeg

Man of Honour
I have a slight undervolt at the moment and playing ETS2 with loads of mods at 1440p I saw a max temp of 67 degrees with a hotspot of 81 degrees so not bad on the quiet profile. The card was sustaining a 2366mhz boost clock with a max power draw of 288w (card only). I will have another go at tweaking the voltage tomorrow but so far I am pretty pleased. No coil whine either.

Caporegime
The only problem with that case layout is its not great for cards with axial coolers. The silverstone fortress ft02 had the same layout and in the manual they had a gpu diagram showing that blower fans were preferred for the cases due to the vertical airflow working well with it pulling in air at the front and exhausting out the top. I'm guessing the axial fans might make the warm air circulate in the case more vs the blowers dumping it out the back immediately. Probably just increases temps by a few C.

bYcUmFV.png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The gpu is on a pci-e 4.0 riser and sits in a shroud so the only place for the hot air to go is straight out of the rear exhaust. You can see it a bit better in this picture.

znkdDHe.jpeg

The shroud was originally built to get the heat away from my M2 drives which were getting cooked so I built the shroud and it dropped temps of the M2 drives by 22 degrees C on the pci-e 4.0 drive and 16 degrees C on the pci-e 3.0 drive. I also discovered that with the graphics cars effectively sitting in a ditch between a 200mm intake fan0 and a 200mm exhaust fan that gpu temps dropped quite a bit.

Man of Honour
Got the power draw down to 228w with the odd peak of 252w so that's more or less where the 3070 was at while playing ETS2. Fps is pretty solid at 165, it's really smooth and looks great too. The card is now hitting 2425mhz boost. Temps are down to 62 degrees with a 72 degree C hotspot and fans are at 30% so I am happy now although I feel I can still probably shave a little more off the power draw. To show just how on the edge the 3070 was the game is now using 8438mb of vram and there's no terrain popping anymore. This is a cracking card.

Last edited:
Associate
Got the power draw down to 228w with the odd peak of 252w so that's more or less where the 3070 was at while playing ETS2. Fps is pretty solid at 165, it's really smooth and looks great too. The card is now hitting 2425mhz boost. Temps are down to 62 degrees with a 72 degree C hotspot and fans are at 30% so I am happy now although I feel I can still probably shave a little more off the power draw. To show just how on the edge the 3070 was the game is now using 8438mb of vram and there's no terrain popping anymore. This is a cracking card.
Have you overclocked it yet?

Associate

Chuffed to hear this! My Asrock Challenger version just got delivered! Can’t wait to get it installed

Associate
Yeah been giving a real blast over the last few days. Dead space, bf2042 and a few other games. Although my 6800 already had 16gb vram the 7900 has a lot more horsepower. So pleased I waited for these to drop.

Last edited:
Associate
What FPS were you getting on your 3070?

Man of Honour
Have you overclocked it yet?

No and I'm not going to either. The idea was to get the power draw down not increase it. The card is already exceeding it's stock boost of 2333mhz and is sustaining 2425mhz while remaining extremely quiet. I am also still finding my way around the Adrenaline software talking of which, why do they have Radeon Image Sharpening set to on as the default and at a whopping 80%? Games look terrible so I disabled it.

What FPS were you getting on your 3070?

In ETS2 average was 114fps and terrain popping was awful as it was using all of it's vram.

Associate
No and I'm not going to either. The idea was to get the power draw down not increase it. The card is already exceeding it's stock boost of 2333mhz and is sustaining 2425mhz while remaining extremely quiet. I am also still finding my way around the Adrenaline software talking of which, why do they have Radeon Image Sharpening set to on as the default and at a whopping 80%? Games look terrible so I disabled it.

In ETS2 average was 114fps and terrain popping was awful as it was using all of it's vram.
Great stuff, sounds like it was a worthy upgrade then.

Man of Honour
It was mainly for the vram but hitting my monitors max refresh rate for the first time is a welcome boost as well. The 3070 never came anywhere near it in most of my games. Yes it could have if I turned the details down but whats the point of a fancy 1440p monitor if the games don't look nice.

Associate
It was mainly for the vram but hitting my monitors max refresh rate for the first time is a welcome boost as well. The 3070 never came anywhere near it in most of my games. Yes it could have if I turned the details down but whats the point of a fancy 1440p monitor if the games don't look nice.
Is your GRE going to be a 5 year card?

Back
Top Bottom