• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX 7900 GRE as of 20/03/2024 - Not such a flawed product?

Associate
Thanks seems most are fairly silent. Unlike my red devil 5700xt which is stupid noisy. Now I need to decide whether to upgrade my CPU to 5800x3d or go all in and move to am5...

mine was quiet. The one thing I did notice is the cooler wasn't attached very good. I put washers mine then water cooled it.

Last edited:
Soldato

With our review drivers for the RX 7900 GRE, we had managed a memory overclock of 2316 MHz (18.5 Gbps GDDR6-effective); but with the new drivers, we scored a spectacular 2604 MHz (20 Gbps), which beats the 19.5 Gbps speed that the RX 7800 XT ships with.

The increased memory speed sees our 3DMark Time Spy GT1 overclocked frame rate jump from 72.6 FPS to 77.1 FPS (GPU frequency was constant between the two runs at 2803 MHz). This brings the card's total overclocking potential to an impressive 15% real-life performance gain.

Associate
This would bring the GRE within 5% performance of a stock 7900xt :D

Bargain of the year 2024 award goes to GRE

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've changed the title of the thread, as expected, it looks like clocking it above the RX 7800 XT boost and memory clocks yields some impressive results (I think 14.9% performance boost is probably at the upper end of what can be achieved or expected).

We still need to see a proper full review, but the overclocked 3D Mark scores are probably indicative.

Interesting that they can override the clock limits implemented in the VBIOS.

I'm in no doubt now that this GPU will exceed the 7800 XT in every title now, when overclocked sufficiently.

But at stock clocks, I think the card is starved for memory bandwidth.

Presumably you'll want a GRE with decent cooling...

Last edited:
Soldato
This would bring the GRE within 5% performance of a stock 7900xt :D

Bargain of the year 2024 award goes to GRE

Yep some good results there. I have a 7900 XT pulse and was getting 12% - 15% actual game performance increase through undervolting and tweaking. Though I ended up undervolting and going for lower power consumption at just over stock performance. The 7900 series are genuinely good GPUs at the new reduced prices.

Last edited:
Associate
Pleased I got my Nitro for £569 now. Really is a cracking card.

Just out of interest. I don't really want to overclock the card however I feel I should probably give the memory a bit of a boost given it was hamstrung to start with, what are stock 7800XT memory clocks ?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Pleased I got my Nitro for £569 now. Really is a cracking card.

Just out of interest. I don't really want to overclock the card however I feel I should probably give the memory a bit of a boost given it was hamstrung to start with, what are stock 7800XT memory clocks ?

2438 Mhz. Which should result in memory bandwidth of 624.1 GB/s.

Spec here:

A 2600 Mhz overclock would result in memory bandwidth of 665.6 GB/s.

As far as I can tell, the achievable memory clock depends on the type of memory chips installed on the card, people have been reporting mixed results.

Some cards have memory chips rated for 20 Gbps, presumably some will be 18 Gbps.

RX 7900 XT's are equipped with 20 Gbps memory chips, with a wider memory bus.

EDIT - Looking at the circuit board analysis section for each GRE review on Techpowerup, all the cards they reviewed had 20 Gbps memory chips.

In theory, that should mean they are capable of running at 2500 Mhz.

The only difference I notice, is that the IC chips (for GPU and memory voltage) are rated for 50A on some cards (instead of 70A). Like on the Steel Legend:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asrock-radeon-rx-7900-gre-steel-legend/4.html

Last edited:
Associate
2438 Mhz. Which should result in memory bandwidth of 624.1 GB/s.

Spec here:

A 2600 Mhz overclock would result in memory bandwidth of 665.6 GB/s.

As far as I can tell, the achievable memory clock depends on the type of memory chips installed on the card, people have been reporting mixed results.

Some cards have memory chips rated for 20 Gbps, presumably some will be 18 Gbps.

RX 7900 XT's are equipped with 20 Gbps memory chips, with a wider memory bus.

EDIT - Looking at the circuit board analysis section for each GRE review on Techpowerup, all the cards they reviewed had 20 Gbps memory chips.

In theory, that should mean they are capable of running at 2500 Mhz.

The only difference I notice, is that the IC chips (for GPU and memory voltage) are rated for 50A on some cards (instead of 70A). Like on the Steel Legend:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asrock-radeon-rx-7900-gre-steel-legend/4.html
Ok thanks, My Nitro seems to be Hynix with the board having IC chips rated at 70A so I have conservatively set the memory to 2400MHz and will see how it fairs. Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom