• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX 7900 GRE as of 20/03/2024 - Not such a flawed product?

Man of Honour
Is your GRE going to be a 5 year card?
Not a chance. I don't think I have ever had any component apart from a case and psu for more than three years.

What's the noise like on these cards? Im finally thinking about upgrading my 5700xt and maybe getting a 58003d as well. But want a relatively quiet card.
My Asrock Steel Legend is extremely quiet and has no coil whine. It does have a 200mm intake fan in front of it and another exhausting behind it so that helps a lot to keep temps and fan speed low. Below 50 degrees the fans shuts off.

Associate
Not a chance. I don't think I have ever had any component apart from a case and psu for more than three years.

My Asrock Steel Legend is extremely quiet and has no coil whine. It does have a 200mm intake fan in front of it and another exhausting behind it so that helps a lot to keep temps and fan speed low. Below 50 degrees the fans shuts off.
Agreed the cards lose too much value and become obsolete when it comes to AAA games so frame rates drop after 2-3 years. So the best time to sell and recoup at least 50% cost is 2 years and then sample the next gen. At my age (40s) keeping something for long means I can’t sample or enjoy the next thing and as we all know life is one direction and doesn’t slow down.

Man of Honour
I have got power draw down to below 200w peak now. I have been playing ETS2 for the past couple of hours and peak power draw ranged from 188w-198w. I am chuffed to bits with that plus it hasn't cost me any performance as it's still maintaining 165fps. Vram usage has now increased to 9428mb on one of the newer maps so the 3070 would have been way out of it's depth. I almost went for the 4070 super but I'm sure glad I didn't.

Associate
Thanks seems most are fairly silent. Unlike my red devil 5700xt which is stupid noisy. Now I need to decide whether to upgrade my CPU to 5800x3d or go all in and move to am5...

Man of Honour
Is it return to OCUK for 3 years or manufacturer?
OCUK, Asrock doesn't deal with the likes of we minions.

Btw @pastymuncher can you hear your gpu fans on gaming load?
Not at all, but don't forget my airflow set up is far from normal with the gpu sitting in a trough type shroud and a 200mm intake at one end and a 200mm exhaust at the other so it get's plenty of cool air and the hot air is dumped out of the case quickly. Going by what Afterburner records my gpu fans have not exceeded 35%.

Associate
OCUK, Asrock doesn't deal with the likes of we minions.

Not at all, but don't forget my airflow set up is far from normal with the gpu sitting in a trough type shroud and a 200mm intake at one end and a 200mm exhaust at the other so it get's plenty of cool air and the hot air is dumped out of the case quickly. Going by what Afterburner records my gpu fans have not exceeded 35%.
3 fan cards > 2 fan cards. My 7800xt is a tad noisy on load at 75% fans.

Soldato
OP
There was a new driver released a couple of days ago, that apparently solves the memory overclocking issues on the GRE:
  • The maximum memory tuning limit may be incorrectly reported on AMD Radeon™ RX 7900 GRE graphics products.
Link:

Anyone tried it yet?

Can it clock up to 2500 Mhz on the VRAM?

The RX 7800 XT stock memory clock is 2438 MHz, so anything above that should give good performance, in comparison.

Would be interesting to compare the RX 7900 GRE when running at the same clock speed and memory clock to the RX 7800 XT at stock settings:

Last edited:
Associate
Really tempted by these GREs. Seems a lot card for £509/£529 compared to recent prices these last few years.

Currently have a 6750xt so it's not a crazy jump but should be adding some decent frames and headroom.

The 4070 super just seems priced a bit higher and lacks behind in raster performance enough to strike it from the consideration process.

I also seem not to trust the 8800xt rumours as they just seem too good to be true and when was anything too good surrounding a new GPU release?

Associate
In the same boat with almost buying a rabbit ear card, although I must admit the 8800xt rumours have stopped me clicking on the buy button for now.
Currently I'm still running a vega, so either card is going to be a huge leap in performance. The rumoured increased RT performance and likely power efficiency improvements for next gen suggest waiting but then it might just be another RDNA2 > RDNA3 situation.
Some good feedback on the revised drivers and whether memory performance can be improved might be enough to sway me though.

Back
Top Bottom