• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best cpu for gaming

Soldato
if you run a 100w cpu at 50% for 8hr's a day it will cost you £26 a year to run that's the difference with a 7800x3d and 14900k
if you set the stock intel power limits, the difference in running the cpu's is about £1 a year, if you run the cpu at 200w power limit its about £22 a year

you guys are talking like it needs a second mortgage

to take this to a stupid level your "Samsung G7 240hz 1440p" will almost double the power of a 100Hz monitor, so why are you not running a 100hz monitor

Like I said overall package, and I only game so why would I choose the 14900k over the 7800x3d ? better socket support and its cheaper ? whats the alternative to get 4090 performance ?

Last edited:
Soldato
It's important to remember that the AM5 platform has longevity. Even as of 2024 AM4 is still receiving new CPUs and bios updates.

Can we say the same for the latest Intel platform?

Also what I like about Ryzen is that every core is of equal power. I don't like this e core p core stuff.

Soldato
OP
It's important to remember that the AM5 platform has longevity. Even as of 2024 AM4 is still receiving new CPUs and bios updates.
if you building a top line pc by the time its really time to replace it the socket should be dead. AM4 is a bit of a strange one as AMD still have a contract with TSMC to make chip thats the only reson

Also what I like about Ryzen is that every core is of equal power. I don't like this e core p core stuff.
8c vs 8c with extras i dont understand how the extras are bad?

Soldato
if you building a top line pc by the time its really time to replace it the socket should be dead. AM4 is a bit of a strange one as AMD still have a contract with TSMC to make chip thats the only reson

I would most likely sell the last CPU and do drop in CPU upgrade , but I wouldnt if say I was on intel and going from 13th gen to 14th gen for such small difference but would have from 12th gen to 13th or 14th

Soldato
OP
What are people expecting from the next ryzen cpu’s if you have x3d then you can’t upgrade to a none 3d chip so when the new ones come in say a year to 18 months what’s do we expect 10% or are we hoping for more ?

Let’s not forget intel are now working on stacked

Last edited:
Soldato
What are people expecting from the next ryzen cpu’s if you have x3d then you can’t upgrade to a none 3d chip so when the new ones come in say a year to 18 months what’s do we expect 10% or are we hoping for more ?

Let’s not forget intel are now working on stacked

who knows we wil have to wait and see, but if I was building now I would 100% going AMD always nice to have option with longer support maybe they'll go beyond zen 5 support on AM5 ? current intel socket is done

Caporegime
It is a tiny number of 13th and 14th gen CPUs which are crashing and mostly 13900/14900 at that and despite the talking of all boards having unlocked power limits it is almost exclusively a combination of CPUs with low stability margin and Asus motherboards where people are having problems (in most cases manually dialing in the Intel spec boost power limits fixes it and/or disabling boost optimisation presets which result in out of spec behaviour).

I'm a little bemused by the 7800X3D bandwagon personally as outside of purely gaming it really can be 1-2 generations behind Intel's nearest CPUs by price and most of the performance advantage is lost at resolutions above 1080p with high or ultra settings, the 7950X3D has a much better balance of performance but is quite a lot more expensive. If you've got similar systems side by side even application/game installs are noticeable slower on the 7800X3D than other options. Despite the headline power and heat figures of the Intel 13th and 14th gen in a mostly GPU bound gaming situation they aren't that terrible.

Thing which makes me most critical of Intel really is the joke PCI-e provisioning with limited number of PCI-e lanes and mediocre PCI-e 5.0 support.

EDIT: Also something a lot of reviews don't show - while the 7800X3D itself is around twice as power efficient or better at gaming whole system power consumption vs the 14700K is somewhere around 30% difference at 1080p and 20% at 4K, so not nearly as big a difference overall.

Roff, the 7800X3D is faster in games when you need it to be that, uses half the power, doesn't need a high end motherboard or cooling and costs near half as much as the 14900KS, £200 less than the 14900K.

For a gamer it the obvious choice not just because its faster than any Intel CPU for that job but its also serval 100 £ less to build up a rig around.

Soldato

We are enthusiasts. Some people upgrade with every generation.

I imagine there are some with 7800x3d cpu's looking to upgrade to the new 9800x3d when its released.

As for what do we expect, rumours suggest 40% increase.

Its a big advantage to buy one mobo and be able to keep slotting new cpu's in to it over the space of 5 years.

Look at me on AM4.

I bought a 1700x in 2017.

Then bought a 2700x, 3700x, 5600x and now the 5800x3d all on the same socket.

I did upgrade from a x370 mobo to a x570 mobo during that time, but according to the website for my mobo it wasn't strictly necessary as the 5800x3d is supported.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I did upgrade from a x370 mobo to a x570 mobo during that time, but according to the website for my mobo it wasn't strictly necessary as the 5800x3d is supported.

so when you decided to buy the x570 is was a dead socket. X570 came out for the 5000 chips and done. but you talk about socket lifespan

we all need to remember when AMD was going to kill off the first chip set but then had to offer bios updates due a to a technicality in the socket advertising.
AMD was going to keep the AM4 socket but kill them with different chipsets.

i had an X370 and 1700x and remember the kick off about them saying you neeed a new board for the next chips. was it 2XXX or 3XXX one of the two

Last edited:
Soldato
so when you decided to buy the x570 is was a dead socket. X570 came out for the 5000 chips and done. but you talk about socket lifespan

Dead socket?

The x570 came out in 2019 same year as the 3700x.

Since then we've seen the 5000 series.

So I have gone, 3700x -> 5600x -> 5800x3d on x570 and AMD are still releasing new cpus for AM4 with the 5700x3d etc..

Last edited:
Soldato
X370 was for the 1000 series Ryzens.. i skipped that gen and bought a 2700X with the X470 board in 2018 that i still use now.

Btw the X470 MSI Carbon Wifi i have was a cost of £169, those days are long gone :(

My CPU's have been 2700X > 3900X > 5700X > 5800X3D

6 years on the same board, this is the longest i have ever used the same mobo and i am absolutely loving it still.

Thinking about skipping 7000 series completely now and upgrade to the upcoming Ryzens later in the year but that depends on pricing.

For now the 7800X3D is a no-brainer, i am tempted but i think im too late into this gen for the upgrade, not knowing how much the perf increase will be i will probably have buyers remorse.

Anyways i only play DayZ these 'dayz' :p and i get over 200fps with my current system so im in no rush :)

Man of Honour

Actually not entirely true, obviously there is the complexity with the 7950X3D, etc. with the 3D cache on one CCD and not the other and some CPUs have a mixture of Zen 4 and Zen 4C cores.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You should read the thread title, OP was asking for 'best cpu for gaming' :)
you should also. the thread is done. when they popped up saying the 7800X3d is the best CPU in the world... its just not both the 7900x3d and 7950x3d and better and at everything other than gaming the 14700 and 14900 and way better.
but think you for joining in an augment days late that's already sorted

also at 1440 and 4k it actually an even spread, so depending on the games and res its really not that simple.
im about to sell my 7800x3d on the MM as its very good but not in my game/use case and i will switch back to my 7700x that as a faster core speed and the game i play like that over the extra cache

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom