Road Cycling

Soldato
I like loud wheels as I can use it like a bell!

In terms of hearing. Currently on 52/36 11-30. Pretty sure next bike I’ll go 50/34 11-34. I need all the help I can get up hills :p

fez

fez

Caporegime
I like loud wheels as I can use it like a bell!

In terms of hearing. Currently on 52/36 11-30. Pretty sure next bike I’ll go 50/34 11-34. I need all the help I can get up hills :p

You mad lad. I was on a 34/32 before I got di2 and went to 36/34 which gets me up any hill happily enough. Wouldn't want to have a 36/30 though. Thats for the strong boys.

My mate has a bit of an older bike with 34/28 I think. Horrible stuff.

Soldato
need to check what gears i got as i cant remember...from quick browse on internet i might have 50/34 and 30 at the back... so 34 would be easy ;)

EDIT : 52/36 and 11-30 is mine i think

Last edited:
Soldato
You mad lad. I was on a 34/32 before I got di2 and went to 36/34 which gets me up any hill happily enough. Wouldn't want to have a 36/30 though. Thats for the strong boys.

My mate has a bit of an older bike with 34/28 I think. Horrible stuff.

Deffo bought this bike with a whole heap of ignorance! I’d imagine 36/34 being quite nice really. Well, nice as it can be pushing up a hill!

I can’t imagine I’d be missing the 52/11 compared to a 50/11 all that much

Though saying that if I can only get a 52/36 at the time as long as I can get 11-34 I don’t think I’ll be too upset

Whenever that is. Going to be waiting a while for probate to be finished

Soldato
Playing with the dog friday night felt my back 'twinge'. Couldn't get comfortable sitting watching TV. Went to bed a few hours later pretty tender... Shifting position and trying to stretch out felt a 'crack'. Managed to get to sleep thinking "I hope that's sorted by the morning"... Nope! Have been rubbish all weekend - but progressively getting better (slowly) so skipped any further riding. Commuting this morning pretty carefully and can't look over my right shoulder, needing to stop and turn my whole body! So pretty slow going - but legs and back in riding position actually feel ok. Can't lift my right arm much above shoulder height. Damn old age...! :o

Got my Invisiframe kit during the week. Not fitted yet as need temperatures 16-18 degrees and our house is nowhere near that temp - never mind my garage where I'll be doing it! So a few odd jobs when I felt up to them sunday afternoon... Stripped off bar tape ready for bar swap (got a set of barely used Aerofly II on the way) and swapped my Zipps (now tyres have been on a few weeks to stretch out) back to Tubeless. Little things, but steps closer! :D

EDIT: good discussion on gearings. I quite early rode a 32t as I liked hills. LBS generally laughed at me preferring 50/34 and 11-32t saying it was too low, but I enjoyed it as not too fussed with riding fast downhill, like to spin but also like going uphill. These days most of the 11s bikes off the shelf come with the same! I rode 52/36t for a while (due to Powertap C1 chainring warranty replacement) and missed my 34 more than gained anything. Turbo bike is still on 50/34 but 11-28 and is fine... If anything I need that 52/36 to gain a bit of top end as that's the only place I hit the top of the block on non-downhill. Outdoors I'll regularly be sitting and spinning up climbs while those in my club are stood grinding their standards with 28t, still having my 32t available... While not many of them can out-sprint me!

Actually switched to 11-34t when I went to di2 and love it even more! As Steve notes the gearing is even more climbing-centric than 32t. My new 12s setup comes with 50/34 & 11-34t as standard without the LBS looking at me strangely. Weird how opinion changes... Or their general customer base I guess - everyone buying a nice new bike is old & slow! :D

Guilty. I find I can’t ever see routes you post on the web app.
Ahhh, makes sense & added! No problem, get so many random requests I try to track where people come from. Actually thought I'd got my profile set to publicly viewable will check it now... :o

Wow, a roadie thread on a PC overclocking forum. I think I just had a wet dream...
Welcome! Have to admit my overclocking these days is only limited to my riding/training and not computers...!

Kinda the 2014 stage 1 TDF route with some tweaks.
I think my changes where Garmin connect did the auto routing, is where it tried to take trails, canal paths and even through a churches grounds...

I got fairly ****** off around Harrogate on the way home.
Awful road surface, loads of ****** drivers doing close passes and lots of of little climbs.
Mega route & ride mate well done. Scenery/pics look superb and remind me of so much of some roads around 'home' (mid-wales & west especially). Glorious!

Funny to hear Garmin routing still does stuff like that. I hadn't thought much of it since my switch to Wahoo, not that I use routing much anymore to really compare/judge.

On an unrelated note, I replaced my Zipp 303s with some deeper section 50mm rims and the carbon wheel whoosh is even better! I'm addicted. Perhaps I need to go to 80mm! Also, the Zipp hubs are so ******* ****. The new Shimano C50s run far more smoothly than the Zipps.
I found the unbranded/noname bearings my Zipps (30 Course & 303 S) came with pretty 'meh' (76D hubs?). Pretty draggy. Usual maintenance has seen them replaced with NTN/similar quality and they're noticeably better and roll smoother/faster.

Hmm, if you choose not to do them :cry: I think one of the most brutal climbs I can remember was in Girona.

But no, you're right, on the whole, it isn't too bad.
Doesn't look bad... Only 1 bit at 20% -ish and nothing over, but guess it's the distance which is brutal! Then look at the top of that leaderboard, wow! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Doesn't look bad... Only 1 bit at 20% -ish and nothing over, but guess it's the distance which is brutal!
Yes, an average over 14% for almost a mile is plenty when you weigh 100kg, trust me... Granted, I was in the 'slow group', but I was the only one that didn't walk up it! I was waiting about 15 minutes for them at the top :cry:

fez

fez

Caporegime
I found the unbranded/noname bearings my Zipps (30 Course & 303 S) came with pretty 'meh' (76D hubs?). Pretty draggy. Usual maintenance has seen them replaced with NTN/similar quality and they're noticeably better and roll smoother/faster.

Sadly I think its just a tolerances issue or manufacturing. If I leave the thru axle relatively loose they spin really nicely. Torque them up to anywhere near 11nm and they are really draggy. I don't think its the bearings. At least 1 of the bearings has been replaced with a high quality SKF one, perhaps both at this point.

The experience when I spoke to zipp about their awful sealing and water ingress left a very sour taste in my mouth as well.

Soldato
Anyone doing the Dragon Ride this year? https://www.dragonride.co.uk/event-info/our-routes/

Faffed around and not booked, but did intend to drum up a group to do it but too short notice now. May do a last minute entry if I can find someone to ride with and somewhere to dump the car. Got a guy from near Bridgend who rode with the club 2 summers ago while on holiday who is a possibility...

My partners brother tried to rope me into it this year, he did it last year and said it was great. I'll be giving it a go next year for sure.

Soldato
On the subject of gearing, it seems clear i'm the resident weakling with a 48/35 and 10-36 :p

Weakling or wise? :p

think I've overdone it the last 24 hours. 90 minutes endurance yesterday followed by an hour of Badminton and another hour of Vo2 Max this morning.

The two cycling parts in and of themselves aren't that bad but my lord having barely had a chance to play any badminton the last couple of years my groin is in pieces.

Soldato
Started back in July first proper ride was

lhml95W.png

Just rode it again this weekend :)

73GkIHr.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom