*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Soldato
when i see in vairious places that some people struggle with walking 10k steps its makes my job the only thing im thankfull of from that place, a night in work plus dog walking... already today from mid night untill now from work and 1 dog walk im upto 17k steps, times hes had another 2 walks and nipping to the shops later, itll top 20k, plus what ever cardio i do in the gym

Yeah that's great. I generally hover around 3k steps a day unless consciously making the effort to go for a walk

Soldato
Yeah that's great. I generally hover around 3k steps a day unless consciously making the effort to go for a walk
That's one walk for me, I'm currently doing three of those a day, on top of my other steps. A while back I did a month of 30k a day, that was time consuming...
I'm probably hitting between 15-20k steps a day, I find it a brilliant, and very easy exercise.

Soldato
That's one walk for me, I'm currently doing three of those a day, on top of my other steps. A while back I did a month of 30k a day, that was time consuming...
I'm probably hitting between 15-20k steps a day, I find it a brilliant, and very easy exercise.

Yeah i think if you have the time it works great. I miss the glory days when this was possible :(

Ke90Sh1.png

Soldato
tricept work out , 45 mins on cross trainer and 7 mins walkin on treadmill will do for today, go back in the morning for some more cardio and a legs session. ive flat lined since xmas till now, im looking at the possative tho that i havnt put any weight back on so in theory ive not taken any steps back which is keeping my spirits up, still happy with the 3 - 4 stone i lost from april last yeat till xmas.

something ive started doing is making my own burgers with 5% fat mince, diced oion , salt , pepper , garlic powder , onion powder. basic but i will make 2 decent sized burgers and have them with some veg and a tin of mixed taco beans in sauce which are only around 300 cals for a full tin

Last edited:
Caporegime
I hit about 4500 steps by the time I get to the office, I've come back home now after sitting at the desk at work (besides going to the loo and make coffee a couple of times), I am at 9500 steps.

If I drive to work then I would be at like 2-3000 steps per day, these days I would hit 12k everyday if I go out after dinner for a walk.

Soldato
Holiday starts today and diet is already out the window.

Dim sum, some flat noodles for breakfast. Curry for lunch with a gin and tonic….had 2 cappuccinos at the lounge at the airport! Lol

1200 calories easy and it’s only lunchtime

Enjoy your holiday! Make a few sensible choices when you’re away if you can… if not, make more sensible choices and continue your great progress when you’re back.

Soldato
Holiday starts today and diet is already out the window.

Dim sum, some flat noodles for breakfast. Curry for lunch with a gin and tonic….had 2 cappuccinos at the lounge at the airport! Lol

1200 calories easy and it’s only lunchtime

Was close to taking a photo for you, but saw a Japanese vending machine (well 3 of) outside a shopping centre here on Saturday. Had some typical weird Japanese sweets etc, but also had tubs of noodles which seemed weird for a vending machine!

Also i've found an addiction to Mochi :D

Soldato
Weigh-in day, and despite last weekend's hilarious diversion, I managed to drag the rest of the week back on track.

I've lost another 2lbs, bringing my weight down to 13st 7lbs, which is exactly 1st lost in nearly 2 months to the day, and brings me down to my goal weight.

I'm away this weekend with the in-laws, and they have a love of CostCo and all the cakes / sweets / chocolates that they sell, so I anticipate this weekend being a challenge, so am having another lean day today before we drive down to Devon and inevitably eat whatever's going, which is fine for a bank holiday weekend. After that I'll drag it back on track for the last half of the week.

Pleased with the results, but still got an itch in the back of my mind that's worrying about how I can sustainably maintain this weight without constant fine-tuning.

My usual breakfast is 60g porridge oats with 220ml semi skimmed, a blob of honey, and a few raspberries / blueberries on top.
To help lose the last 2lbs of weight, I've switched for the last few days to 2 weetabix with a bit of hot water out the kettle to soften them up, then adding the milk afterwards. It's meant going from 220ml to 50ml milk, and I feel like I could easily re-add the fruit and honey and not miss out too much, though I haven't felt the need yet. It creates quite a few extra calories that I can use during the day when I need a snack / pick-me-up.

Soldato
@Karl - Nice work! I substituted dairy for almond in my porridge a while back. Easily the most calorie efficient way of making it without sacrificing all flavour. I’ve since switched back to skimmed milk (more protein). Frozen summer fruits also a staple here. They’re calorie light too. Ditch the honey if you can. If you’re worried about calories, make porridge with less milk!

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers mate. I'm not too dependent on the honey, would still have it in the porridge to counter the sourness of the raspberries (I use frozen ones as well), but wouldn't bother having it on the Weetabix.

I tried making porridge with water, but I couldn't stand the taste. Weirdly fine with Weetabix though. I find if I don't use 220ml milk -> 60g of porridge, the oats don't go fluffy enough, and it dries out. I could try adding ratios next, maybe 100ml water to 120ml milk, see what happens. :confused:

Soldato
OP
I substituted dairy for almond in my porridge a while back. Easily the most calorie efficient way of making it without sacrificing all flavour. I’ve since switched back to skimmed milk (more protein).
I did the same initially. Almond is fine once you get used to it. More recently I bought two milk jugs and I make up a half almond/half semi skimmed and also a half oat/half almond jug. I then use the almond/oat for coffee and almond/semi for porridge and cereals. Kind of a compromise I guess.

Last edited:
Soldato
What’s the reasoning behind the milk substitutes, lactose intolerance or the calories?
65g oats with 200ml semi skimmed milk (the ratio I use for breakfast) is 340 calories. Add in a bunch of raspberries, blueberries etc and you’ve got a comfortably sub 400 cal breakfast that’s tasty and filling. I wouldn’t be substituting for the sake of the 96 calories that the milk brings

Soldato
What’s the reasoning behind the milk substitutes, lactose intolerance or the calories?
65g oats with 200ml semi skimmed milk (the ratio I use for breakfast) is 340 calories. Add in a bunch of raspberries, blueberries etc and you’ve got a comfortably sub 400 cal breakfast that’s tasty and filling. I wouldn’t be substituting for the sake of the 96 calories that the milk brings

Initially I substituted due to CMPA. Then for calories (I have 80g oats). I agree it’s marginal gains, but you can do a lot with 100 calories, and over the week it’s not insignificant.

Edit - even with almond milk over skimmed milk I’d be saving 300 calories over a 5 day working week. Which is pretty much a whole tub of this:

Edit 2 - I’ve got some almond milk in the cupboard. The ecological damage is already done and there’s no point wasting it!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
65g oats with 200ml semi skimmed milk (the ratio I use for breakfast) is 340 calories
It's been answered, but just to add I used milk a lot. Porridge, 5 or 6 coffees a day and a bowl of cereal before bed. Probably... 500ml a day. All of a sudden that's around a 200 cal saving a day. Then do that across the week and we're over a 1,000 cals saved. As I said, I now do a half and half for a nice taste, but still 700 cals a week saved.

Back
Top Bottom