Malaysian Grand Prix 2011, Sepang International Circuit - Race 2/19

Soldato
It's rubbish on iPad and site one is flash so doesn't work. Which is why I'm so tempted but £20 is rediculuse.

See the live track position would be great when you have a rubbish director.

I bought it start of the season its pretty good, tells you all the sector times etc and as has been said positions of drivers on the track.

Also it lets you know about 4 seconds ahead of TV whos got pole etc etc which is pretty cool. Lot of money but over season just about worth it I reckon :o

Caporegime
It'll be interesting to see whether DRS will assist Hamilton in passing Vettel tomorrow, if he's unable to then it's safe to say the DRS 'zone' is pretty pants.

Soldato
I think the McLaren's will do very well tomorrow.

If you look at the sector times the top 4 all posted identical sector 1 times, the rest of the sectors remain close resulting in 3 tenths between P1 and P4.

McLaren seemed to get more life out of their tyres than RBR in Melbourne, Sepang should prove to have much higher tyre wear. Also McLaren are running more rear wing than than RBR which will limit the effect of DRS but may well help in the likely event of rain.

General question - doesnt "more" rear wing mean its more vertical/pushing down more, which means DRS effect would surely increase rather than decrease (as DRS allows better slipstream/easier for air to pass through - bigger differential if you will)

Monza would be nigh on horizontal and least rear wing (for top most speed)

edit - ok I have caught up with the answer thank you , while I get your point that it wont be double the effect - the fact that McLaren have got their sset up to work today means that RB & them are give or take equal. Which to my mind (with the wings set up taken into effect) IF DRS is actually working better than Melbourne - during the race - McLaren SHOULD be able to overtake RB slightly easier than the other way round (ie McLaren get a slightly better DRS effect off being behind a RB, than RB being behind a McLaren, because RB's wing is smaller will therefore give them less bonus effect)

edit - it may well be marginal, or even just theoretical without happening in practice - Im just suggesting that this could be the case tomorrow ........if RB dont run away and hide in race trim , but I hope not lol

Last edited:
Soldato
It'll be interesting to see whether DRS will assist Hamilton in passing Vettel tomorrow, if he's unable to then it's safe to say the DRS 'zone' is pretty pants.

DRS is not a push-to-pass button. If DRS ever became a push-to-pass button, then it would not be at all good for F1. Even when DRS is used, the driver behind must use skill to make the overtake.

The DRS button worked as planned, in Australia and merely allowed the driver behind to move into an overtaking position. The difficult job over implementing the overtake and then out braking the car in front at the next corner, still requires a great deal of skill.

Soldato
'morning all. Being a lazy student I CBA to get up this morning (busy lobbing fire extinguishers at police & trashing Fortnum's y0! ;)) so I missed Qually :(.

Anyone know if/when Qually is being repeated?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7755219.stm says "Qualifying: 0800-1030, BBC One/BBC Radio 5 live/online..... Qualifying repeat: 1300-1415, BBC One" but the main listings http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcone/programmes/schedules/south_west has "13:00–17:10 Racing from Aintree" :confused:. Bit of a contradiction!

Would be a bit odd to have the repeat of Qually on BBC One instead of the Racing, but I can't see the Qually repeat listed for BBC Two either...

Someone from the BBC must be reading this!

Since I posted http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7755219.stm has been changed and only says "Qualifying: 0800-1030, BBC One/BBC Radio 5 live/online"... the qualifying repeat has been removed!
That answers my question though :).

Soldato
With McLaren not able to use DRS on all the lap tomorrow. Will the fact they are running more rear wing play a decent part in tomorrow?

Im sure everyone was using it as much as possible today

I would suggest it probably balances out give or take - maybe only a slight advantage one way or another, but given that both teams being so close - defensive driving for a few laps will probably give away more time than any individual car setup can gain outright

Even with Vettel ahead into the first bend (or IF) being so close he mght be pressured into a mistake , and even a tiny one could make a huge difference

Soldato
If it does rain, More DF will help also surely?

Gonna be a interesting one :)

but imo the RB is more thoroughly tested in the rain due to it being (to my mind anyway) a much less radical change from last season

Im wondering if the McLaren can get as much out of their car in the wet ( even if it does rain, remember before quali people were expecting a little bit of rain near the end which never appeared) - hopefully isnt but I wouldnt bet against a totally dry race

Man of Honour
Speed trap readings.

29y47dk.png

Caporegime
So looking at that you might think Jenson is running a lot less wing than Hamilton. If so the lack of full lap DRS won't be as much of a concern as Hamilton who is running a higher DF set up??

Soldato
To be fair, the performance gap between the top 4 cars is so small, any small errors (which are all part and parcel of race laps), will be costing the driver more time than the performance of the cars themselves.

Gentleman, tomorrow's race is probably one of the most open GPs in recent months. Vettel (Based on qualifying times), will not be time trialling tomorrow and will be in a genuine race against 3 other cars...most notably Hamilton.

If it's a dry race, it should be exciting. If it's a wet race it will be even better. I think tomorrow's race is going to be fantastic!!!

Soldato
only just watched quali, how have mclaren closed the gap so much.

hamilton only a 1/10 behind vettel. mclaren have faster race pace so it should be close tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom