Sky Fibre Optic

Associate
Yep had it now 2 months and shows the below;

Just a very poor show. Had Talk Talk full 80Mbps saw the full speed via WiFi and Ethernet using Wireless N equipment.

Dont get it, wish I never moved over.

you are getting what you paid for unless you opt for pro? 40/10 profile, this is why I dont think sky is good value for money for fiber as plusnet are £15 for the same profile.

If you are benchmarking then I'd never trust that as it tells lies & its best to use a server like MS and download a test file & see what your speed is that way. When fiber becomes available for me I do hope sky lower the price as I will be off to plusnet for the obvious savings.

Permabanned
you are getting what you paid for unless you opt for pro? 40/10 profile, this is why I dont think sky is good value for money for fiber as plusnet are £15 for the same profile.

If you are benchmarking then I'd never trust that as it tells lies & its best to use a server like MS and download a test file & see what your speed is that way. When fiber becomes available for me I do hope sky lower the price as I will be off to plusnet for the obvious savings.

But I am not getting what I pay for? I know im on the 40/10 profile and I pay £8. I am getting no more than 25 no matter what I use, WiFi and Ethernet, speed tests and direct file downloads show this. I can transfer files over the network fine and the speeds are good in this regard so I know the router is good albeit very poor signal strengh.

Point is I know my line is good for 80/20 as I got with Talk Talk and it was rock solid, saw the full speed with speed tests and direct file downloads.

The Sky 40/10 package I am on is not what I am paying for and getting, much better than ADSL2+ but not the Fibre speeds I expected from Sky. NEVER had any issues with the so called sub par provider that is Talk Talk.

Just not happy that I have gone from 80/20 to 25/10 when I expected the full Sky speeds they quote, my line is good so no idea what to do.

Soldato
But I am not getting what I pay for? I know im on the 40/10 profile and I pay £8. I am getting no more than 25 no matter what I use, WiFi and Ethernet, speed tests and direct file downloads show this. I can transfer files over the network fine and the speeds are good in this regard so I know the router is good albeit very poor signal strengh.

Point is I know my line is good for 80/20 as I got with Talk Talk and it was rock solid, saw the full speed with speed tests and direct file downloads.

The Sky 40/10 package I am on is not what I am paying for and getting, much better than ADSL2+ but not the Fibre speeds I expected from Sky. NEVER had any issues with the so called sub par provider that is Talk Talk.

Just not happy that I have gone from 80/20 to 25/10 when I expected the full Sky speeds they quote, my line is good so no idea what to do.

So are you paying for Fibre Pro? or just fibre? Can you screenshot download speeds and speedtest?

You should be seeing, what 3-4MB/s? on downloads.

Man of Honour
Line to the house is dead, upto 72hrs to fix. :(
First guy was Indian, thank God he just there to transfer you to the right place. The real person was American thank god, could actually understand him.

alx

alx

Soldato
Soldato
The SR101 doesn't have a VDSL modem in required for Fibre, so Sky will send you the new SR102.

In order to use your Asus, you'll need to pick up an Openreach modem for cheap (such as the Huawei HG612) and use Wireshark to extract the details from the new hub, as these are different to those for ADSL, which I'm guessing you might have if you have a spare SR101? :p

There are a fair few guides on Skyuser, so you're bound to find a way through the fourm. :)

Soldato
If you just want the better wireless you can configure the N55U to act as a wireless access point and leave the SR102 to do everything else.

The article you linked appears to show the steps required (the most important is disabling DHCP). You may find that it's available as a configuration option which would save doing it manually.

alx

alx

Soldato
Cheers for the info guys.

Sorry that was a typo, I meant to say SR102 (referring to the hub sky will send me).

I'll try what bremen1874 says, if that isn't suitable then I'll look at getting a cheap openreach modem :).

Soldato
Just had similar ^^ with the switch from VM to Sky, and wanting to use my AC68U.....now all happily up and running, with the SR102 acting as a router and then also my AC68U acting as a router/media server/torrent repository and so on.
I achieved this by throwing the AC68U into the SR102's DMZ, and that was pretty much that.

Soldato
cee68e54de6247cb57166ba4007f7e53-15-07-2014.png

It is rather awesome :(

Associate
Strange one this, I'm on sky fiber 80/20 package!

Bought myself the new Asus RT-AC68u router, now I managed to connected via the BT-openreach modem and got the connection working and was getting around 50mb, now I have connected the sky hub sr102 version VDSL, And have that connected to my Asus. and I'm getting 60mb so i've gained 10mb even though I'm synced at 65mb.

Any ideas? where I was loosing 10mb ? bare in mind the BT-openreach modem is now disconnected....

Sky sr102VDSL --WAN- Asus RT-68u - Ethernet - PC

Back
Top Bottom