Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Hardware > Graphics Cards

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 14th Nov 2014, 02:39   #61
humbug
Capodecina
 
humbug's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 19,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by triss View Post
Actually iirc it wasn't AMD that came up with the name at all, Was a user/reviewer on twitter or something?
Anyone remember this properly?
Anand, they dubbed it "Free-Sync", that just stuck, it will not be called that once released.

humbug is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 02:41   #62
shankly1985
Capodecina
 
shankly1985's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: The KOP
Posts: 13,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by triss View Post
Actually iirc it wasn't AMD that came up with the name at all, Was a user/reviewer on twitter or something?
Anyone remember this properly?
No it was AMD that came with Project FreeSync! Manufactures will be using the Adaptive-sync Name I believe.

But am so Poor I might not be able to buy one


My Setup - http://goo.gl/nDxJMN "YNWA"
Last edited by shankly1985; 14th Nov 2014 at 02:44.
shankly1985 is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 02:42   #63
Rusty0611
Capodecina
 
Rusty0611's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Peterborough
Posts: 14,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankly1985 View Post
Once again I'll say this. Freesync name is because manufacturers don't after pay a single penny to use this technology. Unlike Gsync manufacturer after pay a premium to Nvidia to use that technology.

Now do you understand the naming?

Poor man? Lol so people who use amd are poor? Go away.
Wow way to misinterpret the poor mans phrase.

PS4 :/
Rusty0611 is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 02:46   #64
shankly1985
Capodecina
 
shankly1985's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: The KOP
Posts: 13,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty0611 View Post
Wow way to misinterpret the poor mans phrase.
GoAway! Dont try and twist things with me Rusty. I'll say this once to you and thats me done. No time for you!

They no other way to take it.. He said AMD is the Poor Mans options meaning you to poor to afford Nvidia LOL


My Setup - http://goo.gl/nDxJMN "YNWA"
shankly1985 is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 02:51
Rusty0611
This message has been deleted by Baddass. Reason: no personal insults
Old 14th Nov 2014, 02:56   #65
shankly1985
Capodecina
 
shankly1985's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: The KOP
Posts: 13,944
<snip>


I don't give two! about Urban Dictionary.. I read it as I read it.

Deal with it!


My Setup - http://goo.gl/nDxJMN "YNWA"
shankly1985 is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 02:57   #66
triss
Wise Guy
 
triss's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug View Post
Anand, they dubbed it "Free-Sync", that just stuck, it will not be called that once released.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankly1985 View Post
No it was AMD that came with Project FreeSync! Manufactures will be using the Adaptive-sync Name I believe.

But am so Poor I might not be able to buy one
Only one of you can be right
I'm with Humbug on this one because i am pretty sure it wasnt AMD they just went with the flow
triss is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 03:00   #67
shankly1985
Capodecina
 
shankly1985's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: The KOP
Posts: 13,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by triss View Post
Only one of you can be right
I'm with Humbug on this one because i am pretty sure it wasnt AMD they just went with the flow
Go back to day one of its first showing on a Laptop am very sure it was FreeSync.

Maybe am wrong! but am very sure am correct.


My Setup - http://goo.gl/nDxJMN "YNWA"
shankly1985 is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 03:01   #68
Final8y
Capodecina
 
Final8y's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: London, Ealing
Posts: 12,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty0611 View Post
snip
Yes that is the definition, but its called a poor mans because it all adds to being cheaper to the consumer
You can get everything in that definition that costs the same as the original and does not get the poor mans tag, they say it as what it is a knock-off, a copy .

I have heard that Bentley is a poor mans RollsRoyce many times.

A-sync and neither Bentley are copies or knockoffs.

And as far as similar, thousands of products are similar to each other and not considered a poor mans alternative.


AX1500i+AX1200 PSU,3x290, FX9590@5142Mhz, 4960x1600PLP NEC
Last edited by Final8y; 14th Nov 2014 at 03:42.
Final8y is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 03:02   #69
Rusty0611
Capodecina
 
Rusty0611's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Peterborough
Posts: 14,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankly1985 View Post
I don't give two! about Urban Dictionary.. I read it as I read it.

Deal with it!
Yes but you read it wrongly hence my interjection.

It's not even about Urban Dictionary - that's simply what the phrase means. It's nothing to do with money or affordability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Final8y View Post
Yes that is the definition, but its called a poor mans because it all adds to being cheaper to the consumer
That isn't implicit within the phrase. And it wasn't within what the guy said originally. I get your point but Shankly is wittering on about affordability which certainly isn't anything to do with the poor mans phrase.

Edit: of course taken literally it infers that but the phrase to me is always used in a different context.

Alas I digress from the thread...

PS4 :/
Last edited by Rusty0611; 14th Nov 2014 at 03:07.
Rusty0611 is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 03:10   #70
triss
Wise Guy
 
triss's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankly1985 View Post
Go back to day one of its first showing on a Laptop am very sure it was FreeSync.

Maybe am wrong! but am very sure am correct.
You could be right, I was just something i thought i remembered
triss is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 03:17   #71
Final8y
Capodecina
 
Final8y's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: London, Ealing
Posts: 12,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty0611 View Post
Yes but you read it wrongly hence my interjection.

It's not even about Urban Dictionary - that's simply what the phrase means. It's nothing to do with money or affordability.



That isn't implicit within the phrase. And it wasn't within what the guy said originally. I get your point but Shankly is wittering on about affordability which certainly isn't anything to do with the poor mans phrase.

Edit: of course taken literally it infers that but the phrase to me is always used in a different context.

Alas I digress from the thread...
It really does not matter when there are comments that blatantly say you are only against etcetera or putting etcetera down because you can't afford it. AMD is the budget brand AMD is this and that and it must be better because it costs more mentality when it has not even been seen yet.

People just seem to hate that others may get something just as good for cheaper so must put it the other down in someway to justify them paying more for it.


AX1500i+AX1200 PSU,3x290, FX9590@5142Mhz, 4960x1600PLP NEC
Last edited by Final8y; 14th Nov 2014 at 03:35.
Final8y is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 04:06   #72
shankly1985
Capodecina
 
shankly1985's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: The KOP
Posts: 13,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by triss View Post
You could be right, I was just something i thought i remembered
HumBug could very well be correct.. I found this link this is when we first seen FreeSync announced.. They is no name from AMD only this site calling it FreeSync..

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7641/a...ve-at-ces-2014

I was thinking of this Demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHNIo-1NJzc


My Setup - http://goo.gl/nDxJMN "YNWA"
shankly1985 is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 07:37   #73
Rofflay
Mobster
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: N Ireland
Posts: 3,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankly1985 View Post
I don't give two! about Urban Dictionary.. I read it as I read it.

Deal with it!

Well i never implied it also just so you know. But AMD normally do inferior versions of products and that is me speaking from experience not brand loyalty because i have none to no one. And what im trying to say is G-Sync is the same you get what you pay for, And im willing to bet on it.


And about the freesync naming, It aint about the cost! It is about all those months AMD spent crying and moaning on forums about the GSync cost as if they had a free versions ready to go. It has been so long people have forgot about how much they dissed it. And in the end only 100 bucks shaved off on thier version?
Rofflay is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 07:40   #74
Rusty0611
Capodecina
 
Rusty0611's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Peterborough
Posts: 14,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Final8y View Post
It really does not matter when there are comments that blatantly say you are only against etcetera or putting etcetera down because you can't afford it. AMD is the budget brand AMD is this and that and it must be better because it costs more mentality when it has not even been seen yet.
But that isn't what was said? So I think it does matter.

If anybody says those things you state then they've lost their marbles but none of those are implicit within the phrase "poor mans" in the context it was used.

PS4 :/
Rusty0611 is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 07:45   #75
Stanners
Underboss
 
Stanners's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Leeds
Posts: 3,120
I would not bother rusty, everyone knows what it means in the context said. He is just trying to play the victim as if not he would just accept what you explained.
Stanners is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 07:58   #76
Final8y
Capodecina
 
Final8y's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: London, Ealing
Posts: 12,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty0611 View Post
But that isn't what was said? So I think it does matter.

If anybody says those things you state then they've lost their marbles but none of those are implicit within the phrase "poor mans" in the context it was used.
First its not a copy its a standard and second if its inferior remains to be seen, but he has not got one to test so what is he going on, oh its going to be cheaper/price so it must be worse, because if it was going to cost more he would not be using the term at all, because the price is the only thing he has to go on atm.


AX1500i+AX1200 PSU,3x290, FX9590@5142Mhz, 4960x1600PLP NEC
Final8y is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 08:07   #77
Panos
Wise Guy
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: NE Lincolnshire
Posts: 1,919
Lets hope we going to see either 4K or 3440x1440 with freesync before having an endless stream of 1920x1080/2560x1440 for few months.

I am sick with my Benq2410 where there is no such thing as black

Panos is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 08:52   #78
Rusty0611
Capodecina
 
Rusty0611's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Peterborough
Posts: 14,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Final8y View Post
First its not a copy its a standard and second if its inferior remains to be seen, but he has not got one to test so what is he going on, oh its going to be cheaper/price so it must be worse, because if it was going to cost more he would not be using the term at all, because the price is the only thing he has to go on atm.
Firstly, be clear that I'm not backing up the reasons behind the use of the term. I'm merely stating what it actually means. So I have no idea what the first bit of your post is about.

Secondly, it appears you don't understand the context of the phrase either. Never mind we'll just leave it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanners View Post
I would not bother rusty, everyone knows what it means in the context said. He is just trying to play the victim as if not he would just accept what you explained.
It appears so. I'll avoid the banging of my head against the wall with this one.

PS4 :/
Last edited by Rusty0611; 14th Nov 2014 at 08:54.
Rusty0611 is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 08:57   #79
tommybhoy
Capodecina
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Under The Stairs!
Posts: 10,263
No ones interested, back on topic.


-tommybhoy-
tommybhoy is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 09:03   #80
Final8y
Capodecina
 
Final8y's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: London, Ealing
Posts: 12,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty0611 View Post
Firstly, be clear that I'm not backing up the reasons behind the use of the term. I'm merely stating what it actually means. So I have no idea what the first bit of your post is about.

Secondly, it appears you don't understand the context of the phrase either. Never mind we'll just leave it at that.
.
I understand the context the problem is the facts are not there to back the context up as the product is not out yet and if such term is applied so liberally then you can say that about any product that is offered by multiple brands and tiers when ever it suits us.


AX1500i+AX1200 PSU,3x290, FX9590@5142Mhz, 4960x1600PLP NEC
Last edited by Final8y; 14th Nov 2014 at 09:28.
Final8y is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 09:07   #81
Final8y
Capodecina
 
Final8y's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: London, Ealing
Posts: 12,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommybhoy View Post
No ones interested, back on topic.
Im done.


AX1500i+AX1200 PSU,3x290, FX9590@5142Mhz, 4960x1600PLP NEC
Final8y is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 09:47   #82
rtho782
Wise Guy
 
rtho782's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 1,136
Eh, competition is good, should bring down the price of GSync as well. I'd like to see how good it is, I'm obviously not as clever as AMD's engineers but it seems that fiddling with the displayport protocol is unlikely to produce equivalent results to an FPGA with 1GB Ram, but I'd be happy to stand corrected.

If we see 500 RoG swifts after this, I might buy two more

| i7 4790k @4.4GHz | Corsair H80i | Corsair AX1500i | NZXT Noctis 450 |
| 2x GTX 980 SLI eVGA SC Bios 1400/2000 | RoG Swift + 3007WFP-HC |
| Gigabyte z97 Gaming 3 | 32GB Kingston HyperX 2133 11-13-13 |
| Samsung 850 EVO 1TB | 2x Samsung 830 256GB RAID0 | 3xWD Black 4TB RAID0 |
rtho782 is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 11:23   #83
weldon855
Hitman
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: Ireland
Posts: 509
So its called freesync??

maybe ill go full retard and expect AMD to ship me a new FREESYNC monitor because after all its free?

Amd dont control the price of monitors. A 120Hz panel costs more than a 60Hz one for obvious reasons. But you pay more for New features.
Similarly 3d is free but nvidia 3d is not.

Is that even its official name anyway?

|i7-920@4.2gHz|h100i|
|Gigabyte-x58 mobo|
|12GB 1600MHz Mushkin CL7|
|Sapphire 290x |BF4 Edition Cardboard Box|
weldon855 is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 11:46   #84
pgi947
Capodecina
 
pgi947's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 15,800
Guys, I wouldn't dwell on pricing too much, if any cost is added, regardless of how much more or less that is vs gsync it should be entirely worth paying a bit more for.

This isn't just some minor feature, provided it a as good or better then gsync you're in for a treat.

The biggest gaming upgrade you're likely to make at the moment. It removes that thought of 'bugger, only hitting 50fps on this latest title, better buy a new card'

No Advertising?
pgi947 is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 11:49   #85
Gibbo
Commissario
 
Gibbo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: OcUK HQ
Posts: 22,067
Hi there

Spoke to LG.

Hoping to get 29" and 34" super-wide flat IPS panels early next year with FreeSync which shall be exclusive to OcUK in UK.

So IPS and Freesync, boooooooooooooooooom!

Gibbo is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 11:53   #86
Nexus18
Capodecina
 
Nexus18's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Nanda Parbat
Posts: 18,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Hi there

Spoke to LG.

Hoping to get 29" and 34" super-wide flat IPS panels early next year with FreeSync which shall be exclusive to OcUK in UK.

So IPS and Freesync, boooooooooooooooooom!
EXCELLENT NEWS! Once you go 21.9, there is no going back!

Any idea on the likes of DELL, AOC, Samsung 21.9/ultrawide freesync monitors?

Also, any idea on pricing?

And lastly, I presume the 29 and 34" monitors will have more or less the same specs as the current monitors?

TIA!

i5 750 @ 4GHz / MSI 290 / 8GB RAM / LG 29UM65
Reviews: LG 29UM65 / ASUS Essence STX II / Zowie FK1
Last edited by Nexus18; 14th Nov 2014 at 11:56.
Nexus18 is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 11:53   #87
Confused Stu
Wise Guy
 
Confused Stu's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Gillingham, Kent
Posts: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Hi there

Spoke to LG.

Hoping to get 29" and 34" super-wide flat IPS panels early next year with FreeSync which shall be exclusive to OcUK in UK.

So IPS and Freesync, boooooooooooooooooom!
Please don't Gibbo, I'm desperately trying to save myself for a 4K monitor with FreeSync, please don't start putting temptations in my path!

4790k | PH-TC12DX | Z97X Gaming 5 | 16GB HyperX Savage | R9 290 Crossfire Accelero Hybrid 2 | 4 x 24" 1080p Monitors | Raven RV03 | 250GB 840 PRO + 512GB MX100 | 2TB HDDs x2 (Games) | SST-ST1200-G Evolution | SoundBlaster Z | HyperX Cloud / R1600T | Osmium | G502
Confused Stu is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 11:55   #88
CAT-THE-FIFTH
Capodecina
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 12,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused Stu View Post
Please don't Gibbo, I'm desperately trying to save myself for a 4K monitor with FreeSync, please don't start putting temptations in my path!
LG make a 34" 4K monitor already - maybe its an update of that monitor??
CAT-THE-FIFTH is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 12:00   #89
rtho782
Wise Guy
 
rtho782's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Hi there

Spoke to LG.

Hoping to get 29" and 34" super-wide flat IPS panels early next year with FreeSync which shall be exclusive to OcUK in UK.

So IPS and Freesync, boooooooooooooooooom!
Wow, that's a coup. If only they were 120hz, but even at 60hz that's a massssssive win for OcUK and AMD. I hope nvidia impliment freesync now

I'm still skeptical of freesync until I've seen side by side reviews, AMD said HD3D was going to be as good as 3Dvision and that turned out a mess...

| i7 4790k @4.4GHz | Corsair H80i | Corsair AX1500i | NZXT Noctis 450 |
| 2x GTX 980 SLI eVGA SC Bios 1400/2000 | RoG Swift + 3007WFP-HC |
| Gigabyte z97 Gaming 3 | 32GB Kingston HyperX 2133 11-13-13 |
| Samsung 850 EVO 1TB | 2x Samsung 830 256GB RAID0 | 3xWD Black 4TB RAID0 |
rtho782 is offline   View trust for
Old 14th Nov 2014, 12:11   #90
shankly1985
Capodecina
 
shankly1985's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: The KOP
Posts: 13,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rofflay View Post
Well i never implied it also just so you know. But AMD normally do inferior versions of products and that is me speaking from experience not brand loyalty because i have none to no one. And what im trying to say is G-Sync is the same you get what you pay for, And im willing to bet on it.


And about the freesync naming, It aint about the cost! It is about all those months AMD spent crying and moaning on forums about the GSync cost as if they had a free versions ready to go. It has been so long people have forgot about how much they dissed it. And in the end only 100 bucks shaved off on thier version?
If you lucky enough to already own a Freesync enabled display then it will be a simple firmware update.
If we go by what we know on the bases of the spec sheet Freesync offer less overhead than Gsync and a much better refresh rate range.
What this all means we after wait and see, but a good start will be csgo and multi GPUs.
Why Multi-GPU? Well reading Gregster thread on nvidia shocking frame latency to date Gsync is also not doing very well. Lol so this much better tech you speak of is having issues as we speak.

And something that cost much more isn't always the best lol

A users wants to play pc 1080p 60fps you have two choices. He not interested in Mantle or Physx just performance. What build would you get him buying?
1. I7 4790K + 980 build
2. 8350 + 290x
Am going to bet you would have him over paying. For same performance.


My Setup - http://goo.gl/nDxJMN "YNWA"
shankly1985 is offline   View trust for
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:20.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Overclockers UK (Ocuk Ltd)