• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD : FreeSync Monitors Shipping in December – Will Cost $100 Less Than Nvidia G-Sync

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
30694_giphy.gif

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
How good would it be for 1440p 240hz ?? please make it happen on one of the slides it had Freesync supports upto 240hz..

1440p 240hz 24" but I have feeling it will be 27" :( less than £500 I'll be day one buying.

Caporegime
But AMD know that the monitors are $100 less than Gsync already. So this is aside from the fact that manufacturers will add on their markup.

You're presuming the price on the g-sync screen today is the price they are comparing it to......

The only sensible assumption to make is a monitor maker has said "this version will release in december, our G-sync version will be $xxx, our Freesync version will be $xxx-100".

As far as you know the screen is already only $100 more, but retailers are stamping an extra $50 on because they know Nvidia users will just pay whatever they are asked to without questioning it.

Caporegime
How good would it be for 1440p 240hz ?? please make it happen on one of the slides it had Freesync supports upto 240hz..

1440p 240hz 24" but I have feeling it will be 27" :( less than £500 I'll be day one buying.

I've been toying with the idea I might get a freesync screen, I'm still on TN 120hz panels because I was waiting for something good. I'm 100% unwilling to give up 120hz, even at 60fps the 120hz screen is so much smoother and for non games, simple things like text being less blurry when you scroll is much less straining on eyes(in the head of someone prone to migraines anything along those lines helps).

Ideally I'd been waiting for some stunning oled screen, be it 1600p or 4k, not too big, nice sharp resolution. Seems that is still too far off so might have to bump up to a 1440-1600p screen.

Thing is I would happily move up to 27-30" for a 4k screen, but 1440p in 27" sounds a bit rubbish to me. I'd prefer to see 1440/1600p at 24", 120+ hz and if possible IPS and I'd probably buy one.

Monitor industry is a god damned joke. 1080p @24" is so god damned old now it's insane. Why do I have to get a massive screen to get a pretty small resolution upgrade and how is the cost so massive.

Permabanned
There is a guy on "hardforum" claiming he can get control boards made for one of Asus panels that will run upto 300HZ

He offered to kickstart it if he gets enough interest but some mocked him saying GPU's will not run that speed etc etc.

Still will not need to worry about tearing with V-Sync OFF. :)

Soldato
OP
I've been toying with the idea I might get a freesync screen, I'm still on TN 120hz panels because I was waiting for something good. I'm 100% unwilling to give up 120hz, even at 60fps the 120hz screen is so much smoother and for non games, simple things like text being less blurry when you scroll is much less straining on eyes(in the head of someone prone to migraines anything along those lines helps).

Ideally I'd been waiting for some stunning oled screen, be it 1600p or 4k, not too big, nice sharp resolution. Seems that is still too far off so might have to bump up to a 1440-1600p screen.

Thing is I would happily move up to 27-30" for a 4k screen, but 1440p in 27" sounds a bit rubbish to me. I'd prefer to see 1440/1600p at 24", 120+ hz and if possible IPS and I'd probably buy one.

Monitor industry is a god damned joke. 1080p @24" is so god damned old now it's insane. Why do I have to get a massive screen to get a pretty small resolution upgrade and how is the cost so massive.

Yeah man I also think 24" is the perfect size for 1080p or even 1440p but sadly I think we outa luck. 27" is looking likely the next size for me and it's going to take some time getting used to it.

Man of Honour
gsync (or freesync) is nice and all but 120Hz with or without xxxxxxxsync is where its at :p the Swift locked at 125fps/120Hz with no vsync is almost as imperceptible for tearing as having gsync on except in highly specific situations.

Soldato
Considering that G-sync costs around £150 more to the end user, £63 less is still a markup of £87.

Not really freesync. A nice-chunk-less-sync :cool:.

And we still don't really know how good it is.

Regardless it will add competition which is good for us.

Free as in no license fees, that fact does not change regardless if the manufactures want to charge the consumer for the feature.

Permabanned
Everything from CRT is a downgrade and since we did not get Plasma monitors its all on OLED or Quantum Dots which LG is about to ramp up. :(

Caporegime
Bating of both parties aside, Does any one know what hardware difference/requirement is. Was wondering due to in the vid it was mentioned that one monitor that's already out only required a firmware update.

Some existing screens already have the necessary technology inside, it just doesn't work because of incompatible Display Ports, those compatible display ports have now been standardised, so in theory with a firmware update those screens should be Free-Sync, its a theory, even if there is some truth to it they may only work in that way for videos, for gaming requires a little something extra of some description, apparently.

either way one might not know if one already has one of those screens, manufactures may not tell you, its also not in their interest to give you the necessary firmware update as they would rather you buy a new screen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom