I want a Plasma TV again!

Soldato
There's a 65" OLED screen for about £3k that I keep eyeing up

I've not spent that much on a TV before.

I got my Kuro for about £900 and my current tv, a 50" Panny GT30 plasma was about £1100.

Me to! Had my Panny V50 a while now, still has a stunning picture. Still doesn't stop me sizing up the flat 65" LG OLED , if it comes down to 2k, maybe 2.2k I'll get it

Man of Honour
OP
I have found a Panasonic tx-p42ut30b locally at a good price

Was this a good model back in the day? I had a p50g30b is the ut better ??

Thanks

Caporegime
I have found a Panasonic tx-p42ut30b locally at a good price

Was this a good model back in the day? I had a p50g30b is the ut better ??

Thanks

It was the lowest 1080p model and the second lowest model overall.

Some models only appeared for a year or two.

The complete range was

X - UT - ST - GT - VT - ZT

The UT missed everything apart from the panel of the others. It had no filter, no advanced electronics. It's going to be extremely reflective if direct light is shone upon it.

The X was 720p the rest were 1080p.

so your GT30 was 2 models higher than a UT30, they shared the same panel but the GT was considerably superior.

Soldato
I have a GT30 50" and it's still a great TV. Had it for 4 years now and still have 1 year left of warranty....would hate to think what they'd replace it with now if it broke.

I have no intention of replacing it until 4K OLED becomes affordable.

Associate
I have a GT30 50" and it's still a great TV. Had it for 4 years now and still have 1 year left of warranty....would hate to think what they'd replace it with now if it broke.

I have no intention of replacing it until 4K OLED becomes affordable.

Ditto with my ST30, will be 5 years this October.

Caporegime
Anyone who owns a panny plasma should keep it unless they want a bigger screen.

I owned a 42" PZ85B and I moved to a 50" GT50B which is 4 generations newer and yes the PQ was better but it was like a smidge better not as huge as some people think it would be. Basically more refined and modern with more features but to the average person they would look identical apart from the obvious change in size, etc.

Can someone please tell me the best 42" kuro to look for aswell

I'll avoid the UT , want high end

you need to stop.

why are you looking to spend hundreds on a 10 year old tv with no warranty and no modern features?

they go for silly money because of the legacy.

it's like someone trying to buy a 1960's jag or rolls royce. sure they are great and lovely to look at but in a modern world they aren't when you start to break it all down.

you want a new tv? then i'll break it down either buy

A) A modern plasma second hand like a 50/60 series ST or higher anything older won't have much warranty so it's a risky purchase unless you get one for cheap which Kuro's aren't so forget them.

B) Buy a brand new top end premium 1080p lcd. No they aren't as good as plasma but they aren't that far off and they are extremely cheap now brand new. I mean you can get a 50" for £500ish from sony and that's the top end flagship 1080p panel.

C) Buy a brand new OLED. You can get a 55" brand new with 5 year warranty for £1300.

Man of Honour
OP
Sonny thanks for the advise it is the Panasonic 42" gt vt ect series I am after

Was just curious about the pioneer

It is very hard to find a used high end panny

My living room is too small for a 50" tv

Caporegime
Theres plenty on avforums classifieds. Problem is you want 42". Many people who buy a premium panel tend to buy big. Tvs get bigger every year and more affordable. So most modern plasmas are 50-60 inch.

There will be some 42's but not many. I think i saw a couple on there.

Caporegime
Like other people are saying, it's not worth bothering. You can get a 4K Sony for around the £600 mark, do you really want to spend £300 on a 720p plasma that's 7+ years old?

Plus if you can fit a 42" Kuro in your space, you can probably get a 46" LCD due to the smaller bezels everything has now.

Associate
After my 2012 samsung plasma broke recieved some insurance cash to buy replacement. Went through 4 led tvs with one being a 4k 2015 panasonic (cx680). All of them had issues with clouding, banding , DSE and very poor viewing angles.

Picked up a Panasonic 50" GT50 second hand and more than happy with it.

Happy to wait a year or so for Oled's to come down in price.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
I chucked my 43 inch Pioneer 436de, loved it to bits but we spent a lot of cash on the front room and decided to change the tv. Tried selling it, no one wanted it.

smr

smr

Soldato
I have my Panasonic TH-42PX80B from 2008 still.. using it as our main TV in the lounge... the HDMI stopped working a few years ago so I bought a new mobo for it and repaired it myself, has worked flawlessly since but there is one dead pixel (hardly noticeable and I'm surprised I remembered it) in the middle of the screen... I would be willing to sell it as I'm looking for a new TV.

Back
Top Bottom