• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
Hope is very important. Look at people who've lost hope. It gets very messy very quickly. It costs nothing and even helps you live longer, but you still have to be a realist. It's not a guarantee, but will sustain you until the full facts emerge. It's really the counter to fear of the unknown and I know which I'd rather have :)

I'd also like cheaper hardware!

The thing is, when you say "hope", I fear you mean "expectations" which is what I think Martini is talking about.

Soldato
I'll buy a hat and eat it if AMD change the CPU landscape over night.

I don't know why people think AMD are suddenly going to change the landscape.

I'm not saying that they're going to produce a flop, I just don't know why people will think it'll be be bargain basement pricing.
300 pound for 5960X performance would be silly.

The 5960X is ridiculously priced and intel have been drip feeding people performance improvements and keeping their product range mainly at quad core. this is only since they have not had competition.

AMD need to get market share back so 'summit ridge' will more than likely be priced to compete with the current top intel i7 quads instead of the HEDT parts. There are also features likely missing in 'summit ridge' that means it would not be in the same category as the HEDT in terms of feature, such as greater than dual channel ram and also it having fewer native PCIE connections on die. etc.

Soldato
The 5960X is ridiculously priced and intel have been drip feeding people performance improvements and keeping their product range mainly at quad core. this is only since they have not had competition.

AMD need to get market share back so 'summit ridge' will more than likely be priced to compete with the current top intel i7 quads instead of the HEDT parts. There are also features likely missing in 'summit ridge' that means it would not be in the same category as the HEDT in terms of feature, such as greater than dual channel ram and also it having fewer native PCIE connections on die. etc.

Yeah I agree. The 5960X is priced right at the thinnest end of the wedge. If AMD can match that chip it would be silly to price it anything close to that level or consider designing a chip for that market.

Soldato
The thing is, when you say "hope", I fear you mean "expectations" which is what I think Martini is talking about.

Yes you may be right hence I also a mention of realism. Some people confuse the two. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst :)

The sad truth is business is there to make the maximum profit it can for its shareholders. I do wonder however if they would make more profit shifting a larger volume a lower price? I'm not sure what the sweet spot is but is hope big companies like these would know. That said I work for a large multinational and they don't seem to have a Scooby Doo on costs and charges!

Associate
Zen could be Phenom II in new AMD days....So very cool product against Intel with better ratio for endusers. Nobody hoped much for increase from Phenoms to Phenoms II. And all was better. Better power consumption, better IPC, much better OC. X4 965 was as i5-750, Thubans x6 rolled also

Caporegime
Zen could be Phenom II in new AMD days....So very cool product against Intel with better ratio for endusers. Nobody hoped much for increase from Phenoms to Phenoms II. And all was better. Better power consumption, better IPC, much better OC. X4 965 was as i5-750, Thubans x6 rolled also

Phenom was a pretty big disappointment though.

And Zen needs to be more than another "Phenom II", Phenom II was good price/performance, it came out after socket 1366 and before socket 1156, when prices dropped it became a very good purchase, and then Thuban was a quality launch.

Although AMD was very much helped by Intels rather low stock clocks.

Soldato
Well AMD have had a very long time to get something together. Don't forget Intel also had a long time and will probably come up with something that will trump Zen. At least AMD would be pushing them.

That's true if AMD comes along and Zen is competitive Intel will have to respond, for a few years term that could mean sizeable price cuts across the board. If Intel wants to drastically change the design of it's CPU's like AMD did to get a larger performance boost that might take 3/4 years to accomplish.

But at the moment Zen is just people's dreams and high expectations

Hopes and dreams yes but expectations.........after the fiasco that was Bulldozer I think most of the enthusiast community have tempered their expectations and what to expect from AMD this time around.

Last edited:

tbh

tbh

Associate
Looking at those chip images that were leaked recently, I'm personally hoping for a rectangular CPU. It would just be a nice change. :)
Intel missed out on a great marketing opportunity by not shaping the Pentium like a pentagon!

Associate
I've used the same Noctua cooler since 2008 on both AMD & Intel cpus & it's currently strapped to my i7. A well designed cooler can be made to fit anything, it means little for the actual design or performance of the chip & socket imho.

Intel missed out on a great marketing opportunity by not shaping the Pentium like a pentagon!

Lol.

Soldato
You jest but the technology exists.

I think they made circular dies a year or so ago on a test process.

incredibly innefficient for yields though.

And in terms of the rest of the thread, a rectangular die in the way AMD has laid out summit ridge should have better thermal characteristics than a more condensed die.

Soldato
If that's true and available for £800 then Intel are in deep trouble.

Anyone the remember the S939 FX days when AMD on top. FX-57 there lasst epic cpu before the Core 2 duo got released was £750 or almost a grand a in todays money.

Point is if Zen is competitive they are not going to price it drastically lower and if it smashes Intel's efforts.

Back
Top Bottom