Dark Souls 3

Soldato
Not sure what time the DLC is coming now PC gamer think its 5am tomorrow morning but Steam says around 11PM this evening :rolleyes:

Soldato
I'm mixed. They've stuck to their philosophy of throwing as many enemies at you as possible and all that really does for me is make me want to just run past them. Multiple melee, AOE, ranged and ranged with AOE all at once is just annoying to be honest.

Soldato
I may hold off for now, in terms of content then is it quite low? Blood borne dlc was quite big but i think that was 2 in 1

Funny but when I did the Bloodborne DLC I got to the chapel thing at the start with the big thing and got some item in there and thought that was it, was like woah this is short but then watched a video and saw I missed a door but yea' it was 2 in one I think.

I mean me and my friend do co-op so we do an area on one, then the area on another. We started at 6:30 maybe had 30 mins of breaks and was done by about 11.

Soldato
Funny but when I did the Bloodborne DLC I got to the chapel thing at the start with the big thing and got some item in there and thought that was it, was like woah this is short but then watched a video and saw I missed a door but yea' it was 2 in one I think.

I mean me and my friend do co-op so we do an area on one, then the area on another. We started at 6:30 maybe had 30 mins of breaks and was done by about 11.

Yea that can happen :D

Hmm doesnt sound good enough as a pve only player like me, i think they have a big pvp focus here too?

Soldato
Yea that can happen :D

Hmm doesnt sound good enough as a pve only player like me, i think they have a big pvp focus here too?

I mean don't get me wrong I really enjoyed it and found it really fun but I was so sad when it was over. I really enjoyed the last boss fight I thought that was pretty cool but yea' they have some PvP arena thing now. You basically find an item, burn it at your shrine link fire and then you get the option to duel, 2v2,3v3 etc.

Soldato
I must try pvp sometime

I think ill wait until both packs are out and replay it as a whole game!

This one was the first souls game i didnt instantly replay (mainly due to time to play being less around release than i used to get due to us having a baba!)

Do want to replay it!

Soldato
So, just finished DS2, around a year after finally playing 1 and currently itching to venture into a new Souls game.

Now, I know I could Google these questions, but I want to avoid spoilers if possible and just get an idea about a few specific things before I buy and start my first playthrough rather then general info I've found thus far.

How does this compare to 1 and 2 in terms of size, world layout and difficulty of bosses? Oh, and boss variety (although I liked 2 a lot the bosses didn't really feel as novel or interesting as in 1... actually 1 was ahead of 2 in all these areas I thought except size possibly)?

I've given sorcerer (well, sorc/spellsword) a good go in 1 and 2 and keen to try a quality or dex build this time. Rapier and estoc were great weapons in 2 I noticed, and fun/stylish to use. Are these still worth basing a build around or are there just plain better options (mostly for PvE and as much PvP is necessary to defend myself from invaders)?

Any build tips (only basic pointers) - full dex, quality, dex-fth, dex-int... any combination notably more or less viable than any other? Any dump stats? Any OP stats?

Any significant differences that are going to throw me in terms of stats, items, build synergy this time around that it would be beneficial to know about in advance?

Getting excited already... :)

Soldato
Nope.

You expect to get past the tutorial level at the very least, surely!

Yeah, Dark Souls games are famous for putting surprisingly tough challenges at the end of their tutorial sections. Well, it didn't really happen in 2, but in 1... yeah, I died to the Asylum Demon a fair number of times. :)

It is worth persevering with, though. The games are different from most modern games in the level of challenge they present, but they are fair and it is just a matter of getting a feel for the game mechanics. You'll be surprised how fast you improve once you get a feel for the timing you need to dodge, roll and attack.

(Or you may be able to turtle behind a shield and find it easier to play that way, with a thrusting weapon - this was certainly my "training wheels" is DS1 until I got the hang of it - less sure how viable it is in 3 though. Oh, you'll need to learn stamina management anyway for that to work).

Cheers, I'll persevere. I'm actually finding the controls quite clunky too. What's the most natural, controller or K&M?

Everyone says controller. I respect there must be something in it for so many to be so adamant, but I tried a controller in DS1 and 2 and hated it. I just don't get on with controllers and actually found Kb&M much easier. You do lose some fine control and some directional movement I guess, but you gain more reactivity and camera control - at least in my experience. And because I'm so much more comfortable with Kb&M anyway I just found it a much easier and more pleasant experience than with controller.

I'm flying very smoothly through NG+ in DS2 now with Kb&M and really only one boss in the Iron King DLC gave me any significant trouble in my first playthrough, so it's definitely a viable set-up (I even won around two-thirds of the invasions I experienced with Kb&M).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom