No Man's Sky - Procedural space game

Soldato
Presumably given sufficient effort into advancing the technology on your ship, getting to the centre is an attainable goal. To advance the tech on your ship you need to craft things, harvest materials, learn the languages so you can trade with NPCs etc.

It's a survival sandbox with an objective, basically.

Soldato
Ew survival games... If i wanted to play those id play ark cos i mean who doesnt want to play with dinos. :) But the whole survival genre is too much work imo so i avoid em. Lookin for fun in games not work.

Soldato
Ew survival games... If i wanted to play those id play ark cos i mean who doesnt want to play with dinos. :) But the whole survival genre is too much work imo so i avoid em. Lookin for fun in games not work.

There appear to be dinosaur type creatures?

It is what you make it I suppose, it's not going to be for everyone - Same way that Elite Dangerous isn't for everyone, but hey, I enjoy it!

Caporegime
They are deliberately not telling us about stuff to make us find it ourselves. The logo is apparently a thing called the Atlas that has a role that nobody has told us what it is yet.

Man of Honour
They are deliberately not telling us about stuff to make us find it ourselves. The logo is apparently a thing called the Atlas that has a role that nobody has told us what it is yet.

The last time a game company said that they deliberately werent telling me something about stuff to make me find it myself, the truth was because it wasnt actually implemented in the game yet to be found. Hence my cynicism when game 'features' arent explained in full. :D

**yes, I'm looking at you Ubisoft and Creative Assembly**

Last edited:
Associate

I would like it to be the case that there's a whole raft of gameplay elements that won't be revealed but instead discovered by players after launch but... that would mean withholding major selling points and is very unlikely.

Caporegime
The last time a game company said that they deliberately werent telling me something about stuff to make me find it myself, the truth was because it wasnt actually implemented in the game yet to be found. Hence my cynicism when game 'features' arent explained in full. :D

**yes, I'm looking at you Ubisoft and Creative Assembly**

This is my exact thought :p. "We aren't going to tell you, so you can find it out for yourself" actually means "we haven't built/written it yet" :D.

Soldato
I worry too that there is going to be this huge universe but very little to do in it, I suppose when you break any game down to its most basic components they all sound very basic though.

Surprised we still haven't seen any PC footage yet which is another reason why I'm not pre-ordering yet, will wait until nearer the time before deciding. Much as I would like a global release having the delay will allow us to see how it goes, what it is, is it a decent port/version etc.

Associate
Not sure about that. See the IGN video from earlier this month, at about 15.00 he says "now that I've flown away from that planet everything that we just saw is thrown away, if I fly back down everything will be regenerated. All those creatures, all the terrain, trees, grass, everything".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-uMFHoF8VA

So permanent for you yes, but only as long as you're on the planet. You leave and it's gone.

Globally everything is generated as you go, but locally some changes to the planet will save, if you dig a big hole for example on your game when you leave and go back to that planet the changes will still be there but globally the planet would just be generated from scratch for anyone else that happened to visit it.

Associate
US gets them on Tuesdays because of Sega. They marketed Sonic the Hedgehog 2 with a 'Sonic 2sday' tag line and it was so successful the US does all big releases on a Tuesday since.

Europe gets it on Friday because it's the sensible day to have it, and it goes back to physical distributors, who still call the shots.

Soldato
Publisher decision most likely, ridiculous really.

e: Just realised they're publishing it themselves, therefore a distributor decision?
I think this sort of thing often happens in order to not overwhelm their workload. Day 1 releases are very hectic times for developers. Despite what many may think, they do not just stamp the game 'done' and sit back sipping espresso afterwards!

Staggering releases probably helps them keep on top of any issues that inevitably arise. Especially with all these games that have Day 1 patches and with digital distribution and whatnot and the servers inevitably get stressed hard.

US gets them on Tuesdays because of Sega. They marketed Sonic the Hedgehog 2 with a 'Sonic 2sday' tag line and it was so successful the US does all big releases on a Tuesday since.

Europe gets it on Friday because it's the sensible day to have it, and it goes back to physical distributors, who still call the shots.
Or maybe it's this!

Interesting bit about Sega, I didn't know that.

Soldato
In the UK it's because games would be shipped to stores on the previous weekend and be put in the stockrooms ready for sale on the release date. The larger chains got things delivered to their main warehouses and from there would handle their own distribution to their various stores. The big chains complained that this took them enough time that smaller stores could get their stuff out for sale sooner, and the smaller stores tended to sells games under the counter before the official release so as to get sales in before they got swamped before the bigger stores who could undercut them.

So in the end, after bitching by all sides, the UK ended up with a friday release date so everyone could get their stuff on the shelves at the same time. It's not like there are any small independent stores left on the high street anyway or anyone buys PC games in shops.

Back
Top Bottom