No Man's Sky - Procedural space game

Soldato
Ah ok. What about planets, stars and systems?

There is huge, pretty, floaty map that you can see in the videos (on IGN for example) which reminds me a bit of the one in EVE although more style over substance. Looks impressive but the scale is almost so daunting I wonder if I can face it...

The center of the universe is a bright light and you are guided there with a line showing the jumps from system to system (again a bit like EVE but doubt there is an autopilot).

I'm sure Sean Murray (the MD at Hello Games) said there was another map for use in local systems.

Soldato
Mine's hardwired too and it's fantastic with an xb360 controller, couldn't get away with the steam controller. Interested in trying with a mouse and keyboard. I can't detect any lag at all.

I have the wireless dongle for the 360 pad already, so you can you plug it into the Steam Link directly and away you go?

Caporegime
Is there a record for the most hyped game ever?

Do we know what you actually 'do' in this yet?

I'm all on-board for a game to chill too, but I will need at least some sense of there being a point to what I'm doing.

Soldato
You make your own story, or that's how I look at it Skeeter. The lore is in the galaxy by the look of the videos, but only if you go looking for it, and only if you are very lucky to find it. It's basically an exploration/rpg to get to A you have to B and C first, but to do that you need this to get to there etc etc. Play as a good person, trading crafting or go around stealing stuff. I think you will get out of it what you put into it personally, play it as you please.

Soldato
Hope its not pure sandbox like a universe given to you and you make your own adventure. Hate those these days, like x rebirth. Hoping that theres a campaign and loads of side quests to do in this that is scripted with voice overs and all sorts.

Soldato
Hope its not pure sandbox like a universe given to you and you make your own adventure. Hate those these days, like x rebirth. Hoping that theres a campaign and loads of side quests to do in this that is scripted with voice overs and all sorts.

I dont think this is the game for you then, there's no mention of any quests, side quests or campaign in any media I've read or listened to yet. I've not seen anything hinting of such things either.

New video:

Last edited:
Associate
Whats the point in having this amazing universe with nothing to do in it? Art style is so good but seems like theres no content there.

I mean good if you just wanna relax and search from planet to planet. But what's the point, wheres the end game, wheres the journey or the experience. Once the wow factor has worn off and you've visited the 100th planet theres just gonna be an empty shell of a game.

Huge shame as this could have been so much better.

Caporegime
But what's the point, wheres the end game, wheres the journey or the experience.

The experience is the journey you embark on to get to the centre of the galaxy. That's the objective of the game. Everything you do - visit planets, collect resources, trade with NPCs is to further that journey - buying bigger/faster ships to get you ever nearer the galactic core.

Soldato
Don't you upgrade your ship and equipment? At the very least there has to be some aspect of "loot & level". Even the original Elite was nothing more than racking up the credits to buy better stuff. Sometimes that's all you need if it's interesting enough.

Soldato
I'm almost certainly going to get this game on PC. I had it on pre-order last year for the PS4 but I'm glad I cancelled it so I can get the PC version instead. Hopefully it'll be a sort of sandbox game. I get bored with games which just have a linear story line.

Soldato
Don't you upgrade your ship and equipment? At the very least there has to be some aspect of "loot & level". Even the original Elite was nothing more than racking up the credits to buy better stuff. Sometimes that's all you need if it's interesting enough.

Yes there's a big crafting and survival aspect. You need to upgrade your gear/ship to survive harsh environments, which presumably need to explore to get more advanced crafting materials etc.

Back
Top Bottom