No Man's Sky - Procedural space game

Soldato
They reset once you leave.

No they dont reset, you make a hole on a planet its there for life of the game unless someone messes with it.

Is there any information to support either of these?

I'd love it to stay there however it does mean that someone can come along and completely destroy a planet (and given the chance someone will).

Soldato
No they dont reset, you make a hole on a planet its there for life of the game unless someone messes with it.

You sure about that? I'm pretty sure the deltas aren't persisted once you leave the planet, it was mentioned in one of the videos (can't remember which).

Maybe it's changed?

Soldato
I just read it on a website that said it, let me look.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/03/03/you-can-do-much-more-than-fly-around-in-no-mans-sky

Your weapon in No Man's Sky can be modified to blast away terrain. You can create a hovel in the ground to shelter in, or dig through the surface of a planet to find beautiful caves below. Your modifications to the surface of planets are permanent – but bear in mind that the planets really are planet-sized, so a huge area that took you an hour to explore on foot is barely a pixel once you're back in orbit. I cannot understand how the game calculates this.

Thats where i saw it mention altering the surface is permanent.

Last edited:

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I believe it's permanent for your game, as it's saved locally, but if another player visits the planet later it won't be there for them.

The only way it would be visible to another player is if you are both on the same planet in the same spot at the same time. Then it would have the changes you made saved to both yours and their game saves

At least thats what I understand it to be.

Soldato
I believe it's permanent for your game, as it's saved locally, but if another player visits the planet later it won't be there for them.

Not sure about that. See the IGN video from earlier this month, at about 15.00 he says "now that I've flown away from that planet everything that we just saw is thrown away, if I fly back down everything will be regenerated. All those creatures, all the terrain, trees, grass, everything".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-uMFHoF8VA

So permanent for you yes, but only as long as you're on the planet. You leave and it's gone.

Caporegime
Ok yeah it seems its a bit confusing.

What we can guarantee is that changes you make won't be there for other people who come to that planet.

The jury still seems to be out on wether changes you make will still be there when you come back later. There seems to be conflicting statements on this.

My understanding was that the game regenerated planets when you fly to them without any cached changes, but its possible a local file could be retaining your changes.

Soldato
Dunno why it matters about others seeing it because according to the devs the universe is too huge no one will ever meet and if they do then the chance of that happening is greater than winning the lottery.

Also the way i take the whole persistence thing is that u can fire a hole in the ground it is permanent and when u go away from the planet the planet is turned into pure data and so is destroyed more or less as not needed right now, when you try to go back to the planet the planet is regenerated as in built by the last known config of the planet so the hole will be there still but chances are you probably might not find the same spot again where you landed as a planet is really (apparently) the real size of a planet.

Soldato
Pretty immaterial anyway, it would be a hell of an engineering headache to store the deltas of every single deforming interaction the player makes, in a robust way anyway.

The gameplay clearly strongly discourages staying in one place though....the chances you'll ever end up back at the same spot are pretty slim.

Soldato
Stuff you do that's not insignificant gets cached locally. Someone visits a planet you've taken a dump on won't see it. When you come back, the damage done is still there, or that's what I took from watching an interview with the lead dev

I'm not sure of the whole premise that you aren't actually in the same game, I mean the best bit of Eve was messing with other people's plans/escaping an ambush by the skin of your teeth. NPCs just aren't as fun or unpredictable

Caporegime
So in summary, its an enormous on-line game where you never meet anyone, don't do anything, and can never complete it?

Why do I still want it? :p Can you VPN on Steam to get a cheaper pre order?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The end game is reaching the centre of the universe, to what end is a mystery

Question is though, can you even reach the centre of the universe, given its vast scale , or is it one of those realistically unattainable goals. This is my biggest problem at the moment, yes I know about planets and procedural and graphics and creatures, but I still dont know what the 'game' of the game is.

Back
Top Bottom