HP Microserver+XPEnology

Caporegime
Hmmm tried to replace a 1TB harddrive with 5TB in mine and I keep getting volume errors.

I've tried to repair and then expand but keep getting volume errors. Ran smart health checks within DSM and on the new drive on my PC but there are no issues.

If I restart within Storage Manager it'll state that a file check needs to be run and I can run it and then it says it's fine but still not able to expand with the new drive. :confused:

Caporegime
Followed this - http://idmedia.no/projects/xpenology/expand-volume-synolgy-dsm-doesnt-want/

And seemed to work okay. Managed to expand and recognise the new hardware, so my volume is showing the right size, it's currently going through the disk check parity so it's looking good.

I'm on DSM 5.2 5595, will go through the updates once I sort out swapping in the other 5TB drive I have. Dont think I'll go to 5.2-5644 just yet.

Caporegime
Put in my 2nd 5TB last night and replaced a 3TB. The volume crashed on first boot, had to restart then run repair and then ran disk parity check over night. It's all working fine now though has the correct volume size and everything.

Soldato
Could anyone help me out with the correct procedure in updating Xpenoology as i've never done it before? Currently running 5592 Update 4 and would like to update to 5644.

Do I;
Update my USB bootloader with XPEnoboot DS3615xs 5.2-5644.1
Then reboot the NAS with new Bootloader,
Select 'Install/Upgrade',
Once complete and NAS is up and running update in DSM control panel (manual update?)?

Thanks

Associate
Could anyone help me out with the correct procedure in updating Xpenoology as i've never done it before? Currently running 5592 Update 4 and would like to update to 5644.

Do I;
Update my USB bootloader with XPEnoboot DS3615xs 5.2-5644.1
Then reboot the NAS with new Bootloader,
Select 'Install/Upgrade',
Once complete and NAS is up and running update in DSM control panel (manual update?)?

Thanks

After install/upgrade you need to search for your NAS in Synology Assistant and then choose upgrade VIA that and point it to the 5664 dsm file

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
For the photographers here I need a better backup solution / method.

I have a Shell Microserver still in its box
Once i get the £££ next year to finally get this sorted 4x WD/RED's

My overall goal is to have backup's automated and keep my pc clean as such & offsite backup.

at the moment i use my C: / Lightroom to import DNG
once ive edited / Jpg to my website(full res)

I then move the DNG's to my external I Drive.

I then use synctoy to echo to 2 other external drives to backup my whole lightroom folder thats on drive I.

At the moment as my LR folder totals 1TB now.

I want to backup just my LR folder to the cloud also as an off site backup but be able to Echo it like Synctoy.

Ideally once the NAS is setup i wanted this to automaticlly do it for me so my pc wouldnt need to be on.

any sugestions?

oh and thoughts on ARQ?

Last edited:
Associate
Ok, got XPenoboot on a usb stick, but the last step

Change the value of the serial number and MAC address of your

LABEL Synology DSM 5.0
MENU LABEL Synology DSM 5.0
kernel /zImage ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3612xs sn=B3J4N01003 mac1=00113208D63C mac2=00113208D63D vid=0x0EA0 pid=0x2168 loglevel=0 vga=0x305

sn=B3J4N01003 mac1=00113208D63C mac2=00113208D63D vid=0x0EA0 pid=0x2168

Has got me flumoxed - can get the file up in notepad, but I dont have the mac1 address etc - any ideas where I can find it from the machine ?

R

Mehul

Soldato
Hi Mehul,

The easiest way is to get the latest image from xpenology.com and write that to the usb, install in to machine and choose upgrade/install from the boot menu. then get the latest PAT installed and you'll have the latest DSM.

Personally, I'd stay away from the latest release and run at DSM 5.2-5592 Update 4 which has iSCSI working fine and it hasn't silently been updated by Synology; that is until xpenology release their latest boot loader.

If you're trying to get a valid serial and mac address so you can use the sinology online services, you may have to ask in the main thread at xpenology.com (not the Do not update thread which I've seen you post in).

Chris

Soldato
This might interest some of you that use synology because it does a good flexible raid implementation; the author of flexraid and t-raid (www.flexraid.com) has released the first public preview of a full blown software raid stack for Windows. Basically, it can do JBOD spans with parity, Raid x and as a result hybrid raids similar to SHR, although he is working on a full hybrid raid approach for those users that need it.

Sure, its not as complete as DSM from the interface, and his web interface might need some more work over time... but it runs on windows and so has access to all the normal windows apps, such as crashplan etc.

I've been wanting to move back to windows for some time but needed a block storage based parity system that I could easily add to and this might be it... Have been testing in a VM and performance is good for that, so when my new supermicro board arrives I will be moving fully in to a windows environment for testing; seems stable enough but have my data backed up on to a spare 3tb drive and the important stuff online.

Anyway, products called 'Standards' and can be downloaded from the forum if anyone is interested... Developer suggested price might be around $200 mark but that will give you a fully supported system running on Windows with which you can use any number of NFS/iSCSI systems.

If xpenology stops working for what ever reason, at least there appears to be a decent windows software now...

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Can i run Xpenology without having hdd's installed and just add hdd's later?

How much diffrent XPE is compaired to the official version by Synology?

Last edited:
Soldato
Can i run Xpenology without having hdd's installed and just add hdd's later?

Now thinking of ditching the gen8 and just going for a synology (but paying for the name etc.) and getting a 2 bay one with 2x 6TB drives.

No, like a real synology device, DSM is installed on to the hard drives; for xpenology, the boot usb simply emulates the built in boot device on an official unit.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
No, like a real synology device, DSM is installed on to the hard drives; for xpenology, the boot usb simply emulates the built in boot device on an official unit.

doh okay :( shall wait till after xmas to get it up and running then.

A shame it can run off usb to save disk space

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom