HP Microserver+XPEnology

Soldato
Sorry to post this question again (it was a while ago) but would someone be able to tell me how to sync a folder on my NAS with a laptop on the same network as well as an Iphone and another laptop that are not on the network.

The iPhone and laptop that are not on the network belong to my brother I want to set up the folder sync to automate the process of him sharing photo's with my and the parents. I've tried using Bittorent sync and owncloud but neither of seemed terrible user friendly and some files simple refused to sync.

I've tried using DS Cloud as well but trying to connect to it seems to be pot luck. I tried to use my own Android phone as a test (4G, so not within the network) and sometimes and would connect and sometimes it wouldn't. When I tried to connect from my brother's iphone it would always just say DS Cloud needed updating, which it is.

I'm still getting to grips with everything NAS related but it's starting to get pretty frustrating that I cant seem to sync a single folder between the NAS and one other device.

If anyone can offer any help i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Associate
VMDK Files missing

Can anyone tell me how to recreate the vmware hard drive link vmdk files again please, for some reason I had to reset vmware and have restored the virtual machines but for some reasons the hard drive link vmdk files have been deleted, have tried recreating them in putty but the hard drives no longer appear.

Soldato
Just an fyi in case others use the "custom sickbeard" (sickrage) package: Something went a bit wrong with one of the recent revisions and it stopped reporting that updates were available, as well as not loading the log files properly. I had to ssh in and manually run a git pull to update the source.

Soldato
To be honest, if you're still using WHS2011, then I would run tRAID, fRAID or sRAID from www.flexraid.com. I'm using the beta of sRAID (standards RAID) which is a Window software RAID stack, similar to Linux's and what synology use as the base for their software implementation.

sRAID currently doesn't have a cruise control for Hybrid Raid like SHR does in DSM but the other raids are just pass-through disk and create raid config, quite simple... although the interface does require some work to make it more streamlined.

My custom hybrid raid on my storage box runs as fast as SHR on DSM, but with the added advantage of a full windows setup (applications etc.) plus SMB3 multichannel for multi-nic use for single TCP streams!

I will say that as preview software is pretty complete and I'm urging the developer to create a simple way for hybrid raids to be created without the manual process I've been doing.

EDIT: if you don't want to keep WHS2011, then Xpenology is also a good fit.

Associate
Just managed to create a 12 disk system using:-
3 x Microservers
1 x LSI MR SAS 9240-8i SAS/SATA 6g 8port RAID controller
1 x PSU extension/splitter cable
1 x molex power extension cable, plus 3 x 1-into-2 splitters

1 Microserver is used to host the XPEnology USB, 4 drives using the on-board SATA and the RAID card.
I've used two older Microservers (one with a faulty motherboard) effectively as drive enclosures, with the SAS cables running from from the Microservers into the RAID card. Bit fiddly to get the cables to run through
For power, I've used an in-line power splitter in the main Microserver to trigger the PSU into one of the "enclosure" cases and run a power extension from that case into the other enclosure case (don't fancy running all 12 drives off a single supply).

Had to disable the eSata and OD SATA ports to stop XPEnology picking those up first and ignoring 2 ports on the RAID card - otherwise no other tweaks were required.

Given the price of a 12 disk Synology system, I'm really pleased with this :)

2lm5avq.jpg

The master server is located in the middle in the photo below
2h4luuh.jpg

So I bought a G1610T microserver and installed xpebology with 4 hdds.

After seeing the above in the spoiler section, just wondering what can I do to expand mine to a 12 drive server?

I've been told I can use a SAS controller like a fujitsu lsi sas9200-8e

But I've no experience in server stuff, so not sure how to go about it.
So what's the best, cheapest ways to go about this?

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all.

I swapped a drive yesterday to move to a larger one, the new drive looks like it has crashed (shows up as crashed when I look at the disks). It has passed the quick and the extended SMART tests and i can see read / write to the drive. What has happened and do I need to swap it out?

Cheers :)

Soldato
Hi

I've finally moved back to Xpenology.

Installed etc. and decided that has I have 3 x 3TB drives plus a few others I would use SHR2 for protection. When selecting all 6 drives, I end up with 2.33TB space available using SHR2 but with SHR1 I get around 6.5TB. I was expecting around 4TBish using SHR2 and not what I have.

Drives are:

Disk 1

WD30EFRX-68EUZN0

2794.52 GB

Disk 2

WD10EZEX-00RKKA0

931.51 GB

Disk 3

WD30EZRX-00D8PB0

2794.52 GB

Disk 4

WD30EFRX-68EUZN0

2794.52 GB

Disk 5

WD5000AADS-00S9B0

465.76 GB

Disk 6

HDS728080PLA380

74.54 GB

Is that the right sort of size I should be getting?

Soldato
Right so my bad, didn't realise that I needed 4 drives that are the same size or bigger than the dual parity to get the full usage. So basically, I need to add an additional 3TB drive to start utilising the space of the other drives effectively, annoying.. Would probably be better long term with a 12 bay system but I don't know if have more space requirements right now than 2.33TB will allow :(

Soldato
I've only just tried Xpenology on my N54, had 2 of them for a couple of years now but only just now starting to need to have an out of machine backup of data from my main home server.

Blown away by how easy it was to install, always thought it was a pain to do. Bare metal install, disk imaged and started it off. Very happy chappy. Just waiting for it to check through my "test" SHR array and then I'll start moving adding the real backup HDD's.

Associate
Just ordered a Gen8 G1610T, looking forward to getting this up and running shortly!

Sorry to repeat what others have asked in the past but could anybody point me in the direction of the best/latest version of xpenology DSM to flash? Xpenology.com confuses the hell out of me when I'm trying to work out which version to grab.

Back
Top Bottom