Steam Link and Steam Controller now available to Pre Order

Caporegime
OP
I have a wireless 360 pad. You need to use the USB adapter for PC as it doesn't connect natively. I had a Chinese fake one that worked fine for a while and then packed in and refused to work. I swapped it out and now use an official one and its been rock solid with 2 pads synced to it.

Streaming over WiFi is going to be patchy. I would strongly recommend a wired connection.

As for overall experience, it varies wildly for different people. I've had some games run awful yet others have had the same game run fine. What I have had work on it has been great though. Sofa based casual or slower paced gaming is great.

Associate
I'm considering grabbing a Steam Link, maybe the controller too. I've decided to sell my Xbox One and just keep my PC for gaming so the Link will come in very handy for gaming downstairs.

Soldato
For anyone interested....snip

Nice comparison between wired and wireless, made even better with the words GPUnit right across the middle of the screen! :p It would have also been nice to get both screens fully in camera shot, but hey, that's probably just me nit picking ;)

Apart from that 10 out of 10 for the demo :)

I only run Steam Link across a gigabit network so have not encountered the slow downs that wireless obviously causes.

Just out of interest what wireless hardware are you running? How far away is the wireless router/access point?

Associate
Nice comparison between wired and wireless, made even better with the words GPUnit right across the middle of the screen! :p It would have also been nice to get both screens fully in camera shot, but hey, that's probably just me nit picking ;)

Apart from that 10 out of 10 for the demo :)

I only run Steam Link across a gigabit network so have not encountered the slow downs that wireless obviously causes.

Just out of interest what wireless hardware are you running? How far away is the wireless router/access point?

Although next to each other I had cables using TP link adaptors plugged into the mains. The signal was carried to our modest Sky broadband router and back around.

I know my video isn't the greatest but it's bee a long time.
I did have the intention of places my logo in one of the top corners using a .png but i never had the time.
I got the tools (ADOBE CS6 Master collection) But not the time. lol

Caporegime
I bought the steam controller a while ago but haven't really needed to use it.

XCOM 2 doesn't have native controller support though so I'll be the first chance to test it out. Hopefully its intuitive enough.

Soldato
Same as above, had my steam controller since launch, used it for a total of about 3 hours, not many games I can see myself using it with xcom 2 maybe??

Associate
what are the impressions of people who already own Steam Link?

Agreed with the previous reply. Wired networking is a must. And it works well until one part gets altered - at the moment for me this is the latest Nvidia drivers causing issues.

That's the biggest issue is that a lot of the issues can be outside of Valves direct control (drivers, network, game overlays - Orgin looking at you here! :mad:)

But having said all of that - know it's niggles and prepare to tinker a bit and you can have a really great time with it :D

Soldato
what are the impressions of people who already own Steam Link?

Best £40 i spent in a long time, as above depends soo much on each users set up but mine i would consider average. Basic virgin router, cheapest tp link network plugs and tbh an almost flawless experiance. Once or twice my sound seemed to be delayed so quickly turning the network plugs off and on again sorted this so maybe better ones would resolve it but its happened twice since launch.

Rise of the tomb raider looks gorgeous and runs spot on, 1080p 60. Fallout 4 looked a bit blotchy but then again thay was months ago and the link and steam have been updated a lot since so would probably be better now but that game grew dull fast for me

Soldato
So I bought £40 worth of Steam codes from CDkeys as it was a few quid cheaper.

Did not realise it's £7 postage... might pass until a good offer comes on. Now stuck with £40 in my wallet haha.

Associate
Was just going to get the Link as the uncertain comments about the controller put me off a little. But just managed to get the Link and controller for £62 off an auction site, I figured I'd pay £40 for the Link anyway so might as well pay £22 to try the controller.

Associate
I'm about 80 hours into my Steam Controller and I don't regret it at all. We've gone from a fairly wacky controller to something more refined in a few months. The support shown by Valve in adding requested features is fantastic. The community is extremely active in tweaking controller schemes to find the perfect setup and its already led to some configs like the touch menu/ mouse region combo for action RPGs which is arguable better then mouse & keyboard.

Associate
Anyone else experiencing issues with Steam crashing when using the Link? Before today I couldn't tell you the last time it crashed, yet now I have the Link it's happened twice in the space of a few hours.

Both times I was using the Link and some quick Googling suggests it's Big Picture mode that's causing the Steam client to crash. Just wondering if anyone with more experience than one evening has experienced this?

Soldato
It's taken a while but I'm actually coming around to the Steam controller now. I tend to activate the gyro controls on rpad touch as mouse look so that I can do "fine tuning" on aim or look up/down easily.

I still prefer the xbox360 pad ABXY button locations though.

There seem to be more "official" configs coming out which is handy. It's a bit of a pain setting everything up manually otherwise.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom