Steam Link and Steam Controller now available to Pre Order

Caporegime
Steam Link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/353380/?snr=1_620_4__45

Steam Controller: http://store.steampowered.com/app/353370/?snr=1_620_4__45

I'm not really fussed by the controller as the 360 controller is supported by almost every game that matters, but the Steam Link is interesting. If it can deliver solid 1080p gaming over a GB LAN then I may well jump in on that. Ive yet to get In Home Streaming working properly however, so I don't hold out much hope.

At least my GF would stop complaining about the 15m HDMI cable running through the house!

Caporegime
OP
It says the Steam Link supports the 360 Wireless Controller. I assume that would be by plugging the Wireless Receiver into the link rather than 'natively' supporting the wireless communication, but as I already own 2 Receivers and 2 Wireless 360 pads, the Steam controller is rather redundant.

Does it only support a 100meg network connection?

I did just spot that. Its a massive let down if true :(

Caporegime
OP
I suspect this would work well with my 300mb FTTP connection?

It uses LAN not the internet. The host PC and the Steam Link must be on the same internal network.

To me the main point about the Link is the price. I was expecting it to be a lot more expensive. I don't think you could build something yourself for that little. Its cheap enough that I'm tempted to pre order one just to try it out.

Caporegime
OP
Why does it need USB3? All you will be using is a keyboard, mouse or pad in the USB ports?

Pre ordered a Link to try. Ouch at £8 shipping!

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Higher resolution streams would need more bandwidth so those go hand in hand, but I still don't see why people think it needs USB3?

And its designed to connect to a TV, so I doubt they will support anything above 1080p until 4K becomes mainstream and then it will jump to that.

At the end of the day its just a receiver for a network stream and a USB hub. Theres not really anything in it to upgrade?

Caporegime
OP
We must conclude that Valve are happy that 100mb is fast enough, or they wouldnt have used it.

So, I've pre ordered a Link, I've now got 4 months to upgrade my PC so its actually fast enough to feed it :p

Caporegime
OP
Good job it'd only 40 quid then ;)

It is litterally 'a Steam link'. You can build your own right now with anything that will run Windows or SteamOS. I think you'd struggle to build one for under £40 though?

Caporegime
OP
In Home Streaming is a bit flakey. If you get errors and things then yes you need to wander into the other room. I've never successfully got it working, bit others have so I'll hold back judgement.

I will have my wireless KB/mouse combo plugged in for if/when I get an error a pad can't deal with.

If steam client supported arm you would get one for less. I would like to know the actual specs(internal) of what what I would be buying.
a box with an atom processor wouldnt cost a lot more and you could do so much more with it.
I already have a small (kabini) pc that I use for in home streaming with steam and watching sky player and movies tv etc. I used to use a rasp pi 2 for that but wanted access to sky and steam. so £50 for a box that just links to steam on another pc is a bit much. I would rather pay £100 for a system that can do a lot more.

That option is there. Valve aren't trying to get in on the mini PC market, as theres already a billion options out there. The internal specs of the Link are pretty irrelevant as you will never be directly using them for anything. If you want a device that does more then you can build one, like you have.

And again, its £40, not £50.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Indeed, shall decide at the time :) so do we think it just streams steam as big picture mode or will it stream whatever the computer is doing if that makes sense? So if a pop up box comes up will that stream to the tv screen too so we can address it or will we have to return to the pc to sort it, i think i need more info lol

Tbh £40 is worth a shot i think because if it works i would benefit greatly from it

If you have 2 computers now you can try it out with In Home Streaming. Or use SteamOS if you have something like a small media PC. The Steam Link will offer that same experience, just in an all in one packaged little box that is pre built.

Caporegime
OP
I'm not saying that this isn't good value for money but for me it's wasted because of the "missing" features for my "personal" needs.

My living room TV is a Sony SXRD 55" 1080p so I can live with the supported maximum resolution being 1080p 60fps.

However when mainstream 4K TV's become more affordable which they are starting to become then the 100Mb NIC will become a problem when streaming 4k even over wireless a/c as the maximum theoretical throughput I don't achieve due to brick walls in my Victorian styled house.

It's unknown what compression is being used at 1080p. I suspect there will be some graphical degradation, however I would love to see some before encoding and after decoding screenshots to see if the visual difference is worth crying over.

I have a 5.1 surround sound setup in my living room therefore I would benefit if it supports it either via toslink or hdmi.

USB 3.0 is for Corsair's RGB keyboard that uses either 2XUSB 2.0 or 1XUSB3.0. There is the option of using control pads but I would like to have the best of both Worlds (Steam Pad/XB1 and something like Corsair's Lapdog)

Are there any plans to integrate VOIP? I would like to use Teamspeak to communicate or listen to clans whilst gaming.

Will there be Steering wheel integration/3D Vision support?

Now I would gladly pay extra if the Steamlink box has these features as I know I will make use of them, it will then become a welcomed addition to any living room then.

The Steam Link isn't trying to be the device you are describing. Your effectively asking why a calculator can't do everything a smartphone does!

The Steam Link doesn't do 4K. If they release one that does it will come with faster network connections.

It sounds like what you want is a SteamOS box, or even a fully fledged gaming PC. And there are loads of options for that. This might be of interest http://store.steampowered.com/steamos

Think of the Steam Link as the same as running HDMI and USB extension cables to your TV, nothing more.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I believe it's a reference you your apparent failure to read the first line of the post you quoted - the one that makes it clear he's not complaining it can't do those things, but explaining why his personal requirements mean it's not for him.

And he then goes on to say the reason why it's not for him is because it doesn't do a bunch of stuff it isn't designed to do anyway.

Saying a strawberry is crap because it isn't a raspberry is a rather pointless stance.

I even pointed out that he could make a device that does exactly what he wants, and linked him to some further reading too to help. But hey, sure, I'm the one being a ****.

:rolleyes:

Caporegime
OP
I wonder when company's will realize that gloss plastic needs to just go away and die in a hole somewhere.

1,000,000% this!

Steam link is Steam Streaming presented in a nice box for those whose TV's are too far away from the computer to connect via HDMI right?

Yep, or those whos GFs don't approve of trailing HDMI cables all the way across the house! :D

Caporegime
OP
There are a lot of PC games that are designed for controllers and sofa lounging. They also have the advantage of being cheaper and better looking than consoles.

Caporegime
OP
I'm sure with VPNs you could trick it, although the upload speed of most home internet connections would probably prevent it being very playable.

Caporegime
OP
Portal 2 and Rocket League is being given away free to people pre-ordering Steam hardware.

But its also being given free to people who have already pre-ordered too, which is nice!

Back
Top Bottom