Steam Link and Steam Controller now available to Pre Order

Associate
.....and with steam link the game must be on steam? add to steam library doesn't work?
Don't have a Steam Link but I am Streaming to a SteamOS machine + Windows 10 Laptop.

You can add just about any game/program as a "Non-Steam Game" to your library and its then available to Stream.

Problem is, as I'm finding, some games don't work as Steam In-Home streaming will often attach to the wrong window, for example a Game Launcher, and you end up with the audio but you just sit there looking at the launcher and nothing else.

Then I find I have to head back to my gaming PC to alt-tab back in game. I'm assuming this is popups or notifications in the background causing the window the game is being streamed in to minimize.

Still its not all bad news. I have Kodi working 99.99% of the time except for an audio pop here and there. Giving the full media centre feeling to my SteamOS box is a nice bonus.

Quite a few Origin games work surprisingly well too. You just have to add the Origin client instead of the game. Then launch Origin via In-Home streaming and then launch the game from Origin as normal. Might need to head back to your gaming PC and alt-tab back in of course. Once its running its great.
Seen some people posting they have even got Star Wars Battlefront working this way :D

Associate
How long does it take for shipping direct from steam? I ordered on monday and just got an email with tracking info (its in the netherlands right now).

Originally ordered from game and it went missing so getting impatient now! should have just bought it in a game store :/

Associate
Just picked up a controller, link and ethernet over powerline kit. And my wife's put them up for Christmas.

I want a divorce :D

i went the reverse route! i have all the above bought covertly!!! she thinks im spending hours up in the PC room on my days off,

I will be divorced if she finds out :eek:

Caporegime
My steam link arrived today. I got it set up without too much bother and I've spent an hour or so playing one of the Prince of Persia games. I had one crash and it said it couldn't find the pc, which was weird. I disabled the wireless to force my pc to use the Ethernet/home plug and since then it's been fine. Graphical quality is excellent and I'm not noticing any input lag. So far so good.

Associate
How long does it take for shipping direct from steam? I ordered on monday and just got an email with tracking info (its in the netherlands right now).....
If you head back to the GLS website following the tracking link you got in your Email. After a short while you should get a Parcel Force tracking number appear on that page.

Just copy that number into the Parcel Force tracking tool ( http://www.parcelforce.com/track-trace ) and you should get an idea when its going to be delivered.

Associate
I only got to spend 10 mins with the pad (xmas present that my missus allowed me to test), but does anyone feel there's a slight latency to the track pad? Is that just the configuration I had on by default.

It is just the setting you used, it was emulating an analogue stick. It takes a lot of tinkering to get this working properly. It is much better at emulating mouse movement.

Associate
How long does it take for shipping direct from steam? I ordered on monday and just got an email with tracking info (its in the netherlands right now).

Originally ordered from game and it went missing so getting impatient now! should have just bought it in a game store :/

Once it has arrived in Netherlands, it should be next day delivery.

Soldato
So, got the link, seeing some stuttering in World Of Warships, however my gfx card is an ageing 1gb Radeon 6850, i5 2500k on Asus P8Z68-V PRO GEN3, 8gb RAM

Is the issue likely to be gfx card?, if so recommended upgrade path?

Wired gigabit network.

Last edited:
Soldato
So, got the link, seeing some stuttering in World Of Warships, however my gfx card is an ageing 1gb Radeon 6850, i5 2500k on Asus P8Z68-V PRO GEN3, 8gb RAM

Is the issue likely to be gfx card?, if so recommended upgrade path?

Wired gigabit network.

I have te same processor which is still fine today imo, and had 2 6950/ in mine but swapped them out for a single nvidia gtx 970 and the increase was amazing!

Associate
Can't vouch for star wars but black ops 3 is rubbish on it as its too fast paced and you die too fast. Can only imagine star wars being the same.

The link is more for the slower paced games, Witcher 3 etc.

Just my experience.

Soldato
Can't vouch for star wars but black ops 3 is rubbish on it as its too fast paced and you die too fast. Can only imagine star wars being the same.

The link is more for the slower paced games, Witcher 3 etc.

Just my experience.

Ive had a good experiance with advanced warfare on the link, what sort of set up do you have may i ask? Wired etc, hardware encoding on?

Associate
Late reply, I'd forgotten I posted this.

That looks pretty awesome! I might have to pick up one of the racing games and give it a go. I loved Forza on the XBox so this looks promising.

It's a really fun and accurate solution, it just takes a lot of fiddling because most popular configs are actually garbage.

This sounded interesting til I got mine. Reasons why I think X360/X1/DS4 would still be better:

- To use the gyro steering, you have to hold the controller up in the air. You cant just lie the controller in your lap.

- Very short triggers on the Steam controller. Way too short for ideal throttle and brake modulation.

I was worried about fatigue as well but actually you can rest your arms. In that video I had to hold the pad up so the camera could see what I was doing, otherwise I play with my arms pretty close to my body, sorta resting my elbows against myself. Or, I rest my arms on the arm rests on my chair, for small corrections you can just twist your hands a bit and for bigger ones you only need lift one arm up to make the turn then put it back. I've played for hours in one sitting and didn't get tired once.

The triggers are more of an issue though, its a shame. Its another thing you just get used to though. It would be nice to have a bit more travel but its workable.

In my opinion, pitting gyro controls up against a traditional pad the Steam controller still comes out miles ahead. You just need a good config to make it feel worth it.

Associate
Ive had a good experiance with advanced warfare on the link, what sort of set up do you have may i ask? Wired etc, hardware encoding on?

Wired powerline AV1200 with transfer of around 2-300Mbps. Not sure about hardware coding, most likely default. What would you suggest?

BO3 for me is just slightly on the unplayable side because of the speed of the game. Graphics are fine. It's probably a mixture of TV, powerline and my poor skills that make it harder. I play fine in front of the PC though.

Anthony.

Back
Top Bottom