Help make out skies darker.

Soldato
Hello, As an astronomer this rings true and it does make sense. So please, take a moment to read and then sign if you think it warrants it.
www.stargazerslounge.com said:
Hi

Can you please help make our skies darker by signing the petition below. It takes less than a minute.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/LightingSavings/

My thinking is that government doesn't listen when people ask for dark skies as its not seen as a sexy vote winner but this government is concerned about their green credentials and also reducing taxes if only to spend the money on something else. So, if the government mandates that councils reduce spending on lighting the ways in which to do it are very few:

1) switch lights off after a certain time
2) only have some of the lights switched on
3) don't power them so high
4) put in new lights that are more efficient and, hence, don't shine upwards

I'm basically saying to them, you can save money, you can reduce your greenhouse emissions, you look good to your friends in Brussels and we all benefit from lower taxes and a better view of the night sky. As there's something in it for them then, you never know, they may then do something. The reason for giving until Jan 2012 is two-fold:

a) these things take time to implement
b) there's an additional benefit with the Olympics by showing what a green country we are

I think there must be at least an outside chance that someone may read the petition and, at the end of the day "you never know".

As you can see, there is something in this proposal for everyone, not just astronomers so, please, please, please sign the petition, ask your friends to sign and ask them to ask their friends to sign. If enough people do then this issue may move up the list on the agenda and we may get some air time and something may be done.

Many thanks and that link once again is http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/LightingSavings/.

Phil

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Won't work I am afraid. Couple of councils have tried the turning lights off thing and there was uproar in the local community. The other options mean government spending which is less than likely with the current economic climate.

Caporegime
guess lights dont really matter if you happen to live in a nice area. where i live i bet you wouldnt walk around with the lights on nevermind them off :rolleyes:

Associate
I have no street lights near me :) its perfect for star gazing

I agree though they should only have lights on streets that emit light downwards not upwards

Soldato
Signed it. I'm no astronomer, but it was only when I went to Indonesia and saw what the sky was meant to look like that I realised what we were all missing out on. The milky way is amazing.

Soldato
Nice idea... but seriously can someone find me proof that one of these online petitions has actuallly done anything... or has actually worked?

I mean a real one... not just something like a Petition to get Tefal to legally change his name to toaster or something.

Caporegime
More efficient = less leccy = less expenditure = less taxes. Though it won't.

because it costs a fortune to change a billion streetlights so light doesnt leak upwards.

all the new lights when they replace old ones seem to be the ones that shine downwards though

Soldato
As much as the sky looks great at night... I quite like street lights, they help to see where I'm going.
Turning them off could be an option, if you're a fool. I can only imagine the delight it would bring to all the scum on the streets.

"b) there's an additional benefit with the Olympics by showing what a green country we are"

WTF? Who gives a **** about the olympics? They're already leeching away a hilarious amount of money for pretty much zero reason, why spend more on a crackpot idea to throw money at street lighting?

Edit: It's not because it's "not the sexy vote" it's because the street lights are there for a reason...

Soldato
Our town had new efficent 'down lighters' fitted a couple of years ago...I thought this was the norm as the older type were dangerous?

Wont happen though, most of the time they are used for security. Hence why I wont be signing I am afraid.

Soldato
The street lights round here (if they go out) take a while to come back on to full light, it would just be an annoyance to have lights going on and off continuosly, possibly waste more power?
It would no doubt cost the Earth to install also.

Man of Honour
No thanks, switching lights of is not a good idea.

switching to new lights is a good idea, but the expense would be huge and it would not be green. the transport and construction would pollute far more than decades with the current system. There idea is flawed like a person buying a diesel car to save money over 10k a year,

Soldato
they've been gradually switching to new lights for ages, cant see this making any difference to those plans, I'm sure the government are well aware of the environmental issues of streetlights, cant see how this petition would possibly change anything, anything it's asking for specifically either straight up wont happen or is in progress already

Back
Top Bottom