Help make out skies darker.

Associate
Signed, as an amateur astronomer it sucks to live in the uk with our sickly orange glowing night time sky. A family friend has a villa north of La Vineula in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada which I go out to a couple of times a year and the dark skies out there are breathtaking, really shows you what we are missing out on

Man of Honour
Signed, as an amateur astronomer it sucks to live in the uk with our sickly orange glowing night time sky. A family friend has a villa north of La Vineula in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada which I go out to a couple of times a year and the dark skies out there are breathtaking, really shows you what we are missing out on

What do you want to happen, switch lights of. that's never going to happen. Increased accidents and crime.

If you want astronomy you will have to move, unfortunate but there's not many options at the minute.

Soldato
No thanks, I'd much prefer the streets were properly lit. What about those who work nights and need lighting on the streets so they can find their way/don't get set upon? My girlfriend finishes late in the evening, I don't want her walking in the dark WITH street lamps, let alone without them.

Find more efficient ways of lighting the streets, sure, but if you want a dark sky, go out of the city.

Associate
what's the point, not like the government really pays atention to these sorts of things. Don't get me wrong I appreciate the sentiment but realistically expecting this to acheive anything is a little naive.

Soldato
Can't agree more, the sky here is Southampton is horrid, it's just orange. Even on a clear night all you can see is the odd planet (Mars visible to the south about now).

But home in the lakes, I look up and I can see so many stars, it's stunning to see the difference.

Man of Honour
Can't agree more, the sky here is Southampton is horrid, it's just orange. Even on a clear night all you can see is the odd planet (Mars visible to the south about now).

But home in the lakes, I look up and I can see so many stars, it's stunning to see the difference.

But do you want no street lights.. Unfortunately we need street lights.

Man of Honour
They don't need to be one when nobody is walking on that bit of street.

Think before typing. So you fit a movement sensor. your target is lit up and the mugger or whatever is in shadow, genius. It also wont help to reduce accidents, as it wont light up the road ahead.

Soldato
to much impact all this FEAR is having on people, i say turn of the lights, just the other night i looked up and so absolutely NO starts in london it was just a yellow glow covering the entire sky, and this was like 3AM.

in greenland the view was absolutely insane, no lights (except for a small area a few miles away from us) for thousands of miles in many directions

Last edited:
Soldato
Muggers can't hide round corners and such?

Anyone who was mugged either didn't see them until they were close anyway, or saw them walking the other way and assumed they were ordinary pedestrians.

Maybe it will give them an advantage. But there has to be a better way to light the streets without making the sky orange for a 50 mile radius.

Soldato
They don't need to be one when nobody is walking on that bit of street.

Ridiculous idea.
Edit: Can you imagine lights blinking on and off all the time, forget that they don't come on immediately anyway. It would be a ******* mess on the eyes, would be a right pain in the rear for people living in cities also.
I can't think of a worse idea than having lights off and only turning them on when someone is near.

Want stars? Move to the country.

Back
Top Bottom